Room for Rent and other rental scams
#372656 by Michelle Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, HomeAway will handle the rental process on my behalf due to my offshore job. Also you can secure the apartment now and move in when your current lease ends or when you want.
The first step (Starting the process):
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period with exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport so we can initiate the rental process.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $1200.00 to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation !
The 2 months security deposit includes the first month's rent and it will play as holding fee as well and will be refunded immediately with no questions asked if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( Only if the apartment is not vandalized or something). A 30 days advance notice is required in case you need to leave early.
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account or you can continue paying through HomeAway.
If you find it acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the HomeAway reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. Please remember that I'll have to pay transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Best Regards,

IADC Certified Engineer /Alexander Thompson
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (916) 299 6552

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#380796 by Mike Wilson Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 pm
From: Alexander Thompson IADC Certified Engineer <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: rental for 1br/1ba, condo on 1336 Main Street, Cincinnati, OH

Hello again xxxx,
Everything sounds great. I will move my extra furniture in the storage if you have your own, you choose what will remain. The utilities and HOA are included in rent. Also the parking, there is a private garage. Unfortunately I don't think I can return on dry land until the end of February due to my job so I can't meet you face to face until then. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer.

Alexander Thompson
(IADC Certified Engineer)
Phone: (916) 299 6553
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DRILLING CONTRACTORS
3657 Briarpark Drive, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77042 USA
Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 5:22 PM
To:
Subject: rental for 1br/1ba, condo on 1336 Main Street, Cincinnati, OH

Hello xxxx , thank you for your inquiry,
The apartment I own on Main Street, Cincinnati is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 600.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 36 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me Alex. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Cincinnati a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are allowed. The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent the apartment, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip to Cincinnati so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos (see attached file)

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson
Phone: (916) 299 6552

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon