Information on romance scams and scammers.
#339266 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am
I was contacted some weeks ago from a Staff Sergeant in the US Army who is in an Africa Peace keeping mission on a Military Base in Nigeria.
He told me that he saw my picture on Instagram and like to know me better. We were chatting a while and than he told me that he fall in love with me. Two weeks later, he told me that I should be his next of kin and benefactor, because he has no relatives and that I will get an email from the Military where I have to fill in my address so that it could be upgraded in his working profile.
I got that email and answered every question.

I got also a second email:
Dear Ms ....,
This is to inform you that you have been officially confirmed as Staff Shy Marcus ... Next of Kin and Benefactor.
The Official confirmation letter from The Department of Army is attached to this email for reference.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely
Col. .....

The email address where I got it is the following:
Military Benefit <[email protected]>

Marcus told me that he is waiting for his leave approval and after 1 or 2 weeks, he asked me to send him money to be able to send all his official military documents to the DoD by FedEx within 3 days for scrutiny and approval.

One week later he asked me for more money (1850$) because he has to pay it for the Liberty Pass Card, the Leave Clearance Card and the Leave Identification Card.

I sent him the money he was asked for, but now, another week later I should send him again money because he need it for documents about his Service Benefits. I copied the part inside (his Colonel sent an email to me where he told me that I can trust him):
...has already applied for his Service Benefits and All is Allowances and he even want all the money to be released to you when the money is approved, but he encounter some little problem while collating all his paperwork and mission documents, most of the mission documents are discreet and classified in the Department of Defense Computer Database and he doesn't have the clearance to get the said documents printed out because it's above his pay grade.
I hereby plead on his behalf to please help him out with the amount he needed so he can get all his paperwork ready and send it to the Benefit Department for the proper processing of his Funds. ...

Please help me because I do not know anything about US Army because I am not American. Am I being scammed?

Thank you for your feedback.
Advertisement

#339272 by Bill F Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 am
Hi Hummel21 -
Sorry to tell you but yes, this is a scam. This man is not in the US military and everything he's told you is a lie just to get your money. At this point you need to cease all contact and do not respond to any of his emails or calls.
You can read more on this here -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6528
http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html
Please post any of the other emails they used to contact you as well as any telephone numbers. This is very helpful in protecting any other potential victims.
#339279 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 pm
Dear Ms ...,

It was brought to my attention that Marcus Gary who is a Staff Sergeant in the US Army currently serving in one of our Africa Peace keeping mission has decided to make you his Next of Kin and Benefactor. I will be happy to know if you are informed about this step and would love to know if you are in support of it as we have his letter of recommendation assuring us of your uprightness and loyalty.

However, I need to make you realize what is involved in being the next of kin and a benefactor of any officer of the US Army and these are listed below.

1. You will be the only recognized person to be contacted and informed in case of promotion, leave, transfer of service, retrenchment or dismissal from active service. Doing this, you will get a formal letter if any of this happens.

2. In the case of any capital health issue leading to disability of any form happens and this officer needs to leave his camp of deployment, you will be informed. The US Army Finance and Benefit Dept will calculate all his health insurance accumulated policy and the benefits will come in your name as it is believed that you will be the only person he can trust with his funds.

3.The US Army does all she could do to protect all troops in the Army especially the soldiers on deployment outside America BUT if the officer which you are the next of kin dies, The US Army will calculate all his benefits, bonuses, allowances and all his acrued salaries and pay directly to the next of kin as it is believed that before his demise, the next of kin is the only person he could trust with all he has worked for.

In conclusion, for you to be the official next of kin of any Officer in the US Army, we will need your full name, address, home or personal mobile phone number and age so we will have all the details on the Army Data base.

After seeing your reply to this message, the US Army will issued a certificate of next of kin to you, this will be the legal document to present to claim any benefit payable to the next of kin of any soldier serving or who served in the US Army.

NOTE: I will be waiting for your reply to this email so I can complete his working profile upgrading.

Yours sincerely,

Col. James Brandon

US Army Welfare and Benefit Dept
#339280 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 pm
Dear Ms ...,
This is to inform you that you have been officially confirmed as Staff Shy Marcus Gary Next of Kin and Benefactor.
The Official confirmation letter from The Department of Army is attached to this email for reference.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Your sincerely
Col. Brandon James
#339281 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm
Dear Ms ...,
I just got your message right now and I wish to attest on behalf of Staff Sgt Marcus Gary that is a well behaved officer in this base, and I wish to confirm to you that he will pay you back the money you helped him with.
You are his next of kin, you automatically have access to his funds.
His leave allowance will be paid on your name immediately he got his leave approval.
I guarantee and assured you that you will get your money back without any delay.
I gave you my words.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation
Have a wonderful day ahead.

Yours Sincerely
Col. Brandon James
#339282 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm
Dear Ms ...,
This is to inform you that the Leave of Absence from Active Duty apply for by your Spouse Staff Sgt Marcus Gary is hereby approved and granted.
The release letter is attached to this email and a copy of the release letter is also sent to him
We wish to congratulate you and thank you for you cooperation and support during the cause of his leave processing.
Marcus will be free to leave the base and go home to you as soon as he meet up the necessary required papers and also make his flight ticket and traveling itinerary available here.

Yours Sincerely
Col. Brandon James
#339283 by Hummel21 Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm
Good Morning Ms ...,
I'm sending this email to you on behalf of Staff Sgt Marcus Gary, he came to me this morning to help him talk to you because he needs your financial help.
It is true that he has already applied for his Service Benefits and All is Allowances and he even want all the money to be released to you when the money is approved, but he encounter some little problem while collating all his paperwork and mission documents, most of the mission documents are discreet and classified in the Department of Defense Computer Database and he doesn't have the clearance to get the said documents printed out because it's above his pay grade.
I hereby plead on his behalf to please help him out with the amount he needed so he can get all his paperwork ready and send it to the Benefit Department for the proper processing of his Funds.
I gave you my word, Marcus is a good guy and I know he trust you with his life, he wants all his money to be sent to you after the processing, and I assure you he will do exactly what he says, you have nothing to be scared of.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Yours Sincerely
Col. Brandon James.
#339284 by Bryon Williams Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm
What is Marcus Gary email address?

Will you please post a couple initial emails from him. Please remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#339353 by Hummel21 Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am
Hello Bryon,

I stopped talking to him and blocked his contact on KIK. His reaction was trying to call me on my cell phone and sending me an email where he asked my why I don't talk to him.

Hey Babe,
How are you doing, how is your health, I guess your doing fine.
I have sent so many messages to you today right from the morning but I didn't got any reply from you, it's unusual of you not to send message to me in the morning nor even read my messages.
I was terribly worried about you so I told Adam to help me with a local phone number so I can call you, I'm happy to know your driving, it definitely means your doing fine after all.
My Love, can you please tell me what is going on there and you've decided not to talk to.
Please, I need you to explain what's going on to me.
I am waiting to hear from you...

Your Babe Love
Marcus
#339354 by AlanJones Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:06 am
Block him on your cell and email and don't respond to him. He will eventually decide that there is no likelihood of stealing from you and move on to his next victim.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.