Room for Rent and other rental scams
#379771 by Michelle Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am

Wow CONGRATULATION this is so nice i am glad to know more about you thanks once again for getting back to me with the Rent Application Form sorry for my late response.. OMG I and my wife are so glad to read from you so fast about our lovely house , I just wanted to let you know that we have decided to let you live in our house.. As we have found your application very satisfactory and acceptable by my family..So we would want you to go through this email carefully and get back to us asap so we could proceed in renting the house to you.

We would like to send the following documents to you via UPS SHIPPING DELIVERING COMPANY to the address you sent to us and the tracking number will be sent to you so that you can possibly track and confirm the status of the shipment as we are presently not in the state to meet with you for a showing and also no relative to handle it for us , but i want you to know that we are responsible and reliable people to work with. Please once again, we are giving you this based on trust so please do not disappoint us and i promise you that, you will love the house and my family.

We are with the under listed documents here with us and you will need to make an upfront Payment of the refundable security deposit which is ($640) and a first month rent of ($640) to enable shipment of the Keys and documents to the address you have provided to us, after which you could move in at your convenience... The rent will starts counting next month, so you could go ahead with the payment straight away to make things faster,so you can have the keys and documents of the house with you and then move in at your own convenience.
And i also want you to know that sending the keys and the documents of the house to you will involve an upfront payment do you accept that?

Here are the contents of the document that will be sent to you.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form
3) The house documentary file.
4) Full Description of the house
5) Payment Receipt

I will also need you to confirm your delivery details and also to answer the below questions so as to certify my worries about you taking charge of my house:

Delivery Name:
Delivery Address:
Phone #:

So please do get back to me today so that I will let know the next step to take concerning the payment....The house is available for rent ,so you are free to decide on how long you intend occupying it...Rent already includes utilities..I'm ready to accept either monthly or upfront mode of payment..depending on the one you're most comfortable with..Utilities include:power, water,sewer and trash.... Your monthly rent already covers utilities so you do not have to pay extra charges for that..

Please note that the deposit made is fully refundable should in case you finally gain entrance to the house after receiving the keys and documents and feel unsatisfied or uncomfortable with the interior,but i am giving you a benefit of doubt that you will love everything about this lovely home..You are advised to act fast on this so you don't loose the house to other interested applicants it will be in your best interest to secure the home till you are ready to move in, so get back to me asap.

God bless you ....

Best regards ..
Andrew George..

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement