Information on romance scams and scammers.
#375933 by SoulReaver49 Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:23 pm
Somewhat similar experience. Met a girl online whose profile said she was 18. We were chatting on Kik, where she reiterated that her age was 18 when I asked. We briefly talk, then asks for my phone number. I give it to her and we text and she wants nudes. I send her a non-nude, but still risqué pic and then she immediately fires back a Facebook screenshot post with that pic and my FB profile, saying that she was 15 and that I sent nudity to a minor and that she would post that FB post if I didn’t give her money. I panicked and did so once, but now that I’ve gotten a level head, I realize this is a scam. I’ve deactivated my FB, Kik, and blocked the number.
Advertisement

#379678 by Terminator5 Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 am
THANKS TO NCIS . REPOSTED HERE FOR ALL THE ANONYMOUS VICTIMS WHO WEREN'T SURE :

November 28, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 38a245515d

Inmates posing as women online blackmailed hundreds of troops in ‘sextortion’ scheme

“With nothing more than smartphones and a few keystrokes, South Carolina inmates along with outside accomplices victimized hundreds of people,” Daniel Andrews, an Army investigator focused on computer crimes, said in a news release.

Operation Surprise Party was launched in January 2017 by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, officials said, and later joined by Army, Air Force, state and federal agents. The announcement marked the first phase of the operation, though it is unclear when the investigation began or what alerted authorities to the practice.

More than 250 other people are under investigation and could face charges, said Jeff Houston, an NCIS spokesman.

Nov. 28, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/us/s ... rtion.html

Five prison inmates in South Carolina have been charged with setting up an elaborate extortion ring in which they blackmailed members of the military by posing as underage women online and collected more than half a million dollars, the authorities said Wednesday.

The inmates, who were indicted this month, used smartphones that were smuggled into prison to create profiles on social media and dating sites to lure in service members, Sherri A. Lydon, United States attorney for the District of South Carolina, said at a news conference in Columbia, S.C. Ten other people were charged with assisting the inmates in obtaining money they demanded from the service members, according to court documents.

The inmates exchanged nude photos with the service members, using photos of young women found on the internet, Ms. Lydon said. They would then pretend to be the girl’s father or another authority figure and tell the service member that their fictitious daughter was underage, she said. The inmates demanded money and said that if the service member didn’t pay, they would alert the military to the sexting, she said.

Five prison inmates in South Carolina have been charged with setting up an elaborate extortion ring in which they blackmailed members of the military by posing as underage women online and collected more than half a million dollars, the authorities said Wednesday.

The inmates, who were indicted this month, used smartphones that were smuggled into prison to create profiles on social media and dating sites to lure in service members, Sherri A. Lydon, United States attorney for the District of South Carolina, said at a news conference in Columbia, S.C. Ten other people were charged with assisting the inmates in obtaining money they demanded from the service members, according to court documents.

The inmates exchanged nude photos with the service members, using photos of young women found on the internet, Ms. Lydon said. They would then pretend to be the girl’s father or another authority figure and tell the service member that their fictitious daughter was underage, she said. The inmates demanded money and said that if the service member didn’t pay, they would alert the military to the sexting, she said.

Daniel 8 :25
#380043 by Melanie Hoover Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 am
Was using jaumo and started talking to a girl on Friday (today is Tuesday now) whose profile said 18 then proceeded to text. (724.367.7244) a call 6 days later from a police officer (304-303-6135) named Brian schettley. I wake up to hear the phone ringing completly out if it due to lack of sleep night before He states the girl was 15. The dad's irate and the mom wants to talk. So he gives me her number (724-862-1133) and we speak and I'm told that she was walked in on taking the photos and got into a fight to get the phone from her. When she left the room she came back into the room and seen her unconcience on the floor and is now in the hospital because she took a bunch of pills when her phone was found trying to protect me (we talked for maybe an hour tops thru texts of her sending me pics of her clothed and then one in bra and underwear).
She then says she wants to know what kind of man I am before trying to talk to her ex husband who wants me to face charges. While I was talking to the mom I told her a bit about myself.. nothing to revealing but enough to know she wasn't getting money.. she then tells me her daughter will need counseling and their insurance doesnt cover that.then later she calls me back because she told me she would call back after work between 5 and 6 and well she called at four said she talked to the dad and feels as tho something should be done about it that I'm not owning up to the situation... she started getting hysterical and crying on the phone worried about her schooling ... and told me that she doesn't want me to get into trouble but there is nothing she can do... I haven't heard from then since and that was at 4... this felt real and has had me in a depressive dump since 11 am and its 1 55 am now.. I really hope this is a scam but it felt so real... they are getting good at this if its not real... very believable. Lmk what you guys think
#380047 by Terminator5 Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:06 am
My opinion is it's the same scam . It has all the elements of the previous scams . Don't pay them anything . Report it on the IC3 Website .

