Room for Rent and other rental scams
#381066 by nikki83 Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 am
holy crap! im currently talking to her now! have been for afew days and she even sent me pics and ive given her my bank details to deposit the money to move in and she has just asked me if she puts an extra 950 can i pay the cargo for her as she isnt in australia till the 10th im panicing now as i have given her my bank details what do i do?
she is under ashley owen
Advertisement

#381070 by nikki83 Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am
[quote="nikki83"]holy crap! im currently talking to her now! have been for afew days and she even sent me pics and ive given her my bank details to deposit the money to move in and she has just asked me if she puts an extra 950 can i pay the cargo for her as she isnt in australia till the 10th im panicing now as i have given her my bank details what do i do?
she is under ashley owen
something just didnt feel right i googled and saw this i feel so stupid for falling for it
#381397 by Pariz Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 am
rhysm wrote:Got a message regarding our room for rent (gumtree) from Ashley Owen. Thanks for reporting the scam guys, the scammer has updated their email again.

Email Address: [email protected]

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am 27 years old non smoking single lady coming to Australia. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I would like you to make the arrangement for the total cost for my first three months rent together with bond. I would also like you to get back to me with your Rent starting date and your address alongside with your post code for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuffs from USA to Australia. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers

The mail was sent legitimately from Gmail, so not much that can be done aside from mark it as spam and hope google becomes better at detecting the end-user abuse.

Cheers.

The scam is continuing.
[email protected]
The exact same story used.
#381415 by Alexfitness Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 am
I also got an email from Ashley Owen, chef after posting a room for rent on Gumtree.
I asked for a passport copy and I even received one and 2 extra photos of her!!
The email text was identical with what is posted in this thread.
#393771 by Tony Nguyen Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 am
Got the email from this scammer, she have changed her email to "[email protected]" and "[email protected]"

"Thank you so much for your quick response. I am 27 years old non-smoking and single lady from the United States coming to Australia. I work as a chef on the cruise ship at the moment and I have limited time to surf the Internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to the nature of my work. I would like you to make the arrangement for the total cost for my first three months rent together with a bond. I would also like you to get back to me with your Rent move-in date alongside with your postcode for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuff from the USA to Australia. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers."
#396169 by ka_regan Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:42 am
Just hours after advertising a room for rent on Gumtree yesterday, I received a text message from "Ashley" asking if the room was still free and if yes, to email reply [email protected]. For some reason I felt uneasy about this text so I googled the email address and am very very very thankful for finding this thread!!! I will definitely not be replying back to "Ashley" now!!!
#396181 by Matthewmatical Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:40 am
Received same text message and email today from:
[email protected]

"Hello ....................
Thank you so much for your quick response and 13th Sept. is good for me. I am 27 years old non-smoking and single lady from the United States coming to Australia. I work as a chef on the cruise ship at the moment and I have limited time to surf the Internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to the nature of my work. I would like you to make the arrangement for the total cost for my first three months rent together with a bond. I would also like you to get back to me with your postcode for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuff from the USA to Australia. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers."
#412515 by michaelw67 Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm
I put up a room for rent on Gumtree yesterday. I got a response asking me to use [email protected]. However replies come from [email protected]. The content seems similar to other messages here. I got two pics from "her".

Here's the last email from her:

Many thanks for getting back to me again. Everything is fine with me. I 'm a very social person that respects humanity and this makes it so easy for me to get along with whomever that comes my way in life. I will be staying for 1 year and at the same time working as a chef. I will be moving into the room on the 26th of June and I would like you to remove the room advert from Gumtree because I am willing to take it. I will be transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have one, kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes at http://www.paypal.com.au Alternatively, I can also transfer the funds into your bank account via my PayPal. If that is fine with you, please do get back to me with your name as it is on your account, Bsb, and your account number so that I can transfer the funds asap. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal email address or your bank details. I had attached pics of myself for you to know me better. I am paying the rent fee in advance because I will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer. Hope to read back from you soon. Cheers.