Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#306255 by Costelino Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:17 pm
This poses as a Captain in the army with an Iraq phone number. Pretends to be interested in buying house:
The mail below was sent through Publi24.ro
"capt.marydunwoody
Hello

I am interested to in your property. Please send me more information

E-mail: [email protected]

Tel: +964 781 106 5550

Thanks

Capt.Mary Dunwoody."

Hint that it is a scam: Check the phrase 'I am interested to in ...'
Advertisement

#306325 by AlanJones Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 am
Moved here from Rental Scams - the scammer has no interest in buying houses, he will us the money he is "sending" as excuses for needing advance fees.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#306432 by Mike Wilson Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:54 pm
The scammer made very obvious mistakes that confirms he is not a member of the US military.

Do not explain to the scammer what he did wrong.

Thanks for your response, hope you doing great and your family? I pray you are all safe and good. I want thank you so much for the urgent response on your property and I wish to let you know that I am sincerely interested in your property and I am surely taking this property on your prize and I am hoping as well that we can work together on a better and higher platform considering my relocation to your Country, I sincerely want to trust you. I work with the NATO troops in Iraq, on war against terrorism. I served in the 1st Armored Division in Kabul, Afghanistan and now serving in Baghdad Iraq.

I will need this property for my private purposes as i will be relocating to your Country Since I have been deployed to come and serve in one of the Military Base in your country and this is why i contacted you so that we can put head together towards my plan to invest in your Country. As a result of this,it will be important for me to reveal to you that I have in my possession the sum of $8.250 million ( Eight Million Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand American Dollars ) which i got during our raid on terrorism in Baghdad, Iraq. and as soon as I hear from you of your reassurance to assist me then I will communicate for the delivery with the help of a red cross cargo jet.

I have this money stored somewhere very safe in our camp in Baghdad,Iraq waiting for a moment like this to put the money in good use and now I want the box moved without delay. I have a very profitable investment on hand. I cannot move this money to the United states because I will be in your Country for about 5 years or more depending, so I need someone I could trust. If you accept, I will transfer the money to your Country where you will be the beneficiary because I am currently settling some scores with the pentagon so I cannot be parading such an amount so I need to present someone as the beneficiary.. I am an American and an intelligence officer for that so I have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money through diplomatic courier service. I just need your acceptance and all is done.

Please if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully. I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went to a secured site where I can be sure that the person is real. I believe I can trust you. Right now i am very careful with the way i communicate so as to reduce any kind of risk until this money is finally in your custody. i shall be communicating to you through email and would also give you a call when it is necessary so as to inform you on any important information. I want you to be brave as i have everything under control. I have every proof of this fund in my possession to show you that everything is authentic.

If you are not interested do not reply to this email and please delete this message, if no response after 3days I will then search for someone else. I am doing this on trust,so i would want you to put aside any act of greed or the thought of cheating as we have a lot to gain in this business relationship. $8.250 million is a lot of money which is the dream of anyone. I am in Iraq right now and need to secure this money and send it to you if we reach a proper agreement. I am writing you from a fresh private email address, please delete this message if you are not interested in working with me.

I will send you my photos and tell you more about myself once you interested to work with me. Meanwhile I wait for your contact details so we can go on. In less than 2-3 days the fund should have been delivered to you and I will come over for my money. I will give to you 20% of the sum and 80% is for me. I hope I am been fair on this deal.

Thank You

Regards,
Capt. Mary Dunwoody

Hello ,

Thanks for your response, I believe we have destiny with us. Honestly I feel much more relaxed now in doing this deal with you, and I want to assure you with the life of my family that you will never regret doing this business with me. I am a widower with one child and I love her so much, so I can not involve myself with anything that will put me and my daughter into trouble. I therefore give you my honest and complete words of assurance that this business is completely legal. 100% legitimate and risk free. I sincerely need your assistance for my arrival in your Country in a short period from now.

Like i said before the box containing $8.250 million. I got them during our raid on Talibans when i was serving in Afghanistan before coming down here, My main station is in Afghanistan, so i need this to be taking out of here as soon as possible because based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from here, I have been deployed to come and serve in your country. I need you to assist me that is why I contacted you.

About me: My full name is Mary Dunwoody. I am from Washington, DC but living in Los Angeles, California in United State of America. My daughter is in a boarding school in the States, I lost my husband to Cancer and I went back to Afghanistan and then Here in Iraq; My relocation to Iraq and the time frame to secure this fund from out of the war region of Kabul,Afghanistan to a capable safe hand that will understand the capacity of such huge fund is the reason why I contacted you.

First, let me make you understand my power in affecting the transfer of this consignment (funds). I am in command of my unit in USA Marine base in Kabul, Afghanistan before coming down to Iraq, I give orders, and I am a marine and you know the respect and honor we control. I do not need to give you any further info. I believe you have the mind to understand on this clue.