BTW . I noticed you registered here with a name . Psuedonyms only . If that's your name change it .

#380061 by unexpectedshark Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am
Hey, long story short I've become one of the suckers who mistakenly given their Facebook away to a scammer. They've got an intimate photo with my face on it, and threatened to send it to my FB friends.

I immediately told them to fuck off, blocked them and uninstalled kik. Unfortunately in doing so, I've lost our chat logs. Since, I've disabled my Facebook account, set all settings to private or friends only, changed my FB email, removed the phone number and even changed my name slightly.

I intend on keeping it disabled for 2 weeks. It's been 2 days now since this happened but nothing has occurred... Yet. Any other suggestions? Do they often follow through?? They apparently saved my friends details so it's not like they aren't able to follow through.

And yes, I have learnt from this. I'll never be doing anything like this with anyone, ever again. I've had no further contact with this 'person'.
Last edited by AlanJones on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged with existing sextortion topic
#380062 by AlanJones Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 am
Blackmail scammers very rarely follow through with their threats, as once the forward the photo to your friends they've lost all their leverage over you and any chance of getting money from you. The best thing to do is just hang tight and don't be tempted to re-activate the profile.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#380067 by Melanie Hoover Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:57 am
:bowdown:
Terminator5 wrote:My opinion is it's the same scam . It has all the elements of the previous scams . Don't pay them anything . Report it on the IC3 Website .

BTW . I noticed you registered here with a name . Psuedonyms only . If that's your name change it .

It's not my real name ;)

Also when doing a reverse number search on multiple websites the numbers show up as bandwidth or some non voip or something strange feel free to take a peek yourself. But I think I'm gonna change my number today
#381065 by Anotherone Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am
Had this happen yesterday. I had posted and activities ad on craigslist community for friends to hang out. So this one person answered the ad like 3 or 4 times with a nude photo supposedly of them selves and the their email title also read No one special. So I reply to this person with simple hello and then back doing good . And they immediately ask if we can text . I dont normally do texting right off the bat. But reluctantlly I did and emailed a reply with number. So after a while they messaged me . Asking about me and what I like sexually and asking for a nude pic of me and stupid me sent it . Pic did not contain my face. And so they send another nude pic of them selves and I can tell it's a different person in the two pics. And so I then ask for this person age as the last pic look of a person body that would be of young age. So then their was never a reply back at all when I asked the age and stats. So later on in the evening I get a text from a person named John and he is the father and that they have found my texts emails and pics on their 14 yo kids phone and if I dont call them to discuss it that they are going to the police. So I called being nervous as crap. Going thru all the apologizing and stuff he starts on about how much this has already cost them about how he had to delay a plane flight out and his wife has missed work and saying it has cost them 2 to 3 thousand already. And they have no choice but go to police and prosecutor. So then the phone conversation ended and a little while later I get a text that say its going to prosecutors tomorrow at 1:30. and they have involved their attorney and that it has to cost me like it has cost them . So their have been no demands for money yet but the hint was their in their last text sent last night. So this sounds like a scam
In the making to me. What do you guys think?
#381068 by AlanJones Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 am
It's a definite scam. Read the details in the first post of this topic for what to do.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#381141 by Terminator5 Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 am
Anotherone wrote:Thank you for the help

BE SURE TO FILE A REPORT ON THE IC3 WEBSITE

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

THANKS FOR POSTING AND SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES . YOUR POST WILL HELP WARN OTHER POTENTIAL VICTIMS

#381416 by unexpectedshark Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:22 pm
I fell victim to threatened blackmail a few weeks ago. After reading the advice on this site, I cut contact, blocked them, reported them on kik and deactivated my Facebook account for 2 weeks.

I reactivated it a week ago, and 2 days ago someone added me on Kik again. Before long, after some rude exchange this person sent me an image of my Facebook profile image. I IMMEDIATELY blocked, reported them and this time removed Kik off my phone entirely before they could send me another message. No more kik.

Unfortunately I didn't find out if this was the same person- should I deactivate my Facebook account again anyway? Should I just change my profile pic? Would appreciate a bit of advice
#381432 by unexpectedshark Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 pm
What will that do, exactly? They can't contact me anymore besides from Facebook Messenger, I stupidly didn't record the chat logs or their usernames and the entire thing is my fault. Going to deactivate my account though - just sucks because alot of my close friends tend to tag me in stuff.

I guess it'd suck more if the blackmailer followed through lol