Room for Rent and other rental scams
#24710 by Michelle Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm
Date: Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: $700 / 3br - Charming 3 Bedroom 2 Bath Home (Winter Park, FL)
To: Michelle

Greetings!

Thanks for your email. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in West Africa, about 4 years... Let me start by introducing myself.
I must confess that I am very very new in this landlord business.. However, My name is Larry E Lecher . I own the house located at (333 Cambridge Blvd. Winter Park, FL 32789). Due to my job as a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church International, I am presently serving as Area Financial Executive (AFE) with the United Methodist Church in Lagos, West Africa.I am responsible for receiving distribution of funds for various UMC projects in West Africa , and all related works with other mission personnel. my current home is in the vineyard of the Lord in BENIN West Africa.I spent less time in the States so I could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when I knew how long we are going to stay in Africa that I decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the House. which I tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. because of this reason and more we need a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

The rent is $700 and 500 for Security Deposit
For this 3 br | 2 ba |

Below is my contact,
General Board of Global
Ministries of the United Methodist Church
International +2347042337213 or 011-704-233-7213

LEASE APPLICATION FORM

FULL CONTACT NAME?

OCCUPATION?

RESIDENTCIAL HOME ADDRESS? YOUR CELLPHONE NUMBER?

YOUR HOME PHONE NUMBER? YOUR WORKPLACE NUMBER?

WHAT TIME IS THE` BEST TIME TO REACH YOU?

AGE & MARITAL STATUS?

OWN A PET?

OWN A CAR?

HOW MANY PEOPLE SHALL RESIDE IN THE PREMISES?

ANTICIPATED MOVE IN DATE?

REFERENCE?

============================== =======
Application Comment

Please make sure this questions are fill correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your applications.

Regards,
Larry E Lecher.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#58633 by oolieoh Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm
First of all, thank you for posting this. I have recently come across the EXACT same listing, word for word, in New Orleans, as follows:

Greetings!

Thanks for your email. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in West Africa, about 4 years... Let me start by introducing myself.
I must confess that I am very very new in this landlord business.. However, My name is J N Crosby, I own the house located at (4220 Cadiz Street, New Orleans LA 70125). Due to my job as a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church International, I am presently serving as Area Financial Executive (AFE) with the United Methodist Church in Lagos, West Africa.I am responsible for receiving distribution of funds for various UMC projects in West Africa , and all related works with other mission personnel. my current home is in the vineyard of the Lord in BENIN West Africa.I spent less time in the States so I could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when I knew how long we are going to stay in Africa that I decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the House. which I tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. because of this reason and more we need a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

The rent is $600 and 700 for Security Deposit
For this 2Bedroom, 2 Bath
Features: Air Conditioning, Dishwasher, Fireplace, Garage, Washer & Dryer, Yard

LEASE APPLICATION FORM

FULL CONTACT NAME?

OCCUPATION?

RESIDENTIAL HOME ADDRESS? YOUR CELLPHONE NUMBER?

YOUR HOME PHONE NUMBER? YOUR WORKPLACE NUMBER?

WHAT TIME IS THE` BEST TIME TO REACH YOU?

AGE & MARITAL STATUS?

OWN A PET?

OWN A CAR?

HOW MANY PEOPLE SHALL RESIDE IN THE PREMISES?

ANTICIPATED MOVE IN DATE?

REFERENCE?

Application Comment

Please make sure this questions are fill correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your applications.

Regards.
J N Crosby.

There is a special place for people like this.
#58672 by Katharina Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 am
Welcome ooleoh!

Good to know you are safe. Did this scammer just use the same text with a different email address? If the address is different please post it here for other victims who do a Google search.
Thank you!
#328056 by 2017goldenretriever Mon May 15, 2017 1:45 pm
This scam is still going strong in 2017:

"Hello

Thank for your email regarding my rental home. It gives me great joy to know that you are interested in renting my lovely house, it is still very much available for rent and also ready for immediate occupancy. Well I personally own the property which you have requested to rent and i have to let you know that I and my family have just relocated to Dallas, Texas, due to my job as a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church Dallas, Texas.

