Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#372872 by MikeAD65 Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:05 pm
AlanJones wrote:
MikeAD65 wrote:I guess I'll just have to turn it around and screw with her and have a little fun before cutting it off.

That would be a pretty dumb thing to do as you are dealing with a criminal who is using totally fake details, but has your real life details and known associates local to you. The best thing to do would be to block "her" and stop responding/accepting money from "her".

Good point, thanks.
Advertisement

#374737 by MikeAD65 Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 pm
I don't know for sure what else you can do but I might start with changing your contact/profile information on Craigslist. I don't know if that will work but they do it using your phone number.
#374835 by elsmiles Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 am
I am having the same issue with my ad on craigslist, but this person is very short in response with crappy grammar skills. It was the quick response to my ad, short text, and bad grammar that made me suspicious. When the person didnt respond immediately and used the excuse that he was busy, I got more suspicious and then he talked about a code and how I had to give it to him to verify I wasnt a robot, I became 100% suspicious which is why I looked up this site. Thank you for posting this info as it has helped me from becoming a victim. I will ignore his txts from now on. :D
#379242 by Kmf294 Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:56 pm
Ok. I fell for it. Changed my Craigslist password and contacted Craigslist. Now what? What do I have to worry about? I’m
#379672 by eowynbisonjoy Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 pm
Thanks you guys! Looking to rent a room on Craiglist for my son and when I emailed some people got a request for this right away, but googled it when it said not to give the code to anyone! :lol:
#379871 by BhamHill Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm
klk wrote:This just happened to me in the New York area.

First message was:
I wanna buy '<title of my posting here>' . you still available?

I sniffed something was wrong, but was curious.

I replied cautiously, and this was their follow up:
I will send you a quick verification code from google, if your post is real send me the code, You know most of the post is fake, Can I send the code?

The ingenious thing here is for the scammer to pose as if he/she is the one under threat. It makes you feel as if you want to help them. But don't.

I can only surmise this is a scripted/automated operation that harvests craigslist accounts and then sells them to scammers who need them.

I hope this info helps someone else. This post helped convince me to not continue with the interaction. So thank you to everyone here.

Thank you for posting this. I was momentarily excited by receiving a text not long after posting an item. However, my suspicions were raised when I received three more texts, each from different numbers, with basically the same format as what you described (minor variation in the number of characters from my posting title that were copied).

I think I reported them to Craigslist, but I'm also posting here so that others might be aware as well.

812-805-0117
918-268-9993
508-499-8954
908-396-6189
#381728 by CARL2591 Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:36 pm
I got a text from scammer wanting the craigslist secret code from faithyoung826 at yahoo.com

the number on text was 732873

I deleted the phone number which I should have searched before I deleted it.

thanks to scamwarners for showing this scam.