Information on romance scams and scammers.
#368613 by JohanLiebert Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 am
Hello, I'd like to share my horrific experience with this too.... I found this forum and thread from doing research, when a good friend of mine was helping me look into this. What got me suspicious, was when he had asked for a wire transfer to help pay for the cancellation of the phone and counseling for his "daughter", I look up the routing number and it was to a green dot bank. Which keying in "green dot sexting 17 years old" got me here.

I'll start from the beginning, even though this shouldn't be too long. I was bored and went onto okcupid, where a seemingly legit woman who was 18 (name was "Carol" or so the profile said) had "matched" with me. I struck up a conversation and she seemed fairly quick to want to text. I agreed. That night she had already sent a pretty suggestive photo to me, without me even asking for it, as a "good night" pic. We continue to talk the next day and the conversation turns sexual, and against my better judgement, I had decided to send some bad pictures myself. She claims that she's actually 17 but turning 18 next month (Which I've seen they do this to make you think "hey it's just next month no big deal".

The next day I get a call from (904) 325-7621 from a "James Buchanan" saying her mother found her phone, and the pics/conversation and is going to press charges on me unless I somehow convince them not to. He tells me that he has family in law enforcement who already seen it, but he'll see what he can do to stop this or make a "compromise". At this point I'm very concerned and absolutely terrified. "James Buchanan" calls me back 30 minutes later saying if I pay for the phone cancellation fees (700$ or so) and counseling (another 400$) they won't seek to press charges against me. Still absolutely terrified I agree. I ask for the bank account and routing number.

When he gives me this information, the bank is under "Shelia Buchanan" his "wife", and the routing number belongs to Green Dot bank, which from a little research showed if I were to wire the money, it would fill up on his green dot card? (I could be wrong on this). He did also mention I could just send him some green dot cards from CVS or whatnot. This is when I had started using key words with my situation, and saw articles and threads like this. I did a search on the phone number (904) 325-7621, which is not a mobile number, but a land line registered to bandwidth, under the name "Lloyd Russell Watson". Luckily, I had figured all this out before I had decided to wire over 1 grand to his bank. Unfortunately he has been contacting my family, so even though this doesn't look like I'll be a felon or registered sex offender over this unfortunate mistake I made, it will probably embarrass me and quite possibly ruin my reputation.

I really wish this scam was more widely known, I had never heard of it until it happened to me, and it's one of the most terrifying things that's ever happened in my life. I'm trying to do anything I can to help the next person before they become a victim, while trying to remain somewhat anonymous, to hopefully not be completely ruined by this man if he wants to start harassing my family.

If I forget anything else, I'll add it to here.

EDIT - this man sounds like a southern African American, possibly in his 30's or 40's. The "Daughter" he used is a blond white woman who looks like she's in her mid 20's.
Advertisement

#368621 by Bryon Williams Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Sorry this happened to you. Thanks for helping others.

Read page 1 first post and apply.

Report this to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#368655 by Ash Solo Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:11 pm
I reported to my local PD they said there wasn’t much they could do but they did give me helpful advice. I did do some research and found a possible person linked to the phone but I would never contact him. I’m still on edge about this just worried about getting in trouble when I know I 99.9% will be okay. The only thing I can t figure out is why would he want me to pay through cashapp? I haven’t seen one case where that has happened. Is it similar to PayPal or something? I’m just not familiar enough, that’s pretty much the only deviation from the normal scam.
#368656 by Terminator5 Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Google cashapp + scams and you'll get your answer .

Daniel 8 :25
#368659 by Ash Solo Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 pm
Oh boy okay I see what you mean. FYI I did confirm that one of the numbers that they use is through Enflick aka Textnow app. It’s similar to google voice. If you download the whitepages app and look through there it is often more specific than the website. Also I did accidentally call the number claiming to be a detective and let’s just say when he picked up (which I don’t think he meant to) I heard a lot of profanities and N word and it was enough to confirm my suspicion in my opinion.
#368660 by Terminator5 Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:35 pm
Well hopefully you included that in your police / ic3 report . We're more interested in the scam story line . What happened and where . That has the greatest warning potential .

#369056 by gambler811 Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Unfortunately I have become a victim in this type of a scam which took several days of sleep, appetite, and sanity from me. I matched with a girl on tinder named Amie who had a profile and age listed of 18 years old and she seemed pretty normal. She asked for my number soon after and when I give it to her she sends me 3 explicit videos. She asked for a photo back and I said no I cannot do that. Well then she tries to plan to meet up with me the next day and then I go to sleep. The next morning I notice she unmatched with me and I don't hear back from her until later that afternoon while I'm getting ready to leave work. However, it's the "father" who took the phone away from Amie and he is yelling at me telling me he saw everything between me and his 16 year old daughter. Right when I heard those words 16 year old daughter my mind and body went into panic mode. I began to feel nauseated and dizzy with a loss of appetite and upset stomach. He threatened to call the police and my workplace. He sent me a screenshot of my tinder profile which showed my name, age, place of work, and job title. He told me I had to pay him for the broken laptop that resulted from an argument about me between the mother, father, and daughter. I freaked out and feared for my life. I began to give into his demands which was to go to an ATM and take out $500 cash. Then he instructed me to go to a Walgreens or CVS and purchase 2 Moneypak prepaid cards and put $245 on each. He then said to take photos of the receipts and send them to the girl's phone which he now had full possession of. He worked me so fast and said it was going to be more than that to cover the entire cost of the laptop. At first it was $500 now it's $1000. He asked when will I be paid next and I stupidly tell him next Thursday (which was yesterday because this happened last Friday). He says hang in there son don't worry I won't say anything as long as you pay and we'll be in touch. I had the worst weekend feeling afraid for my life and what if he calls me or the police come to arrest me? I let him get into my head and believe I was a criminal. So this morning my coworker leaves a note on my desk and said somebody called me and it was very important. Okay now I'm scared because he somehow obtained my last name and now is going to threaten me at work. I turned off my ringer and I am hoping he doesn't call me back. I changed my phone number and I am just hoping that he gives up. I am afraid to call anyone for help so I have turned to this forum. All I know is he goes by the name Glenn Bradley and the phone number is 706-978-6539. I looked it up online and no owner or history. The number is out of Trion, GA which is 3-4 hours away from my current location. I found this website and can confirm that it's the same voice played by Attorney Robert Powers here http://www.thedailyscam.com/is-there-a- ... f-in-town/

