Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#4931 by John DeLaney Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:43 pm
Edit, this person used several different names, Kelvin Joe, Humpy Joe, Joe Scott, the formats are the same from each email, so I have put them all together here.

Another typical Auction site scammer, badly written scripts, never asks about the article, never tries to talk you down, offers to pay more than asked, and asks you to send money to a shipping agent.

HELLO
ITS YOUR ITEM STILL AVAILABLE FOR SALE ,PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP
THANKS

Sounds Great,
Thanks for your reply i got all the information about the item, well More so, i will like to have your Info:
1. NAME
2. ADDRESS AND
3. PHONE NUMBER.
I'll make your payment today through Cashier's Check i will handle the shipment myself. The check will get to you in 1-2 working days time and when you recived the check you can then get the check cashed at your Bank or any check issuing bank branch around you.You going to confirm and clear the check. The payment will be in excess as i will want you to contact my shipper with the excess fund for shipping the item after you must have confirmed and cashed the check.I will wait for your bank to clear the check so you can deduct your own money and send the excess fund to the shipper via Money gram .So as to cover the cost of shipping the item from your place to Orem, Utah, it's destination.This really has to do with Honesty and Trust.
Thanks for your Understanding and coperation

edit
Sounds good, i would like to purchase it from you as soon as possible. (I am intrested and ready to buy it now) The easiest way for me to pay is probably Cashier Check from my Bank.I know there are a lot of scams so I have no problem with you waiting for the Cashier Check to go through at your bank or anything,then you will have to proceed to your bank and cash the check when you receive it.I will wait for your bank to verify and clear the Cashier Check before we proceed with shipment.As my Bank Operator informed me that it will clear immidiately at your bank as it was from my account with .Which is Confirms to All American Banking Association rules and standards and attach a pics of it for me to see how beautifull it is and email me your full name and address with your phone number for me to send you the check.
So don't worry about the shipment, the item will be pick up by Private shipping company.
email me your full name and address with your phone number for me to send you the check

Please Email me back and let me know if this helps

Best Regards

hello

thanks for mail me back please send me your home address for me to send the check to you because the courries i want to use to send the check to they delivered the so i am waiting for your home address asap so that i can send the check to asap

Thanks for your mail,check will be send to you very soon,please get back to me assoon as you receive the check and am go to send the amount of $3500 you will deduct your funds and the remain funds to my shipper via moneygram
understand

edit
hello
I have mailed the check to your home address with sum of $2780.You will deduct $780 and send the excess fund of $2000 to the shipping company that will come for pick up at your door.They will prepare all document as regards shipment like bill of sales and insurance papers. and you will able to send the money to them via western union They will also sign over theto my name.You will have to deposit the check for fund at your bank.It will clear within two days.Once the check clears we can proceed with shipment arrangement.Kindly delete the advert from craigs and email me when my check arrives at your door.Delete the advert immediately
Thanks

hello

i am very sorry for late reply i am on the business trip and have send the check to you but courrise i have use to send the check to have problem so i have use another courrise now so you are giong to receive the check on monday or tusday so get back to me once you have the check to i can make arrangement for the shipping to come an pick up item on time the and check is very good and very legit so get back to me when you the check so i can send the shipping comapny information on that day so you will preper for remain fund for you to send to them on that so get back to when you have nice to do business with you

Good Morning!!!
The check was delievered todayI will like to inform you again that the excess fund is for the shipping company so that they will prepare the shipment Asap. please withdrawn the shippers funds today and proceed to any money gram outlet that is close to you and send the funds to the C.E.O for dependable autos shipping company.He informed me that the ship/ment is now in Minnesota picking up item , so that thier money gram outlet confirmed the money he will notify the ship ment to come for pick up immediately and they will insured the item .You will have to sign all document with them .Please send the money to thier C.E.O information below and email me the money gram details such as 8digit refrence # so that i will forward it to the shipping company immediately.
SHIPPING COMPANY INFORMATION BELOW .
Name : Kevin C Onorevole
Address: 809 SE 33rd Street,
Cape Coral, FL 33904
Email me the reference # provided to you at the moneygram store. You will be charged $85 at the moneygram store, deduct that from the extra funds and send the rest.
I will wait to get the reference # .

He wants the reference number, also known as the Money transfer confirmation number (MTCN) so that he can cash it in Lagos, the shipping company is fake, all he needs is the MTCN to cash the money order anywhere

John DeLaney
Advertisement

#13159 by dmontgo Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:54 pm
Joe Scott

Well.......It seems they are back at it again!!
Look Out!!

Well, thanks for the prompt response I realy appreciate your honesty ,This is due to the fact that my mode of payment will be Via Bank Certified Cashiers Check As there are too many scams on internet with bogus account. Once you are satisfied with my mode of payment you can proceed to delete the advert,so email me your name and address not a PO box and also with your phone number to received the check. The check will be mailed via UPS or FedEx air so it will be delivered .please i need assurance that the item would be available for my shipping company to picked up from you, as soon as you recieve payment and cleared your bank Because i may be out of town anytime from now on a business trip I shall forward my shipper's information Then you will proceed to have the check deposited....
#30600 by sashadieken Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:09 am
Just received an inquiry from Joe Kelvin about an item I listed on two internet weaving classifieds. The emails from him:
1. Hello,
I'm interested in buying your loom. Do you still have it. Plese get back to me.
Joe.

2.I am located in Florida but I and my wife are on vacation in London.Can you send me some pictures of it? What is your best Offer? If we can come to an a reasonable conclusion I will arrange for the payment and the shipping.
Joe.

3. Okay. I think I love the pics and your price is alright by me. I would like you to send your name, address and phone number so that I can tell my client to send a cashiers check to you immediately.
Joe.
#30607 by Dotti Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 pm
Thank you for posting the latest info on this scammer.

For those who don't know how this scam works, the scammer plans to send a fake check (possibly certified check or even a check written on a phished bank account) for over the cost of the item. He will ask the seller to give the excess money to the "shipper" by western union, moneygram, or rarely, bank transfer.

The check will be a good enough fake that the bank will issue cash on the check (In the US, by law they have to issue cash in 5 business days). The seller, thinking the check is cleared, forwards the money to the "shipper" (who never shows up for the item as this scam isn't about the item at all). A few weeks, sometimes even a month or more later, the bank will finally prove that the check is fake/stolen. The bank will take the money back from the seller's account--and the seller has lost the money sent to the shipper, plus any charges incurred for bounced checks resulting from the reversal. In addition, the seller face criminal charges for check fraud. The scammer, who is most likely located in Africa, will be untraceable.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#37673 by MittenSmitten Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 pm
just got these today. before reading this site.

from [email protected]

--
hello
am interested in buying your item

Hello,
Thanks for your reply,Concerning my inquiry,Am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i won't be making any repairs on it,i will add $50 to it for keeping it for me, Please provide your full Name,Address for payment.I am paying by Money Order.It will take few days for payment to get to you. As perpick-up, I will make arrange for the pick-up after payment has been received by you.I hope it is in good condition?I would have loved to come check it out but i am presently away on a business trip,so you can send me pics of the item so that i can know it is in good condition,kindly get back to me with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.

Note:
i would appreciate it if you take the posting off CRAIGSLIST today and consider it sold to me.As for the pick-up,it would be handled after you receive your payment.
Thanks.
#37938 by kdrummer01 Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:15 pm
I just got a couple emails from this guy wanting a bed i have and looked up your site. He is now asking about the condition of the items but is not negotiating the price but rest of his email is the same asking to send certified check and wanting to ship
#37941 by John DeLaney Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 pm
Hi kdrummer, as you may have already figured out, the cheque will be dud, Thanks for posting up the info, I keep hoping he'll go out of business but I guess enough people get caught to make it worthwhile for him to keep scamming.

John DeLaney
#61231 by chrisandphae Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:17 am
He has moved on to PayPal...added threat of police action and the name Vester Bruce

Same format.

1) is the item still available for sale? tell me it's condition?

2) thank you for the fast reply.
i am willing to proceed with the transaction now. kindly login to your paypal account and select the request money button located at the top of your paypal account homepage and send the money request directly to my paypal account id which is [email protected] so that i can submit payment to you via paypal right now as paypal is safe, fast and easy to send and receive money online.

If you dont have a paypal account just logon to http://www.paypal.com and set up your paypal account, after setting up your paypal account you locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my
paypal account which is [email protected] once I receive your money request from paypal, I will submit payment to you immediately via paypal asap.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up,my trevor movers pick up company will handle everything, they are international and i prefer them because they offer first class pick up that is not a problem my mover's will schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location, also all required documents will be signed by my pick up company on my behalf...all what you need to know will be done by my trevor movers pick up company.
Get back asap.

3) This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $9,000.00 USD from Vester Bruce ([email protected]) via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.

Payment Details

Merchandise Amount: $7,500.00 USD
Agent Charges: $1,500.00 USD
Total: $9,000.00 USD

Transaction Id:0TR19308DU070734T
Quantity:1

Transport Company: ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES
Address:

Kelvin joe
#112, Moarville Road, Speke,
Liverpool, L70 1AB
United Kingdom

NOTE: This is to confirm to you that the said amount has been successfully transferred by Vester Bruce and has been deducted from his/her PayPal account, which is ready to be credited into your account,been that this Payment has been subjected to be a Payment for an MERCHANDISE purchased from you we reserve the right to make sure this transaction is safe and secured also to verify the legitimacy level on this transaction because of the high sum of funds involved.

The above sum has included thetransport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal MERCHANDISEPAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from the PayPal Customer Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the shipping charges and taxes to the transport company with the above details as soon as possible.

