Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#37203 by candicec Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 am
someone just tried to scam me today. JONES MATTY is the name. add it to the list!!!

they sent a fake paypal payment that said i wld need to ship before funds would be credited to my paypal account. the email was not from paypal. and i checked my paypal account, and there was no history of funds being entered.

i've reported them to the ftc online. not sure if that will do anything though.

scammer emailed me from this email address: Jones Matty <[email protected]> and [email protected]

here is the email i was sent and the scammers info:

Images are not displayed.
Display images below - Always display images from [email protected] <--scammers email that was used to send fake paypal payment.

Transaction ID: 2F695373LB499665RHello [email protected],

A payment of $ 400.00 USD to ([email protected])

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Seller
[email protected] Note to seller
You haven't included a note.
Shipping address - confirmed
Name: Sara Kim (place scammer wanted me to mail to)
800 West Campbell Road
Richardson,
Texas,75080
United State Shipping details
Canada Post First Class Mail
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Goods
Item# ************ $350.00 USD 1 $350.00 USD

craigslist
Shipping and handling
$ 50.00 USD
Insurance - not offered
----
Total
$400.00 USD
Payment
$400.00 USD
Payment sent to [email protected]

Issues with this transaction?
You have 6hours from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

Questions? Kindly contact ([email protected] )

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this [email protected] and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account.
**PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL " from PayPal ® informing you that the Money has been credited.
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------------------------
PayPal Email ID : PP315
Advertisement

#37389 by Cupcake8801 Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 am
I was selling a purse on craigslist for $150. A buyer was showing interest and asked for my Paypal address. A little bit later the buyer sent me an email saying that "she just received a notice from Paypal that the payment has been sent to me and that she hoped I would have gotten my confirmation receipt from them by now". I became suspicious when I saw the email and that she was buying my purse for $250 instead of $150!! . Since this was only supposed to be local, I then typed in the address on the bottom (Sara Kim - 800 West Campbell Road) wondering how much it would cost to ship. Then I stumbled on this post. Identical addresses. :shock: Thank you for posting this.

The email of the buyer is: [email protected] AND [email protected]

BEWARE OF THIS BUYER! :? :evil:

Transaction ID: 2F695373LB499665RHello [email protected],

A payment of $ 280.00 USD to ([email protected])

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Seller
[email protected]
Note to seller
You haven't included a note.
Shipping address - confirmed
Name: Sara Kim
800 West Campbell Road
Richardson,
Texas,75080
United State
Shipping details
Canada Post First Class Mail
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Goods
Item# ************ $250.00 USD 1 $250.00 USD

craigslist
Shipping and handling $ 30.00 USD
Insurance - not offered ----
Total $280.00 USD
Payment $280.00 USD
Payment sent to [email protected]
Issues with this transaction?
You have 6hours from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

Questions? Kindly contact ([email protected] )

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this [email protected] and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account.
**PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL " from PayPal ® informing you that the Money has been credited.
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------------------------
PayPal Email ID : PP315
#37638 by boricotico Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:52 pm
Anoter Scammer to the craigslist list. I'm selling my PS3 Slim and as usual first I got an email just asking if the item still on sell, I replied inviting the person to go to my house and check it out, was then when I got the usual reply for her.

Alice Cockner <[email protected]>
Thanks for your response.Actually,I'm buying
it as a birthday gift for my Nephew and i am at sea at the moment,I work
as a Chef on a cargo ship and due to the nature of my work phone calls
making and visiting of website are limited to us but i squeezed out time
to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want
it to be a surprise for him so i wont let him know anything about it
until it get delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with
it.I'll offer $360 that includes the shipping charges and also for your
assistant... I'm paying with paypal to a confirmed address that will be
sent to you by PayPal,I insisted on paypal because i don't have access
to my bank account online cause i don't have internet banking, but i can
pay from my paypal account as i have my bank account linked to it, i
will need you to give me your paypal email address or you make a money
request and i can make the payment asap for it and pls if you don't have
paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up,go to http://www.paypal.com and
get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail
address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
through.

