Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#334972 by Ashara Piyadasa Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 pm
I got the same email yesterday saying that she's in China and moving here next month.

asked for my account number and I did send it to her.

will it be an issue. i searched her after sending the information.
#334975 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

You should have nothing to worry about.

Do not withdraw any money from some one you do not know personally.

Please post the new email address she/he used and the email she sent you minus your personal information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#337741 by frajo201 Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:01 am
I got this mail today from this address (Miller Catherine Edina) <[email protected]>.

I 'm a very social person that respect humanity and this make it so easy for me to get along with whomever that comes my way in life. I do have a working visa and I will be arriving on 2nd of September from China and i will be staying for more than a year in Australia working as a chef too.

I will be transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have one, kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes at http://www.paypal.com.au. Alternatively i can as well transfer the funds into your bank account via my PayPal. If that is fine with you, please do get back to me with your name on the account, Bsb and your account number so that i can transfer the funds asap. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal email address or your bank details. I am paying the rent fee in advance because i will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer and also to the immigration at the port of entry to Australia. Hope to read back from you soon.

Regards,
Catherine
#343073 by Marathon42 Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:10 am
Hi. I received this suspicious application for my room to rent in Brisbane. Googled the name Ashley Owen and found this forum. She is still 27 although she sent me a copy of her passport stating she is born in 1988. She won’t fill out the tenancy application form I sent her but has offered to stay in a hotel for a few days once she gets here. She will fill out the form then since she hasn’t got great internet access in the cruise ship. Funny how she can send me multiple emails and copy of the passport however.
Is there a way to “get” them? Can I trail back on her email and find an IP address? Does that help me? Be good to send her a virus or freeze her computer.
She is using [email protected]
#343076 by Tim Atem Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:19 am
We don't condone anything like sending viruses. The best thing you can do is to post the emails with your personal information removed. This will help warn others.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#346950 by caroline18 Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:25 pm
I received this email after responding a text message that was suspicious. so I googled it and found another Scam :(

Hello ,
I am 23 years old non smoker lady coming to United Kingdom on work purpose. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I will like you to make the arrangement for the total cost covering my stay with bond. I will also like you to get back to me with your full home address for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my little stuffs to the UK.
#354680 by rhysm Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 am
Got a message regarding our room for rent (gumtree) from Ashley Owen. Thanks for reporting the scam guys, the scammer has updated their email again.

Email Address: [email protected]

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am 27 years old non smoking single lady coming to Australia. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I would like you to make the arrangement for the total cost for my first three months rent together with bond. I would also like you to get back to me with your Rent starting date and your address alongside with your post code for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuffs from USA to Australia. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers

The mail was sent legitimately from Gmail, so not much that can be done aside from mark it as spam and hope google becomes better at detecting the end-user abuse.

Cheers.
#365856 by chrisels Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 am
I got this same message! Ashley M Owen now has the email address of [email protected]

She was adamant I send her my paypal or bank details and started listing all this accounts stuff I 'have' to do. When I asked her for confirmation of who she was on Facebook/Instagram/Linkdin etc she sent me a bad photocopy of a passport. I'm now sending through random made up numbers and BSB codes. If the scammer is gonna waste my time I'm gonna waste hers!
#370920 by haymank Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 pm
I got email last night from Ashley Owen also if she has my pay pal details what can happen I've never had this sort of thing happen before
#370921 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 pm
Nothing is going to happen.

He was going to send you a fake/spoofed payment.

The payment would have been an over payment. Then he would have you send the over payment to a third party.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#379557 by dinesh1995 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 am
I am new to gumtreee and I got same mails from ashley owen and she asked to pay to cargo company .
i gave her the bank details is it problem for me?

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am 27 years old non smoking and single lady from United States coming to Australia. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the Internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I would like you to make the arrangement for the total cost for my first three months rent together with bond. I would also like you to get back to me with your Rent move in date alongside with your post code for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuffs from USA to Australia. I will be waiting to read back from you.

Cheers.
Many thanks for getting back to me again. Everything is fine with me. I 'm a very social person that respect humanity and this make it so easy for me to get along with whomever that comes my way in life. I will be staying in Australia for 1 year and at the same time working as a chef. I will be arriving on 12th of Jan. from USA, New York City. I will like you to remove the room advert from Gumtree because it has been taken by me already. I will be transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have one, kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes at www.paypal.com.au Alternatively i can as well transfer the funds into your bank account via my PayPal. If that is fine with you, please do get back to me with your name as it is on your account, Bsb and your account number so that i can transfer the funds asap. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal email address or your bank details. I had attached pics of myself for you to know me better. I am paying the rent fee in advance because i will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer and also to the immigration at the port of entry to Australia. Hope to read back from you soon. Cheers‌.
#379623 by Tim Atem Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:44 am
Thank you for posting. What email address is she using now?

If you've given them your bank account information, you need to contact your bank's fraud department as soon as possible. You should close the account and open a new one.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5