You may contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction at [email protected]
Sincerely,
PayPal

4) AWAITING WESTERN UNION INFORMATION!!!

We are still looking forward to receive the western union details for verification and once it is valid and confirmed your account will be updated within a shortly with the excess amount to be credited into your account short in a while of verification. we do not have the priority to hold your money in our data base more than 24hrs.

Payment Details

Amount (On Hold): $9,000.00 USD

Transaction ID: 0TR19308DU070734T

Buyer's Email:[email protected]

Requirement Needed:

You are now mandated to send the total sum of $1,500.00 USD via Western Union Money Transfer to the Shipping Agent and forward us the transfer details such as.

1) Sender's Name
2) Sender's Address
3) Sender's Country, State, City and postal Code
4) MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number)
5) Receiver Details

Thanks,

The PayPal Team.

5) PayPal authority urge you to understand that our top most concern is the satisfaction of our customers at the same time securing 100% customers protection in every transaction.

Apparently, the transaction might show canceled in your PayPal account but here in our database it's still pending to be cleared into your account, pending onward transfer to your account upon confirmation of western union details. Be informed that the $9,000.00 USD has been debited completely from the buyer's account which can not be refunded to the buyer's account through the PayPal system own to the fact that, the buyer's account is now experiencing limited access which would not allow us refund the $9,000.00 USD to the buyer's account as a result of this transaction.

We believe you entered into agreement with the buyer by requesting money through the PayPal system from the buyer, however, you are now mandated to send the $1,500.00 USD to the pick up agent and email us the western union details to enable us clear the total sum of $9,000.00 USD into your account respectively.or you refund the money back to him. Alternatively, PayPal authority sincerely seek you to contact the buyer to choose another method of payment to receive the refund since the $9,000.00 USD can not be refunded to the buyer's account through the PayPal system due to the limited access case on buyer's account.

You must understand that we are only taking this security measure to secure both party against internet fraud, PayPal authority wish to resolve this dispute within the next 24hours to suit both party as we stand as third party in resolving this dispute timely.

Failure to do comply would result to the involvement of the Police for violating PayPal's instructions and users agreement in act of the 1999 PayPal Law in collaboration with the Law Enforcement Agencies and a proper LEGAL action will be taken against you.

Vester Bruce '' account is presently unable to receive such funds until the account limited access is resolved completely which will take approximately four (1) months. Own to the fact that PayPal authority do not hold customer's funds in database for more than 168hours, We urge you to contact Vester Bruce for preferred method of payment in which buyer want to receive the refund to enable us release the total sum of $9,000.00 USD from our database to your account respectively.

PayPal authority sincerely seek your complete co-operation in resolving this dispute within the next 24hours.

If you have any quarries feel free to reply.
We are highly sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
The PayPal Team.
#121256 by jessg2386 Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm
I just wanted to notify anyone that it seems the same guy (using a similar name, Kelvin Park) is back to it again and is replying to local craigslist ads. Here's the first email:

"I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
disturbance,anyway I don't have time to come over to take a look
because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a
shipper, hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be
delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to
provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of
the check.

Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my shipper to come over as soon
as you have cashed the check*

N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.Thanks"

I was stupid enough to believe this first email (I had a little skepticism, but figured he couldn't do much with just my address), and replied to him. Not realizing he never mentions the actual item I'm selling, my name, his name, or the sheer fact that I had not emailed him before. I personally had so many replies I couldn't keep track of who I had talked to. Anyway, here's the second and much more sketchy email:

"Thanks for getting back to me with your info and sorry for not getting back to you since all this while..i have issues with my family and i had to travel to settle it...i do contact my sectary now to issue the payment to you,because am now out of the state for business trip.You will receive the payment through UPS or FedEx Courier services with the shipping funds. to cover the shipment of the goods i bought from you. Once you receive the check, have it cashed and deduct your money for the goods also Deduct $100 for your running around that I may have caused you during the transaction period and send the remaining funds to the mover via Western Union or Money Gram..,and the mover is also picking some other valuable goods (like household, furniture's and electronics set.) at the same city of your location,to my new apartment.that is why you need to help me and transfer the amount to the moving company Please let me know if i can trust you, so that i can move forward from here.I will get back to you with tracking number immediately the secretary email me the tracking number. Best Regards.

NOTE:...PLEASE DON'T KEEP SILENCE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN TRUST YOU TO HANDLE THIS FOR ME OR NOT SO THAT THE CHECK CAN BE SENT OUT TO YOU TOMORROW...GET BACK TO ME ASAP..."
#130481 by Aelanna Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am
I run a small computer repair business and began receiving emails from a Joe Kelvin (using [email protected]) wanting to ship me 6 laptops for re-formatting. He asked for an estimate, which I replied to, he agreed to the price and now wants to know whether I accept credit cards, which I do. I am now worried that maybe he will give me stolen card information? He has not yet asked for any shipping money, only the address to ship the laptops to, and whether I require payment in advance.