Information on romance scams and scammers.
#296569 by LCROCK123 Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 pm
Terminator5 wrote:Do you know what the account name was on POF? Sometimes we are able to find additional accounts when researching the original account .

No Im not sure when i want to check it was gone and messages were deleted
Advertisement

#296755 by MPG Tue May 31, 2016 1:00 pm
I recently was almost scammed by something like this.

The person who called himself Johnathan Williams, used a private investigator "Gil Whitlock". After speaking with the scammers, I looked up and spoke to the real P.I he said that his name was used before in a scam like this. Since then I have blocked the numbers, gave the real P.I the numbers used by the scammers, Deactivated my facebook and such.

The number used by the Fake P.I was 203-752-6740
The number used by the Scammer was a South Carolina number was 843-274-9752

They wanted me to make payments to a Rush Card through Moneygram.

Is there anything else I should do. I also reported this to IC3. And will be speaking to an Attorney to have this on file
#296766 by Terminator5 Tue May 31, 2016 2:57 pm
Thanks for your post . Can you please post links to any social media profiles that this scammer is using so we can look at them .

Daniel 8 :25
#296920 by Bh567 Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am
I recently had a similar situation happen. Not quite the same details. So I'm quite worried... I link up with a girl named Stephanie who is 19 on POF. We exchange numbers after short messages and begin texting. She right off the bat sends a picture of her in a bra, then proceeds to ask me if I'm single and what not. After chatting she asks for photos from me and sends me more as well. I stupidly sent her photos and she proceeded to tell me she was actually 17 but shed be 18 in July. After she promptly went to bed right after. The very next day I get woke up to a phone call and texts from a man claiming to be her father. Apparently she had her phone taken at school and now the law was involved. The man proceeded to tell me that his insurance will not pay for a class she needs to stay in school, and that I am to pay the 300 dollars for it. If I don't he will file a report and then his insurance will pay for it. But he wants to save face and give me a chance to help? Is this a scam? Please info needed soon.
#296921 by AlanJones Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:33 am
It's a scam and the first post in this thread tells you all you need to know and what to do.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#296953 by Terminator5 Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:01 pm
Please post the phone numbers these scammers are using and a link to their profile on POF .

Thanks

#298315 by Jh1290 Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:56 am
So the same exact thing happened to me today,

Some dude on POF pretending to be 18 started texting me, told me he was 15 and kept pressing to talk about sexual things. I told him Im not cool with all that and really didnt entertain the idea nor contact him again, no pics, no vids, didnt ask, didnt give. He tried to hit me up several times after, but I basically just said Im busy.

Today I get a text that "this is collins father, my wife wants to press charges against you for sexting a minor, I want an answer NOW."

So then the "father" calls me, saying his wife had called the police but he luckily came home just in time to catch the police and say he wanted to try to handle it themselves. He then said they took their sons phone away and that hes grounded for the summer. Also said the son got mad that they took his phone and broke his mothers phone. Then said "its not even about the money to me" before ever mentioning paying him. Then threw in that his wife wants to call the cops, but he just wants to handle it between us because his wife has cancer, his kid is online talking to older people, and he "has a friend thats a private investigator" that looked me up, and he knows Im not really a bad person.

So for a cool $250 dollars to pay for the cancellation of their cell phone contract, we could move on.

Im not gonna lie, I debated doing it just to make this go away because I was pretty freaked out tbh.
He was adamant about sending it immediately, then saaid hes gonna need $700 because now he has to replace his wifes phone. I told him screw that if anything Ill do the 250 because he actually made me feel bad. His conditions were that I paid the money, deleted every text from before, and delete my POF account.

Said he was a christian man, with a wife whos going through chemo, 4 kids, and when I asked who and how I would send the money to, he said moneygram and to send it to his mother in law,"Myrtice Abrams" in serrasota FL who had paid the cancellation contract for him already. and that I could arraange payments with him on the rest.
I live in NC, apparently he lives in SC

I was actually going to do it, he even gave me a police officers name and badge number in case I thought he was joking. I told him Id have to do it tomorrow cause I was going into work. He said he guesses he can do that...

Then I get a text saying his wife is weak, hes helping get her in the ambulance. Then he was going to be spending the whole night at the hospital and to send that money ASAP to the Myrtice Abrams person.
Then I get another text saying his wife is getting sedated for 48 hours, and they may have to operate. And thanked me for "being a MAN and sticking to my word to make this RIGHT" and thanks for helping him out. He also wants the money early tomorrow cause he has to be at work... eventhough Im sending it to someone in FL.