I am presently serving as Area Financial Executive (AFE) with the United Methodist Church in Dallas, Texas. I am responsible for receiving distribution of funds for various UMC projects going on in Dallas, Texas, and all related works with other missionary activities. My current home with my family is in at Dallas, Texas. Also we will be spending more time here in Dallas, Texas, about 5 years, before i complete my assignment here with the UMC, and that will be when I and my family would be returning back to the state.

The initial plan was to do the renting through the realtor, which we did, and getting one we strike a deal but later my wife advised me on handling the renting my self, because the realtor inflate the price and it was taking too long to be rented. I reasoned with her and accepted her advice. So I contacted the realtor back and requested for my keys and documents to be sent to me here in Dallas, Texas. The truth of this matter is that the realtor would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later and more also I do not have anyone in the area I can leave the keys behind with so that is why I posted ad myself on Craigslist as I am now handling the renting myself. If you notice, you will discover that the price we are offering is far below standard price and this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and other relevant documents to occupy the space. My house is available for as long as you want and if you drive by the house you may see a sign there, you have nothing to worry about it belongs to the realtor handling the renting before i took over it myself, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I am renting this house to a responsible and neat person or family who has the fear of God and treat my house as his or her own. Because we need the property to be taken good care off, while we are away and also we have concluded on renting it out so we can help people who are in need of a home because we believe everybody deserve a home, both the rich and the poor. Which is also the reason why the price we are offering the house for rent is far below the standard price. Also i want you to understand that we spent a lot on the property that you have requested to rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and would want you to treat it as your own if you are accepted and approved as our new tenant.

GENERAL HOUSE FEATURES:

House Address: 4310 Goldenrod Ln N, Plymouth, MN 55442
Rent Per Month: $800.00 (Including All Utilities)
Security Deposit: $800.00 (Refundable)
Total move in cost: $1,600.00
Large 3 beds 2baths
Living Building Square Footage: 2,025 sqft
All utilities are included in the rent.
Property Type: Single-Family Home
Pets are fully Welcome.
There is also high speed wireless internet access.

DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE HOUSE :- Enjoy every bit of summer on your huge deck and very private, over-sized fenced in back yard! This 3 bedroom, 2 bath home is sure to impress. Close to freeways, restaurants/shopping and flaunts pride in ownership from top to bottom. Amenities include hickory kitchen cabinets with granite tops, tile floors, fresh paint, 6-panel doors, jetted tub, huge master bedroom, leaded glass front door, heated garage, concrete driveway, storage shed, and so much more!

COMPLETE THE TENANT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

FIRST NAME:__________
MIDDLE NAME:__________
LAST NAME:__________
PROFESSION:__________
MONTHLY INCOME:_________
(CELL)PHONE:__________
(WORK)PHONE:__________
(HOME)PHONE:__________
BEST TIME TO CALL YOU:________
KIDS:_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY:________
DO YOU HAVE A CAR____(YES/NO), HOW MANY:________
HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE LIVING IN THE HOUSE:__________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE:____________
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR PRESENT HOME:__________
CURRENT LANDLORD NAME AND PHONE NUMBER:__________________

IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING:_______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN:________
CAN WE TRUST YOU AND OUR HOUSE SAFE KEEPING IN YOUR HAND:_______________________

IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET:_____________
KIND OF PETS:_____________

HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE:______________
DO YOU DRINK:______________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT:____
DO YOU AGREE TO MAKE DEPOSIT PAYMENT TO GET THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS:________
WHEN DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS:____________

Kindly write back on how you will take care of the house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. ANY TYPE OF PETS ARE WELCOME BUT WITH SOME RESTRICTION, DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF PET. I look forward to hear from you soonest at your convenient with the rental application form above filled out so we can discuss on how to get my house for rent, are you ready to move in anytime soon? I will advice you drive by and look at it from the outside to confirm the address: (4310 Goldenrod Ln N, Plymouth, MN 55442) And don't trespass the house to avoid getting into trouble with the authority just take a drive by to confirm the address and come back with your comment.

Thanks and God Bless.

