Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#23979 by Ralph Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 am
Hi Nick

I have posted in reply to your other identical post which is here http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 975#p23975

Hi Nick and Welcome to Scamwarners.

In this scam you will be asked to collect money owed by the various companies you are asked to collect unpaid money from.
You will contact these (fake) companies advising of legal action if the money is not paid.
the companies will almost immediately tell you they will pay the money they owe and will send you cheques to cover the debts
the cheques sent will be fake, usually drawn on the accounts of real companies so it may be months before the real company realises that their accounts have been compromised.
Generally, by the time you realise the cheque was fake, you will have forwarded funds to the original person who you are working for.

Having your real acount details in the hands of these people is certainly not ideal, while they may not do anything with your accounts, there is a reasonable chance that they will attempt to gain access to your account or perhaps even use your account to produce more cheques for their next victim.

It is advised that you contact your bank to discuss having your account details changed to prevent any misuse of your accounts.

As to the scammer and any of his aliases (in reality all of the people you have been introduced to as well as the original person who contacted you) please completely ignore them, do not reply to their emails regardless of what they have told you.

If you have received cheques or if you receive any cheques in the future, please take these (unopened if possible) complete with any envelope to your local police who may be able to alert the real account owners of the fraudulent use

Please continue discussion on this topic in this thread to prevent multiple threads on the same subject
Advertisement

#24203 by Michelle Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:43 pm
Houston lawyer loses big in Internet scam

http://www.kens5.com/news/Houston-lawye ... 93722.html

A successful Houston lawyer says he fell for an elaborate Internet scam that ended up costing him $182,500.

Houston attorney Richard T. Howell, a law partner at Buckley, White, Castaneda and Howell, says he would rather not be in the news, because what happened to him is embarrassing to say the least. But hoping others won’t fall into the same trap, Howell decided to sit down and talk with 11 News.

“I’ve had to put a second lien on my house. It has been an extremely stressful time for both my wife and I,” Howell said.

It all began when Howell received an e-mail from a company, 8,000 miles away, that wanted him to legally pursue four of its U.S. customers who owed it money............

kens5.com news

#24303 by Arnold Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:14 pm
Sent to my Scamwarners email address, so this scam isn't always targeted at lawyers.
Legal Representation
from Qin Lee Wang <[email protected]>
reply-to [email protected]
to [email protected]
date Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM
subject Legal Representation

The management of Dalian Leong Yang Trading Co. Ltd requires your legal
representation for our North American delinquent Customers.

We are of the opinion that a reputable attorney is required to represent
us in North America in order for us to recover monies due to our
organization by overseas customers, and as well follow up with these
accounts. In order to achieve these objectives a good and reputable law
firm like yours will be required to handle this service.We understand that
a proper Attorney Client agreement must be entered into by both
parties.This will be done immediately we receive your letter of
acceptance.

Your questions regarding this proposal are welcome. Once more thank you
for taking time from your busy Schedule to read this mail.

Sincerely

Qin Lee Wang
Dalian Leong Yang Trading Co. Ltd

#25583 by bill_b3llo Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:36 am
From the Massachusetts Bar Association:

For Immediate Release
April 2, 2010

Communications Director
(617) 778-1902

US Atty Carmen Ortiz Warns About Attorney Collections Scam

US Attorney Carmen Ortiz has issued the following alert regarding an Attorney Collections Scam:

"It has come to my attention that several law firms in Massachusetts and elsewhere in the United States have been victimized by various sophisticated attorney collections scams. In the interest of preventing the further victimization of lawyers and law firms in Massachusetts, I am writing to request that organizations [BBA, MBA and WBA] notify their members regarding the potential for fraud in connection with collections cases.

While the details of the scams vary, there are several common elements. Generally, a lawyer or law firm is contacted via email by a potential client from another country seeking assistance with a debt collection matter or real estate transaction for which the client must retain a local attorney. Often the scam emails appear to come from legitimate American attorneys on behalf of the foreign client, and generally both the client and debtor use the names of real companies or individuals.