This shit caught me off guard, it legitimately freaked me TF out. Luckily I spoke to my friend about it and he said dude youre getting scammed. And it all kinda made sense.

Im SO glad I found this forum. Thank yall.

Heres the phone #s hes used to text me, and the "minor"s number that I supposedly sexted...
*(843)-226-2800
*(843)-901-9455

This dude is convincing... Hes trying very hard to play on emotions and fears, and the harassing to send the money ASAP is a good way to make sure people dont have time to think about whats really going on. Id love to bust his bubble and tell him Im gonna report him for blackmail and I know hes a scam, but Im gonna make him sit in limbo for a while and just ignore him, while hes waiting to pick up that money tomorrow, and get pissed off. :twisted:
#298316 by AlanJones Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:08 am
You are playing games with a criminal who has access to your real life details as well possibly of those of your friends and family, while all you have is the fake details that he has given you.

Do the sensible thing and follow the advice on the first page of this thread

It is best to stop all contact with the scammers. Ignore his calls and messages.

Ignore all demands for money. If you pay the scammer he will continue to blackmail you. You will only stop paying when you go broke or realize you are being scammed.

Deactivate your Facebook account for two weeks. Change your photo or avatar when you reactivate it or get a new one. Also change your user name. Do not accept requests from anyone you have never met.

Do the above for all social media and Skype.

You may have to change your phone numbers.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#298317 by Jh1290 Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 am
Believe me, Im not playing games. Im doing exactly what it says, block their numbers and ignore them. I dont plan on talking to him again. But hes expecting me to send money in the morning is what Im saying. And I hope hes pissed off because of it.

At the time I told him I would, I wasnt aware it was a scam. Havent replied since. It still freaks me out though.
#298318 by Jh1290 Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:43 am
He said he had a Private investigator friend that looked me up, he knew my name when he first texted me, first and last. I hadnt given that information but I assume anyone who can get on google can figure out that much. Should I be anticipating calls from a fake detective as well? This is really unnerving. :(
#298336 by Terminator5 Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:23 am
(843) 226-2800
8432262800 is a mobile number provided by Verizon Wireless with an area code in SC

(843) 901-9455
8439019455 is a mobile number provided by Verizon Wireless with an area code in SC

Can you post a link to his profile on POF so we can look at ?

#298825 by hpd182 Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 am
On 6/20 I started messaging a girl on POF. profile said that she was 18. About 6 texts into the convo she asked if we could text so I gave my number. Later on the next day she texted from the number (913)-286-0246. About the 3rd message she asked for a face pic. My most recent face pic I had was my Facebook profile pic. Again not really thinking much about it.
She then sent me a bra and panties pic. Me being a little intoxicated, sent a nude pic that I found on Google. She then sends me nude photos of her. She then tells me that she is 16 and that she is going to bed and will text me in the morning.
I deleted the photos and convo. I woke up to 5 texts, 6 missed phone calls, voicemail, and a friend request on Facebook from some chick I didn't know, from a guy claiming to be her father. Saying that we have a big problem and that He found the phone on the counter and saw the pics as he went through the messages. The texts were from the same number as the daughter's. In the text he used my first and last name ( which I at no point gave to the daughter), and he also had my dad's as well. He said that I had 5 minutes to call him back and that he had info on where I live and my dad's info as well, and I needed to call otherwise his wife would go to the authorities.
I going out of my it called the number back. In the ensuing convo he said that he talked to his wife about it and as long as I paid $600 dollars for his daughters counseling be cause she was raped and $350 for the deactivation of her phone then they wouldn't go to the police because that would be punishment enough. He also said that he was sending his daughter back to South Carolina and that I could send the money through Western Union to his wife's sister in South Carolina. He also wants me to text him everyday until I do.
I did some digging and found that the one number used to contact me with belongs to someone in Topeka, Kansas.
I'm really going out of my mind right now about this. I already deactivated my FB. Was wondering if anyone could share what they think about this.
#298831 by Terminator5 Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 am
Please post the pof profile and any Facebook profiles these criminals are using .

913-286-0246
At&t mobile . Olathe, Kansas .

Thx

T5

#298836 by hpd182 Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:31 am
The POF profile is shortythugzsweetz420

The Facebook is Jenna Duhon. From Perry, Michigan/Grolly, Switzerland

Also the guy that called me had a southern accent like with some of the other cases. I asked to talk with his wife and he said that he would call me back. 10 minutes later he called and put a woman on the phone.