You Can Reach Me At: (469) 269-6725

Pastor John Williams.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil...."Proverbs 3: 5-7."
#333049 by Robinson1225 Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:22 pm
This is a good Scam... Almost got me too.
He takes nice houses that are on the market and makes money from people in need of a place to live and is running this pastor's Rep in the meantime.
This is the email he used: blessed.family46 <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Jul 4, 2017 7:43 am

from Saint Paul, MN
#334865 by eallgeyer85 Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Same thing here in Michigan but they said they are in Texas, rental is way below market value for the area. Not only that but the address provided is a house that is pending sale. I'm e-mailing them back and forth just for fun. Can people contact the police with this type of thing or no? It's obtaining money under false pretenses.

Greetings,

Grace and peace to you from God our Father, through Jesus Christ our Lord and risen Saviour, amen.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding my rental home located in 28624 Grayling Ave, Farmington Hills, MI 48336. My name is John Williams and my wife's name is Isabella Williams. I serve as the Council Secretary at Our Savior's Lutheran Church and my wife works at the Volunteer department, I'm telling you this so you could get to know who we are. I would like you to know we just moved to Texas. Due to the Church projects going on in Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, Texas. and we will be in Texas for Seven years before we complete our assignment. This has been the reason why we are given out our beautiful home to bless a God fearing family that are homeless or that probably need a place to call home. We are looking for responsible tenant who will take over the house in our absence and take absolute care of the property while we are away. As a matter of fact, My wife and I are handling the renting together, because my wife and I want to be sure of whom will be taking over the property in our absence.

House address: 28624 Grayling Ave, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Rent per month: $800
Security deposit: $800
Total move in cost: $1,600
Large 3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms
All utilities are included in the rent.

RENTAL APPLICATION

Applicant Personal Information
First Name: _________________________
Middle Name: _______________________
Last Name: __________________________
Profession: __________________________
Monthly Income: _____________________
Cell Phone: __________________________
Home Phone: ________________________
Best time to call you: _________________
Kids: ____ (Yes/No), how many: ________
Do you have a car: ___________ (Yes/No), how many: ____________
How many people will be living in the house: __________

Rental History
Present Address: _____________________
City: _______________
State: _________________________
Zip-code: ______________________
How long at your present address:
______________________________ __________________?
Why are you moving: ______________________________ _____________________________?
Landlord Name and Phone: ______________________________ ________________________

Pet
Name of pet: ___________________
Kinds of pet: ___________________

Habits
Do you drink: ___________ (Yes/No)
Do you smoke: __________ (Yes/No)
Do you do drugs: _________ (Yes/No)
Do you work late night: __________ (Yes/No)

Miscellaneous
How long do you intend staying: ___________?
When do you intend to move in: ___________?
Can we trust you and our house safe keeping in your hands: ___________?
Are you section 8 Applicant: __________?
Do you agree to put a down payment to get the keys and documents of the house: ___________?
When do you want to receive the keys and documents: ____________________?

I certify that the answers I have given in this application are true and correct. I authorize verification of the information provided in this application to determine my eligibility. I understand that if any part of my application has been falsified, it shall be grounds for denial of residency, or future eviction if discovered after moving into the property. I understand that a home will continue to be offered for lease until I have paid a deposit to hold the home for my move in.

We look forward to hear from you soonest at your convenient with the rental application form above filled out so we can discuss further with the renting process. Please you can only drive by to look at the house from the outside for now if you would like to view the house or to verify the address because is currently locked for security purpose.

Thank you and God be with you.

Mr and Mrs WILLIAMS.

You can reach me at: (469) 269-6725.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil...."Proverbs 3: 5-7.
#334868 by Bryon Williams Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

What email address did the scammer use with you?

We do not suggest playing with criminals. He is using all fake details and you are using real personal information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#334995 by eallgeyer85 Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 pm
Oh I have given no information at all. He used the e-mail address [email protected]. They seem to use aol addresses. There's another ad on craigslist for a listing near me that I responded to and I'm waiting to hear back. My co-worker can hack computers and I'm going to give him the info to try and track them down just to see where they are. Do people actually fall for this?
#334996 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm
If the scam did not work the scammer would not scam.

Your co-worker is committing a criminal offenses hacking computers.

The scammer is in Lagos, West Africa.

Nothing you can do about it.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/