Shortly after the law firm is retained, either the purported client or the purported debtor will notify the attorney that all or part of the debt is undisputed and that the debtor will repay some or all of the debt directly to the law firm. Shortly thereafter, the law firm receives a check ? which in fact is counterfeit. The counterfeit checks, which in most cases appear to be cashiers' or other official checks, look legitimate to the naked eye and in some instances even financial institutions have failed to identify the checks as counterfeit. A verification phone number printed on the counterfeit checks leads back to the fraudsters; in many cases victim law firms have used that phone number to "verify" the counterfeit checks. After the law firm deposits the check, the purported client instructs the lawyer to wire the funds, less the attorney's fee, to the client. Commonly, the checks "clear" initial processing through the law firm's banks and are only discovered to be counterfeit when they are rejected by the institution on which they are drawn. By the time the law firm and financial institutions realize that the checks are counterfeit, the law firm has already wired funds to the putative client and those sums are unrecoverable.

Contact Assistant United State Attorney Kristina E. Barclay at (617) 748-3371 should you have any questions."

Write me at scamspook at gmail.com
#26511 by jimmyb0300 Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
The following is a string of emails I've received from this same scam group. Original contact came from a fake Lawyer in Belgium, and then direct emails from Kang in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

-----------------

Dear Colleague,

Thank you very much for the interest to help in this matter.I was able to visit your website where i got your details.

I do not have details on the matter but all i can tell you is that it is a simple breach of contract.However,I have forwarded your contact details to Mr Jizhong of China Steel who will in turn,contact you with complete and detailed information.

Once again thanks for the response and please do not hesitate to revert to me whenever necessary.

Regards,
xxx
--------------------

Kang Jizhong,

China Steel Corp.

No.3111, H.Cheng Xi Rd, Fengxian District,Shanghai

Phone:0086-21-33655887 

[email protected]

Dear Mr ____,
We have reference from xxx Law Office [Antwerp Belgium] in the case of breach of contract, and we are grateful for your willingness to take time from your busy schedule to look into our case. 

China Steel Corporation  was established in 1953 who is exclusively engaged in the business of import / export of Steels & Chemicals and manufacturer's representative of various types of raw materials for industrial use. With customers in North America, Africa, Europe and off course Asia. We request your representation in a possible litigation to enable us collect a debt owed to us by a delinquent customer. We sincerely appreciate your time in reviewing our request and. we are willing to work with you to achieve our goal, as the importance of your services cannot be over emphasized. 

I understand the importance of retaining your services accordingly and we shall provide necessary documentation .We understand your request for more information and we will not relent in providing information as they deem necessary. We are of the opinion that once our presence is established in your state via a legal representative our customer will have no option but comply with payment request to avoid legal action and litigation. 

We believe that a normal scenario will require a telephone call or demand letter from you to our delinquent customer if your services is retained. We believe that litigation should be applied as a last resort as we intend to preserve the relationship we have with our customer after payment is made. We do not intend to resort to litigation unless all other options have been exhausted but we will like the comfort of knowing that the option is available and letting our customer know that litigation may be enforced if the option becomes necessary. 

We understand the present economic meltdown all around the Globe , however we also need to service our creditors. we have been advise by our attorney in Antwerp, Belgium., the need of running a conflict check as a first step to accepting any case that is why we are providing our delinquent customer located in your state for your conflict check and to enable you present to us your retainer agreement for your services. The name of the adverse party is Bell Steel Company in Pensacola, FL.

This particular customer was supplied galvanized steel of USD$1,972,681.00 of which they made payment of USD138,000.The sum of USd$1,834,681 is been past due as our regular sale agreement requires customers to effect payment not later than 30-45 days upon delivery or legal action may be enforced if payment delay exceeds 90 days.
Delivery for this
customer was made in June of 2009 and our calculation shows that payment is about fourteen months late. The customer confirmed delivery of shipment in good condition. It will be very helpful if we receive your standard retainer agreement. So that we can provide the sale contract agreement between China Steel and Bell Steel Company.This will enable our board decide on the conditions of your retainer. 

We thank you for your business as we look forward to your prompt response; and also looking forward to a fruitful business relationship with you/firm.

Kang Jizhong,
China Steel Corp.
1 chung-kang Road,Siaogang District,
Phone:+852-3050-9080
[email protected]
[email protected]
---------

Dear ____,
thanks for your message and all the accompanying observations.We have been dealing with Bell Steel for a while and we took them into confidence thereby release these items on trust based on our previous successful transaction hence we didnt follow our standard proceedure of letter of credit.
We shall be willing to provide all relevant documents but not until we receive your firm's formal retainer agreement for our Board's approval.We therefore respectfully request you to forward your firms working agreement for the approval of our Management team before we can avail you with a relevant paperwork.
Look forward to working with you.
Regards,

Kang Jizhong,
China Steel Corp.
1 chung-kang Road,Siaogang District,
Phone:+852-3050-9080
http://www.csc.com.tw
[email protected]
[email protected]
#26587 by Ralph Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm
Hi Jimmy, welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for posting these additional details, it will help others to avoid being scammed.

If you have any questions please ask
#26715 by bill_b3llo Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm
And another I'm late in posting that was forwarded to me by a great attorney who has been very helpful:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010
To: xxxxxx
Subject: Your Assistance Needed

Dear Counsel,

I was Mrs. Barbara Santos now Ms. Barbara Williams. I am from England but
present living in Hong Kong. I was married to an American for eight years
and we both stayed happily here in Hong Kong. There was a change after some
time and my husband suddenly began to act in a strange manner. He started
seeing other women and became very unhappy with my presence. He no longer
expressed the love I used to know so I filed in for divorce. He consented
and the divorce procedure was completed in England because that is where we
got married. He agreed to pay alimony but till this day he has failed to
make the payment and he now stays in your region with his new family. I will
like to hire the services of your honorable law firm to claim my
compensation money. I need your professionalism to finally get what I
deserve.

Please kindly get back to me as soon as possible and let me know if you will
be able to represent me in your country as he presently stays there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Barbara Williams

#27015 by bill_b3llo Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm
And another using a real estate purchase:

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010
To:
Subject: Inquiry

Attorney,

My name is Wyler Wong, I am a business owner from Hong Kong. I am seeking
the services of a Attorney to represent/guide me in acquiring residential
investment properties in the U.S.A.

After a careful review of your profile Online, I am of the opinion that
you are capable to assist and represent me in the U.S.A for my real estate
investment.

Please accept my sincere appreciation in advance for your willingness to
render your services as I look forward to your prompt response to my
request.

Thank you.

Mr Wyler Lai Tang Wong
Chairman & CEO
Marketa International Ltd
Address 4/F Lin Fung Centre
184-186 Texaco Rd Tsuen Wan
NT Hong Kong
Mobile:(852) 8170 2904
Tel (852) 2407 2322
Fax (852) 2407 3327
Web site:www.marketa.com.hk

#27175 by bill_b3llo Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 pm
And another

Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subject: legal assistance

Dear Counsel,
My name is Suzan-Lee Bayer I am contacting your firm in regards to a separation settlement with my husband Michael Bayer who resides in your jurisdiction. I am currently on assignment in Japan with Sung holdings. We had an out of court agreement (Collaborative Law Agreement) for him to pay $448,450.00 plus legal fees. He has only paid me $44,000 since .I am hereby seeking your firm to assistance in collecting the balance from him. He has agreed already to pay me the balance but it is my belief that a Law firm like yours is needed to help me collect payment from my husband or litigate this matter if he fails to pay as promised.
You could reply me at work or at my personal e-mail address which is [email protected]

Yours truly,
Suzan-Lee Bayer
Cheung Sung Holdings
11th Floor, Citicorp Centre,
18 Whitfield Road,
North Point, Osaka
Tel: 011-852-28060303
email: [email protected]

#27184 by Michael Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 am
marketa.com.hk looks legitimate to me. Sungholdings.com on the other hand isn't. bill, can you send me the headers of this mail?

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#27820 by bill_b3llo Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 pm
And another, with a domain that needs checking:

