Room for Rent and other rental scams
#329882 by 2bCarefulRenting Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:55 am
Classic rental scam below. I have received more scam responses than valid ones, looking for a rental property in Frostburg, Cumberland, and Frederick, MD.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/apa/6155983526.html

Thanks for your swift response regarding my property, the home is currently vacant and it is available for move in. I am Josh Fernandez the owner of the property at (703 Rosemont Ave APT 3, Frederick, MD 21701),I got transfer too Sacramento,California few weeks ago and am looking to rent our home ASAP.

The rent includes all utilities like gas, electricity,Internet, water e.t.c are included in the rental fee. We would be staying here in California for a long time and this is why we are actually renting our Home. I am not after the money for the rent but looking for a trustworthy/responsible person too occupy our home.

The keys/documents are right here with us but feel free to go view the exterior and once accepted as our new tenant the keys would be sent to you via FEDEX courier service.

If you interested in moving in immediately or ASAP kindly fill out the application below and feel free to call or Text me (443)-453-0241)serious rental only.

FIRST MONTH RENT
PLUS DEPOSIT OF $800 NEEDED FOR MOVING IN.
PETS OK

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
Full Name:
Desire date of Occupancy:

Desire Length of Occupancy:
Cell Phone ( )
Home Phone ( )
Current Address:
Apt#:
City:
State:
Zip:
Reasons for Leaving:
Current Rent Payment:
Are you married:
How many people will be living in the house:
Do you have a pet:
Do you have a car:
Current Employer:
If a student:
Name of School:

Once I have all this information I will let you know what the next step to take toward renting our home. Looking forward to hear from you ASAP so I can have the required details in my file In case of issuing receipts and contacting you.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Josh & Elizabeth Fernandez.
CELL#(443)-453-0241)

N:B-Please note that we are not available to show the place because the keys are right here with us,you can only view the place from the outside and once Accepted as my new tenant the keys/documents would be Fedex to you.
Advertisement

#330116 by Michelle Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 am

After previewing all your info provided in the application, you have been accepted to be the new occupant of my home. I will be sending you the keys/papers via FEDEX to the address you left on the Rental Application, I need you to know that am renting my home to you based on trust, do not disappoint me because am trusting you to take good care of it.

Kindly go about making the payment so i can attach the receipt when sending out the keys.

Below is the information that you will use to make the Payments through Money Gram Transfer.

Receivers Name: Elizabeth Fernandez
Address: 2905 Terilyn St,
City: Sacramento
State: California
Amount: 800
Zip Code: 95826

ALSO GET BACK TO ME WHEN PAYMENT IS BEEN MADE WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION'S BELOW.

SENDERS NAME................?
SENDERS ADDRESS................?
AMOUNT SENT.................... ?
REFERENCE#........................?

As soon as the payment has been confirmed i will go right away to the FedEx office to send the package and get back to you with the Tracking number so as to know the status of the delivery. Also Ensure you be at home on the day of the delivery.

Kindly get back to me ASAP.
Regards.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union, MoneyGram or Bank Transfer payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

#379027 by MdDubh Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:32 pm
Thanks for saving me time on this one, I thought it seemed too good to be true. They even used the same formatting in their email. It's from wendy peterson <[email protected]>

Thanks for your swift response regarding our property, the place is currently vacant and available for move in. I am Wendy Peterson the owner of the property (202 E 4th St, Frederick, MD 21701),I got transfer too Spring,Texas few weeks ago and am looking to rent our home ASAP.

The rent includes all utilities like gas, electricity,Internet, water e.t.c are included in the rental fee. We would be staying here in Texas for a long time and this is why we are actually renting our Home. I am not after the money for the rent but looking for a trustworthy/responsible person too occupy our home.

We couldnt find a suitable tenant during the opening but feel free to go view the exterior and once accepted as our new tenant the keys would be sent to you via FEDEX courier service.

If you interested in moving in immediately or ASAP kindly fill out the application below and feel free to text,no calls cause am working (210-245-6726) serious rental only.

FIRST MONTH RENT
PLUS DEPOSIT OF $600 NEEDED FOR MOVING IN.
PETS OK

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
Full Name: Chad Sawyer
Desire date of Occupancy:
Desire Length of Occupancy:
Cell Phone ()
Home Phone ( )
Current Address:
Apt#:
City:
State:
Zip:
Reasons for Leaving:
Current Rent Payment:
Are you married:
How many people will be living in the house:
Do you have a pet:
Do you have a car:
Current Employer:
Prefer form of payment
i: Cash App
ii: Circle Pay
iii: Cash Deposit/Money Transfer
If a student:
Name of School:

Once I have all this information I will let you know what the next step to take toward renting our home. Looking forward to hear from you ASAP so I can have the required details in my file In case of issuing receipts and contacting you.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Wendy & Dennis Peterson.
CELL#(210-245-6726)

N:B-Please note that we are not available to show the place because we are away,you can only view the place from the outside and once Accepted as my new tenant the keys/documents would be Fedex to you.

So many red flags like "I got transfer too Spring,Texas few weeks ago"
#379060 by Mrs. Belsky Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:00 am
The first RED FLAG is their misuse of the English language! Other clues are the repeated use of the word "trust." And, of course, the real tip-off is the request for money accompanied by a long-winded (improperly phrased and grammatically incorrect) explanation as to why they're moving. And finally (this is a LOL for sure!) is their declaration that they can't show the property because ..... blah, blah, blah. This one has SCAM written all over it. Glad it's posted here! :oh-joy:
Last edited by AlanJones on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed excessive quoting