Room for Rent and other rental scams
#288356 by Michelle Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:24 am

Subject: Re: Apartment Details..
To: Michelle Banks

Hello Michelle

Thanks for the interest you have shown in the flat and i am fine with you moving in after your viewing and i know you would like it over there in London. I would need you to provide me the evidence of payment because it is mandatory there in London to proof your financial capability/buoyancy and your seriousness so that i can be confident and well convinced and to assure me that i am really talking to someone whom is true and honest because some funny things are done when people come to houses in the area. You would only need you to make the transfer of the First 2 month's rental fee (1,600 POUNDS ) and Security deposit (400 POUNDS) i.e 2,000 pounds altogether only to yourself as proof, and the Security Deposit would be refunded 2 weeks after move in..And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/).

Moreover bank statements, credit checks, payslips, references, account transfers etc are not valid nor recognized, only the transfer proof of funds in the way and manner as explained.

I do not ask you to send any money to me because i do not appreciate collecting money from people before moving into the flat as well.. All you have to do is to make the payment to your name so that you are still in possession of your cash. What i intend by that is that you would be the receiver yourself after your viewing i would follow to receive the money so that i can get paid in cash and as well sign the TENANCY AGREEMENT. I would surely refund the transfer charges back to you if you take the flat or not, I would only need the scanned copy of the receipt so i can confirm online that you have truly sent the money to yourself so i can be confident and well convinced enough securing the apartment.

You would have your relative or friend abroad go to a WESTERN UNION office and make the payment to you in London as soon as i can find a receipt this is done I'd book tickets to be with you after viewing if the flat suits your taste same day we can go to any nearby outlet and you pay me.

This is how the transfer process would be.

Senders name:- Your Friend OR SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST AND AS WELL CONFIDE IN.
Senders Address:- Their ADDRESS
Receiver's name:- Your NAME
Receiver's address:- LONDON, UK.

By doing this, your money is 100% safe since you are the only eligible to receive it in London. Thank you so much for understanding and i really look forward to meeting you because i am sure you would love it here. I await your response ASAP because i have stopped talking to other people regarding the apartment as well.

Cheers,

Robin.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union, MoneyGram or Bank payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#356417 by Michelle Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am
Robin Bennett <[email protected]>:
Good Day thanks for your interest in my apartment. The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat and am renting it out simply because i have a new job and relocated with my family to New Port, Wales. So i will need persons to rent so that it can be taken care of while am out of Berlin and i will be glad if you take care of the house like yours also its ready and available to be reserved and offered to the market furnished
you just need to move in am pretty sure you would love it here it's a very safe and environmental friendly area no issues lots of pubs, coffee shops, malls and the embassy is just some blocks away :)

House Location: Boxhagener 75-78, 10317 Berlin, Germany
Postal code: 10317 friedrichshain, Berlin.
Rent: 2 bedroom 200 Euro per week, 800 Euro per month all bills inclusive.
Security Deposit is: 500 Euro and refundable after two weeks in the apartment.
Minimum Stay: 2 Month(s)
Maximum stay: 5 years.

House Amenities: CD - DVD - Video,Radio, Flat-screen TV, High- speed
Internet with WiFi, Washing Machine, Dryer,Heating iron and Ironing
board, Bed Linen & Towels, Master Bedroom, A guest room, Modern
bathroom, Rest Room so neat.

Kitchen amenities: Electric Kettle,Toaster,Dishwasher,Refrigerator,
Microwave, Fully Equipped Open Kitchen with latest utensils,

Rooms:
2 Single Bed (1x2m), Bathroom with Tub, Washing Machine, King Size
Beds 1,80x2m and Sofa.

Full description:
2 bedroom apartment. The apartment has its own front door and has a
phone. The property is accessed from two main roads. Ample on-street
parking is available on both roads, A subway stop is 4-minutes away.
Very central!.

Accommodation Briefly comprises: open-plan living/dining/kitchen area
with electric cooker and hob, washing machine and laminate wood
flooring and a tiled main bathroom with electric shower over bath. PVC
double-glazed windows to the front and GFCH.

The apartment comprises separate fully tiled bathroom with bath and
power shower.

Let me know if you have any other question to ask :)

Regards,
Robin Bennett.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union, MoneyGram or Bank payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

#394063 by IzzyS Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 am
This person also tried to scam me. The listing was almost exactly the same as the others only listed in Berlin. I was very excited at first that I may have finally found a place in Berlin after searching for two months.

"Robin" urged me to reply quickly and would text and call repeatedly until I replied if I ever left text messages unread. There were many warning signs, he was misinformed on how the registration process works in Germany. (I won't say how here incase they read this but If you live here you will understand) He claimed he was living in LA and would fly back to give a viewing if I paid the security deposit to the PayPal of his attorney. He sent me a fake proof of ownership, signed by a fake lawyer. And a background check site told me that he was somehow texting off a landline phone. When I informed him on the law in Germany for lease agreements he told me to ignore that and trust him.

What I ended up doing was messing with him just to see how far I could go, saying I would send the money if he agreed to lots of conditions I wanted to be added to the lease, and he ended up getting so frustrated he admitted he was trying to scam me.

Don't get scammed please people