Authentication-Results: mta114.sbc.mail.gq1.yahoo.com from=kazuhikolines.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=kazuhikolines.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 207.115.20.15 (EHLO flph256.prodigy.net) (207.115.20.15)
by mta114.sbc.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 03 May 2010 12:34:27 -0700
X-Originating-IP: [207.155.248.157]
Received: from alexander.concentric.com (alexander.concentric.com [207.155.248.157])
by flph256.prodigy.net (8.13.8 inb ipv6 jeff0203/8.13.8) with ESMTP id o43JYRK6007193
for <[email protected]>; Mon, 3 May 2010 12:34:27 -0700
Received: (ConcentricHost relay 1.2);
with ESMTP id AEC782531; Mon, 3 May 2010 15:34:24 -0400 (EDT)
Received: by alexander.concentric.com (ConcentricHost(2.70) Relay, from userid 500)
id AEC782531; Mon, 3 May 2010 (EDT)
Received: from 85.214.143.29 (as [email protected]) by register.concentric.com (207.155.248.228) with Concentric Web Mail; Tue, 04 May 2010 (KST)
To:
Reply-To: Frank Kazuhiko <[email protected]>
Subject: LEGAL REPRESENTATION
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 (KST)
Message-Id: <[email protected]>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Frank Kazuhiko [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010
> Subject: LEGAL REPRESENTATION
>
> Dear Counsel,
>
> We the management of KANTO AIRCRAFT INSTRUMENTS COMPANY LTD JAPAN /
> SOUTH KOREA require your legal representation.
>
> We request your Legal representation to enable us collect a debt owed
> us by a customer in your jurisdiction.
>
> The company had some financial constraints in the past and therefore
> could not make payment. They have however has just indicated
> willingness to make a part payment of $1,487,000 to us early next week.
> We are of the opinion that once our presence is established in your
> state via a legal
> representative, the said company will live up to its promise in order
> to avoid legal action and litigation.
>
> We believe that litigation should be applied as a last resort as we
> intend to preserve the relationship we have with our customer after
> payment is made. We do not intend to resort to litigation unless all
> other options are exhausted. We will however like the comfort of
> knowing that the option is available and letting our customer know that
> litigation may be enforced if other options are exhausted.
>
> Please respond if we can work together in this matter. Also send us
> your retainer agreement promptly so that our board can review same.
>
> We await your prompt reply.
>
> Yours faithfully,
>
> Frank Kazuhiko.

#27821 by bill_b3llo Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 pm
X-Apparently-To: xxx via 67.195.8.99; Sun, 02 May 2010 2
X-YMailISG: yQxXtEIWLDsUTbF0uAqSJdi7BkWSzJAEarjG.wG4e2pdXIaX8XRlaVOSZ5KAYi6Iy5zaIQPgiZTTY2_KZk.3Jxub2ct6MxbtUA3wGX0Ye2wPfKFy8eV800isxHqUHwTobZjZKAXaMcKUdqCFgUQ9TNnMkWagyHgL9.ZjSTdbXUDJyKTM.uKejjM4ykOyf8GfeguEcpKYUdI5NfAGxhlL87dWTHpcVC0gr6BvIbtoslXQCdYcKgu1igY_bf3YMCvzCITgJ.RHLyh4t2XZJaGVUN5k0FsnKXRT66CWseW23J8KzoM8O31R.jvacgyzHQ1Q.XNonKIXRW0bV9zUlBxcKswzjvzVFxhF7GooP5z_VcfxCNA4FLS9.wQ5KnEBxXHg_Zhvsw--
X-Originating-IP: [12.178.24.26]
Authentication-Results: mta106.sbc.mail.gq1.yahoo.com from=jacobs.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=jacobs.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 207.115.36.88 (EHLO nlpi105.prodigy.net) (207.115.36.88)
by mta106.sbc.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 02 May 2010 20:11:37 -0700
X-Originating-IP: [12.178.24.26]
Received: from outbound2b.jacobs.com (outbound2b.jacobs.com [12.178.24.26])
by nlpi105.prodigy.net (8.13.8 inb ipv6 jeff0203/8.13.8) with ESMTP id o433BakU021029
for <xxxxxxxx>; Sun, 2 May 2010
Received: from ([10.54.64.21])
by outbound2b.jacobs.com with ESMTP id 4Q3MQH1.53883687;
Sun, 02 May 2010
Received: from OAKMSG24.jacobs.com ([10.54.64.56]) by OAKMSG21.jacobs.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Sun, 2 May 2010 22:51:56 -0400
Received: from GVLMSG02.jacobs.com ([10.105.129.28]) by OAKMSG24.jacobs.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Sun, 2 May 2010 22:51:53 -0400
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message

Subject: Attorney Referral, please reply to [email protected]
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 22:51:50 -0400
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: Attorney Referral, please reply to [email protected]
Thread-Index: Acrqa5N4SSSOSMeYRoqh4Fv3UN31OQ==
To: <[email protected]>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 May 2010 02:51:53.0075 (UTC) FILETIME=[95E5DC30:01CAEA6B]

Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2010
To: [email protected]
Importance: Low

Hi Counsel

I was referred by your local Bar Association lawyer referral service.

My name is Liu Wong. I am a contacting your firm in regards to a divorce settlement with my ex husband
Richard Wong) who resides in your jurisdiction.

I am away from the Country on assignment and currently reside in Japan.

We had an out of court agreement(Collaborative Law Agreement) for him to pay $648,450.00 plus legal fees. He has only paid me $48,000 since .

I am hereby seeking your firms assistance in collecting the balance from him. He had agreed to pay me the balance before January 31, 2010,
but I have yet to hear from him. It is my belief that, upon retaining a reputable Law firm like yours to assist me in collections, my ex-husband
will be persuaded to complete payment. If he fails to make any payments or payment arrangements, we would then proceed with litigation.

Your's truly

Liu Wong
[email protected]

NOTE: this email is being forwarded by my assistant. For any future correspondence, kindly reply me directly at [email protected]

#27822 by bill_b3llo Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 pm
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010
To:
Subject: Dear Lawyer

Dear Lawyer,

My name is Margret Sahikoto. I am contacting your firm in regards to a divorce settlement with my ex Husband (Daniel Williams) who resides in USA. I am currently on assignment in Japan. We had an out of court agreement for him to pay $229,500.00 plus legal fees. He has only paid me $44,000. I am hereby seeking your firm to represent me in collecting the balance of $185,500.00 from him.

He has agreed already to pay me the balance but it is my belief that a Law firm like yours is needed to help me collect payment from my ex husband or litigate this matter if he fails to pay as promised.

Sincerely,

Margret Sahikoto.

And Liu Wong again:

Date: Sun, 2 May 2010
To: <[email protected]>

Hi Counsel

I was referred by Atty. Andrew Martinez

My name is Liu Wong. I am a contacting your firm in regards to a divorce settlement with my ex husband
Richard Wong) who resides in your jurisdiction.

We had an out of court agreement(Collaborative Law Agreement) for him to pay $648,450.00 plus legal fees. He has only paid me $48,000 since .

I am hereby seeking your firms assistance in collecting the balance from him. He had agreed to pay me the balance before January 31, 2010,
but I have yet to hear from him. It is my belief that, upon retaining a reputable Law firm like yours to assist me in collections, my ex-husband
will be persuaded to complete payment. If he fails to make any payments or payment arrangements, we would then proceed with litigation.

Your's truly

Liu Wong
[email protected]

#28570 by bill_b3llo Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 pm
Forwarded by a lawyer, no header

To : xxxxxx
Subject : outstanding obligation
Date : Thu, 13 May 2010
Unit 901-911, 9/F,
K. Wah Centre, 191 Java Road,
North Point, Hong Kong

Private email: [email protected]

Dear Sir,

My name is Melinda Ida I am from London, England but presently living in
Hong Kong. I was married to an American Citizen and we both lived happily
in the United Kingdom. After a while my husband suddenly began to act
strangely. He started seeing other women and became extremely abusive,
physically. He was no longer interested in the marriage, or keeping our
marriage vows, so I filed in for divorce. He consented and the divorce
procedure was completed in England because that is where we got married.

As at the time of sending this correspondence, he has failed to pay the
complete divorce payout, which is on the very considerable side. He now
resides in your State, with his new family. I will like to retain the
services of your honorable law firm to claim my payout money. I need your
professionalism/experience to resolve this matter, and get my entitlement.

Please kindly get back to me as soon as possible and let me know if you
will be able to represent me in your country as he is presently residing
there, so that I can provide you with more information.

Your co-operation will be absolutely appreciated.

Best regards,

Ms. Melinda Ida

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:02 PM
Subject: Representation

Hi Counsel

My name is Winifred Forest. I am a contacting your firm in regards to a
divorce settlement with

my ex husband Michael Forest) who resides in your jurisdiction.

We had an out of court agreement (Collaborative Law Agreement) for him to
pay $658,440.00

plus legal fees. He has only paid me $58,000.00

I am hereby seeking your firm assistance in collecting the balance from
him. He had agreed to

pay me the balance before January 31, 2010, but I have heard from him. It
is my belief that, upon

retaining a reputable Law firm like yours to assist me in collections, my
ex-husband

will be persuaded to complete payment. If he fails to make any payments or
payment

arrangements, we would then proceed with litigation.

Your's truly
Winifred Forest
12th Fl., Kasumigaseki Bldg.
2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-Chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
E-mail: [email protected]
DATE OF BIRTH : January 01, 1975
Last edited by bill_b3llo on Fri May 14, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.