Sick people in this world. I don't know if he'll ever leave me alone after I paid once and he's trying to collect the other $500.

Please help if you can do anything I would appreciate it!
#369086 by gambler811 Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 am
I spent a few hours reading all of these stories to really understand what happened to me on Friday. I believe this is probably the same southern accent man mentioned in most of the stories who is trying to ruin my life. He also mentioned that his wife works at a Catholic school and he always kept threatening if I don't pay for the broken laptop that was all my fault then "we're going to the law." The fact that he was able to obtain my work phone number after I changed my cell number is the scariest thing about this terrible person. This is because I work at a hospital where personal information cannot be disclosed. Can anyone else find anything out about this number for me? 706-978-6539 or Glenn Bradley?
#369087 by Terminator5 Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:38 am
It's a Scam . Report this scam to your state / national police or on the IC3 Website . We are not law enforcement here . We're just people . You are the victim of a Blackmail scam . Report it .

#369271 by wallystmuffy Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm
id like to share my experience and hope some other people could reply to ease my worries because Im still paranoid and have been sick to my stomach for the past 3 days.

Met this "girl" late on night on Pof, moved to texting..she sent me pics, said "let me just send you a video lol" and then I didnt hear from her again.lets move on to the next morning to speed this up. Wake up to a text from the "father", saying that she's really 17 and that theyve already filed a complaint to the police but that I should call him. I do call him, and when I was on the phone I thought to myself "this sounds like a black guy kinda".. at several points he was hard to understand, particulary when he told me his wife was an "insurance" seller, i couldnt understand when he said that word. Anyways he said his wife was really mad.. I kept asking where his wife and daughter was because despite being scared out of my mind I was suspicious, he said his wife was downstairs and his daughter was in her room and that he had taken her cellphone away..which I checked and the profile was online for a short time during that convo, which I wasnt sure what that could have meant. He said the daughter smashed the laptop screen during an argument, I asked how, he said against her knee..is that even possible for a 17 year old girl anyone? I was the one who suggested maybe I could pay for it..but I wanted to talk to the wife, he said give me 10 mins..it ended up being 20 and he called back, then as he was getting his wife on the phone he like put the phone down, hung up..waited another min then called me back. Then the wife was there and her voice was pretty high but not like obviously faked, but it seemed like it. I cant remember a lot of what she said, but Im pretty sure it was mainly about the laptop.. earlier when I asked what kind of laptop it was he knew, or at least he said something and he said it was $1300.

Also, when I asked the girl the preivous night her age and where she was she didnt answer the age question even though i asked twice and she said "around lol", then in the next text answered where she was from... The dad also seemed to avoid the question and just said "Im in Michigan". Both numbers were from South Carolina, I still have one that the father used but deleted the girls texts and number. I hungup on both of the parents, said they were trying to blackmail me and that I was recording the thing..then he said "yeah well i have somebody on the line too, an investigator".. i then texted saying youre from south carolina leave me alone,etc, he threatened me again, tried to call me once more.. i ignored.. and 3 days have passed and nothing.. I did receive like a scam call from ohio and an odd credit/bank text that I dont normally receive, im hoping that is related to the bot or fishy person who was trying to scam.

Out of pure paranoia I made another pof account just to see if that account was online and it was, I tried to bait her with a message but she viewed my profile but didnt message me back..which kinda made me paranoid, im just a very anxious person in general and obv Ive read all of the stories and everything in mine says this is a textbook scam but I guess Im still worried. This is the PoF account: https://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?pr ... =191103421

very generic profile. I guess my anxiety is just like "what if this is the .1% chance that this is actually real"..its been playing in my head
#369272 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm
chasitykisses: Huggs an kisses
About Smokes Occasionally with Average body type City Clinton township, Michigan Details 19 year old Female, 5' 6" (168cm), Christian - other Ethnicity Caucasian, Pisces Intent chasitykisses wants to date but nothing serious. Education High school Personality Adventurer Profession Cashier

Its a scam. Do not play with these scammers.

Read page 1 first post and apply.

Report this to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#369273 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:30 pm
POF Terms of Service:
Eligibility
You must be at least 18 years of age to create an account on POF and use the Service. By creating an account and using the Service, you represent and warrant that:

you can form a binding contract with POF,
you are not a person who is barred from using the Service under the laws of the United States or any other applicable jurisdiction-meaning that you do not appear on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or face any other similar prohibition,
you will comply with this Agreement and all applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations, and
you have never been convicted of a felony or indictable offence (or a crime of similar severity and rules) and that you are not required to register as a sex offender with any state, provincial, federal or local sex offender registry.