Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#319068 by Kendra_889 Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm
Yesterday a guy want to purchase an item with me.Scotia bank said they transferred RM 450 to my bank account, but my item is only RM 50. then they said they overcharged RM400.
asked me to refund the money (RM400).

He used the Scotia bank to transfer the money.
I check Scotia bank do exist but I stil feel weird why I'M the one need to refund the money.
I was worried it was a scam. I havent paid for it.
Or it is a real scam where they want to cheat your money.
Hope u can advise me. should I just ignore it?

Here is the email from [email protected]

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds on this Transaction
As mentioned in the receipt of Payment sent to earlier and as per our New Bank Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount 450.00 RM refund the overcharge amount of 400.00 RM sent to you back to your buyer via bank transfer so as to enable us on activate your payment.So we want you to follow this procedure or else legal Action will be taking on you. We have also contacted the buyer to know his/her preferred way of getting his/her money back. The buyer has replied us and choose the best way of getting the overcharge payment back which is through Money Transfer. The buyer of your item hereby request that the payment is to be sent directly to his preferred address and the overcharge amount should be sent via Bank Money Transfer to the following address.

Please advise ASAP should I just ignore it? If they really overcharged the money, cant they just refund back all money to buyer, why must seller sent the money to bank due to bank mistake.
but they said legal Action will be taking on you if didnt make the transcation.
As they have my name and my account number.
that why I was worried.
Advertisement

#319070 by Bryon Williams Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

It is a scam.

You received a fake email from Scotia Bank.

The scammer did not send you any money. He wants to steal your money by having you send the fake over payment back to him.

Sell your "item" locally in a public place and take cash.

Stop all contact with the scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#319078 by Kendra_889 Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 am
Thank for your quick response.

He said FBI can take legal action on me if I do not make the transaction/refund.
Even though he got my full name, contact number and account number.
I will be safe? Lol..
But it was funny, It's not my fault, why I need to refund the money?
Can I just ignore him or block him from contact me?
Or any idea for me to shut him up?
thank advise.
#319080 by AlanJones Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:05 am
Just block him and don't reply any further. He can't report you to the FBI as he's a scammer.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#339512 by AlanJones Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 am
Any email address claiming to be a bank and using zoho.com is a scam.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#351591 by snoopy83 Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 am
I got the same situation today while I want to sell an used item online.
The scammer said he's interested to buy my item but he said he is in Europe for business trip and want me to post the item to West Malaysia. So he ask me for account number etc. then I also gave him.
He said I will receive email from his bank bla bla bla...ok done I receive the email from Scotia Bank.
But the content was:

TRANSACTION NUMBER :-SWxxxxxxxx
please understand that our top most concern is the satisfaction of our customers. We are heartily
sorry to inform you that, We are unable to credit your account with (RM 413.00), Because your buyer's
account could not transfer that amount into your account and the least amount we could
process to your account is (RM 913.00). We want you to understand that the total amount of (RM 500.00)
has been automatically deducted from your buyers account, We approved the (RM 913.00) and it is ready
to be credited in your account after completing the process below:

1. Refund back Overcharge Amount (RM 500.00) to the agent account below first.

2. Take an image or screenshot the receipt of the refund and forward it directly to your buyer
and also to our verification department [email protected] as a proof of
refund for verification.

3. Once we receive (Proof/Receipt) from you, it will be VERIFIED and we will UNLOCKED the
(RM 913.00) into your account immediately.

4. Note that this transaction has been approved on our data base and it cannot be cancelled
or reversed so, the refund is COMPULSORY to complete this transaction by refunding the
additional amount.

Means to Refund

you are advised to make refund to the account below (Agent)

ACCOUNT NAME : Mohammed Hassan Salisu
BANK NAME : Maybank
ACCOUNT NUMBER : 169954000934
Noted (BW)
Once done kindly send the proof/ receipt to our verification department
[email protected]

NOTE: The payment will be reflecting on your account in few minutes after the refund,
which means you must refund the overcharge amount back as soon as possible unless
we keep hold the payment from reflecting in your account and we have limited time to do
this cause it attract charges for buyer.

I questioned him back and he replied was because it's a bank overcharged mistake due to international bank transfer. He sound so unpolite when I question him. And he also mentioned that he will report to FBI if I do not the refund.
Luckily I found this post and I directly blocked him from my contact and stop further message with him.
#355840 by chrisj37 Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 am
Kendra_889 wrote:Yesterday a guy want to purchase an item with me.Scotia bank said they transferred RM 450 to my bank account, but my item is only RM 50. then they said they overcharged RM400.
asked me to refund the money (RM400).

He used the Scotia bank to transfer the money.
I check Scotia bank do exist but I stil feel weird why I'M the one need to refund the money.
I was worried it was a scam. I havent paid for it.
Or it is a real scam where they want to cheat your money.
Hope u can advise me. should I just ignore it?

Here is the email from [email protected]

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds on this Transaction
As mentioned in the receipt of Payment sent to earlier and as per our New Bank Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount 450.00 RM refund the overcharge amount of 400.00 RM sent to you back to your buyer via bank transfer so as to enable us on activate your payment.So we want you to follow this procedure or else legal Action will be taking on you. We have also contacted the buyer to know his/her preferred way of getting his/her money back. The buyer has replied us and choose the best way of getting the overcharge payment back which is through Money Transfer. The buyer of your item hereby request that the payment is to be sent directly to his preferred address and the overcharge amount should be sent via Bank Money Transfer to the following address.

Please advise ASAP should I just ignore it? If they really overcharged the money, cant they just refund back all money to buyer, why must seller sent the money to bank due to bank mistake.
but they said legal Action will be taking on you if didnt make the transcation.
As they have my name and my account number.
that why I was worried.

I have just encountered the same scenario where a guywho goes by the name of David Yxxxx who claims to be from Singapore is interested in buying my product and he has tranferred RM2500 to me for a RM1800 product. And for RM1.8K to becredited into my account I first have to pay RM700. He is also using this exact same bank. Lucily I stumbled upon this forum. I have blocked him. Thanks