I will be doing myself a great favor to explain in simple terms how this deal is going to be, I have arranged everything in a way that you will have your own share of the funds and you will keep my share for me until I arrive your country. Now I want you to know that often a Red Cross relief jet flies to Europe from here to go collect relief from donors in Europe. I have two of my men as security to the airplane, I will contact the diplomat whom i have some of my men on guard in his premises to seal up the consignment which is with the red cross security company to transfer to the beneficiary in Europe.

I want you to know that diplomats run a DIPLOMATIC COURIER SERVICE. This service is meant for transferring hard documents and precious stones, and it is called consignment. This consignment will be registered under their service and will be carried with their diplomatic immunity to any country where they have diplomatic grounds and from there he will deliver to you as my beneficiary of the consignment because he maintain diplomatic immunity in Europe without search from any security agency.

Be informed that under the DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITIES AND PRIVILEGES ACT, Any licensed diplomat is immune from search, arrest be it for criminal or civil prosecution, this immunity extends to his person, luggage's, house, property, and even his domestic servants. This is why I will send the money through diplomatic luggage and no security agent will search it until you receive it. We Americans call it DIPLOMATIC POUCH.

In this case, the deal will go like this. Once I register the consignment in your name, the diplomat will then pick it up from the diplomat office after it arrived Europe as a diplomatic consignment in a diplomatic box the diplomat will pick up the consignment from the airplane and then deliver it to you in your country. The airplane that will be used in this deal is the Red Cross Jet which equally has its own immunity because of the nature of its work. Wherever it lands in Europe the diplomat will now go and claim the consignment and then have an appointment with you to deliver it to you in your Address.

Please I want you to assure me that you will never disappoint me in this offer so that I will present you as the genuine beneficiary of the funds. please I advise you to show better commitment in this deal. Always check and reply me whenever I send a message to you. Please note that it will take two days after the registration of the consignment in your name for you to receive it in your address so everything will be concluded without delay.

I advise you to keep this deal very secret if you really want to help me kindly remove the property from the advert list because I must buy it. I will conclude with the Red Cross and the Diplomat will finalize all the arrangement and I will inform you on what to do. Provide me with any form of your identity and full information:

1. Full names
2. Your private phone
3. Your address for the delivery.
4. Scanned copy of your Identification(ID) OR ( Photo )

I plead that you remain confidential as I don't want any other party involved in this deal as I do not want anything to happen to this fund. I send to you on attachment a copy of my ID and my picture for you to know me better and I assure you that you will never ever regret this deal. Please keep all information completely confidential.

I am waiting for your answer quickly. Thank you for your understanding and God bless.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#360325 by olgahelga Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 am
Hey guys! I am from Ukraine and yesterday I receive same letter as you, with the following content:

"Hello I am interested to in your property. Please send me more information about your house. Thanks capt.mary dunwoody."

He send this message via website form, this site with ads for sale \ rent an apartments and houses - dom.ria.com

Next his e-mail:
Hello

Thanks and I appreciate your response, I prefer email communication due to the nature of my job. Meanwhile i am interested in your property due to my relocating to your country please i would have loved to visibly inspect the property but my present location ( Iraq ) and nature of my job will not allow me to do so, please kindly bear with me.

From the looks and description of the property, I am satisfied with it.

what is your best price ?

Regards

capt.mary dunwoody.

I am glad I decided to check his e-mail! Thanks for this website and your posts, without them people doesn't know about this scammers!
#386645 by barbar87 Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am
Property owners in Estonia, beware! The same scammer is looking for new victims by contacting owners via Estonian biggest real estate advertisements website kv.ee. Got this e-mail yesterday from [email protected]:

Hi how are you? I am interested in your property. please let me know if it’s still available. Hope to hear from you soon.
Tere, kuidas sa oled? Mind huvitab teie vara. palun andke mulle teada, kas see on veel saadaval. Loodan, et kuulete sinult varsti

Telefon: +1 414 346 2284
E-mail: [email protected]
Kuulutuse link: <hidden>

The style seemed utterly suspicious, but just out of curiosity I decided to reply to him from a fake e-mail, informing shortly that the property is still available and suggesting a time for showing. Here's what I got from him today:
Hello

Thanks and I appreciate your response, I'm Nelson Logan from USA but currently in Kabul, Afghanistan. I prefer email communication due to the nature of my job. Meanwhile i am interested in your property due to my relocating to your country please i would have loved to visibly inspect the property but my present location ( Kabul, Afghanistan ) and nature of my job will not allow me to do so, please kindly bear with me.

From the looks and description of the property, I am satisfied with it.

what is your final price ?

Regards
Capt. Nelson Logan

That was already such an obvious scam that I decided to google for similar wording and found this forum. Hope that my posting could be useful to others, too.