I'm afraid I don't get the headers cause I already marked it as a Pishing email in gmail.
#37829 by blythewhite Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:20 pm
I had posted a wedding dress and veil for sale on Craigslist Montreal just a few evenings ago.

I received an inquiry today with a nonspecific question from <[email protected]> "hi i just want to know if this item still available".

Already, I had a bad feeling about it--what soon-to-be bride asks no questions about a wedding dress?!? I replied that yes, it was, but gave no further details.

The person replied very shortly after from a slightly different email address <[email protected]>:
"Thank you so much for getting back to me on time, so i would like to
have your paypal email address, so that i can be able to make the
payment for the item right away."

I told him or her that I didn't have a PayPal account, but that I'd be willing to meet and do a transaction in person.

No response since. I Google-searched that email address since I had a weird feeling about it, which led me to this site, which led me to confirm my thought that the person is indeed a scammer.

So annoying. Thankfully, nothing was exchanged.
#38258 by tlbambam Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 am
i have a few more to add to the list. Eva Knight, Peter James, Kim Santone, and Samantha Murry. the idiots were dumb enough that when i sent a response to Kim and Sam, they came back with replies from peter james, when i had never gotten any inquiries from him. BEWARE!!! if they cant meet you or contact you other than email, it's a SCAM!!!! This is the letter that comes from Eva Knight, after she posts a request to purchase items site unseen due to being out of the area and hearing impaired so she cant talk on phone. the second image is from this Peter James. [im][img]Hello,

Thanks for the honesty towards this transaction so far.Well, The overpayment is meant to cover the cost of shipment for the item alongside my other properties including tax and insurance plus the movers fee, As i am moving to a new house.All you have to do now is to take the check to your bank, Have it deposited and it would be cleared after a period of 24hours. After this period, kindly go to your bank, Withdraw the money after you must have deducted the item cost and an extra $50 which am given to you for your run around on sending the money to my mover via money gram. Here's the movers information below.

Name: Jeanette Lingholm
Address : 117 S 11th
City......Lantana
States........ FL
Zip Code.....33462

Do let me know your schedule for the week regarding pickup as i have some other properties to be moved alongside the item. Please do act accordingly as agreed by depositing the check in your account to clear after 24hours then you make the rest of the funds available to the movers via money gram Money Transfer at any of their outlet around you or check on http://www.moneygram.com{click find us} and check for their outlets around and get back to me with the transfer details below (as it appears on the receipt) so i can contact the movers for the pick-up at your location ....Deduct the money gram money transfer charges from my fund also $50 for yourself (meant for any hassle or run around).

1}Sender's name and address (as it appears on the money gram receipt)
2}8 digits reference number
3}Actual amount sent.

Please let me know as soon as you have deposited the check
[/img] [img]Hi,

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry and sorry for the late reply,am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i won't be making any repairs on it,i would mine adding extra $40 to your asking price for keeping it for me. I am paying by Money Order. It will take 2/3 days for payment to get to you.I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town, As per pick-up,You don't need to worry about that I will make arrange for the pick-up after payment has been received by you. Kindly reply with your details on where the Payment should be send to. I will let you know how i intend to pick it up immediately you receive the payment and i know it is in good condition.

Here is the information needed for the payment below:

Full Name:
Address not P.O.BOX:
City :
States :
Zip/Postal Code :
Phone number :(Home or Office and Cell)

NOTE:
I would appreciate it if you take the posting off CRAIGSLIST today and consider it sold to me.As for the pick-up,it would be handled after you receive your payment.

Thanks Have a Nice Day.....
[/img]
#38415 by Kaminka Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am
Re: Jones Matty [email protected]

I received an email from the same person regarding a fur coat I had for sale on Craigslist. I was suspicious of the response and did a google search and found there were others who had been scammed. Luckily he didn't get that far with me. I already reported to the FTC and will be in contact with phonebusters (Canadian report line)on Monday morning. I see that this person is using several different names. You can see some of them on scambusters.com
#38504 by aprizant Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm
I, too, got a response from <[email protected]> regarding my wedding dress. Asked no questions, simply offered to send payment via Paypal.

My question is, how can someone scam you through Paypal? (Assuming you don't ship the item until the payment is received and confirmed.)

Is there a foolproof way to conduct transactions of this kind (i.e., selling items online)? Another woman whom I thought was legit sent me a check for $800 more than I was asking for the dress, then asked me to return the extra money. I told her to shove it.

But other than in-person, cash-only transactions, is there any method I can trust for someone who genuinely wants my item but who lives out of the area and requires me to ship?

Thanks so much--I'm glad I found this site!

APrizant
#38506 by Dotti Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:58 pm
My question is, how can someone scam you through Paypal?

They don't actually scam you through Paypal, because paypal is never involved.

Sometimes they are after your item (generally electronics or expensive jewelry), other times they are after cash (most other items). The general premise is the same either way.

If they don't want the item, they will tell you that their shipping agent will pick it up. They will send you to their shipping agent, who conveniently can't take paypal-they can only take money via wire transfer (e.g. western union). The "buyer" will want you to add the shipping costs to the total, and will agree to pay it all via paypal--you will be told to send the agent's fee out of the money you receive via paypal. In reality there is no shipping agent and nobody will ever come for the item you are selling.

Either way, they will send you a FAKE paypal email, saying that the money has been transferred to you but that it is on hold until you provide a shipping number. It will say that the money will show up in your account once that it done. They might claim it is a buyer protection program of some kind. The truth is, there is no such program in paypal. Paypal does not hold money pending shipping or any other transaction for that matter.

The scammer will then put intense pressure on you to either make arrangements with the agent or ship the item depending on whether they were after the item in the first place. Within days, they may start to send threatening emails, in hopes of getting their hands on the money or the item before you have a chance to discover it is a scam.

On rare occasion (the vast majority progress as described above), the scammer may have stolen paypal account details, and may pay using an innocent party's account. Ultimately, the account owner will discover the transactions, and will reverse them, once again leaving you our of the item or "shipping fees"

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#39386 by glennsmooth Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 pm
Ha! :yikes: I too just got an offer from Matty Jones (you think he/she would change their name by now)... offering $100 more for a motorcycle helmet I'm selling on Craigslist. I received the standard bogus Paypal notice (who would ever think this is legit??) that a payment was sent, but of course going to my paypal account shows nothing received. Then I Google'd Matty Jones and found this website! Hopefully this jackoff can't do anything with my name an phone number. That's all the info he has. Well, at least there are people fighting this bullshit online. Happy to be a new member!
#39405 by Michelle Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 am
Welcome to scamwarners.com glennsmooth

If the only details that you have divulged are very basic, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers, there is nothing to worry about,. This Scammer will be trying his scheme with so many people you will soon become forgotten about unless you continue to write to him.

#39741 by ivebeenscammed2010 Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:17 pm
The scammers don't just hit on items you place for sale. After I got scammed (and most likely kissed my ring goodbye to Nigeria....yes, ME) I posted in 3 states on Craigslist (jewelry) about being careful NOT to get scammed. I got scamming emails FROM THAT!! Asking me if I still had "the item" which I did not mention, just that I had been taken. I knew by then not to answer them.........but the absolute nerve! Hello! I've already been scammed!
#39750 by David Jansen Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 am
Don't be surprised if you get some kind of recovery/compensation scam email. They will try to make you believe you can get compensated for your loss. Yes, they try anything!

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#39815 by kclover Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm
I have just recieved an identical 'PayPal' email. This scammer is still operating. I have reported to Consumer rights Fraud department. I would advise others to do the same so that it can be acted on and stopped.
#39950 by red03171978 Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 pm
I got one today... I am selling a motorcycle and received a email asking if the item was for sale... being nice I relpied yes and sent a picture.... here is the response I got back....

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my dad
and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in
for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a
phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out
time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really
want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything
about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more
than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access
to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can
pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i
will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i
can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get
it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail
address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i
have made the payments...

Thanks.

Right then and there I knew it was a scam.... Poor english needless to say... I may not be the best speller but I sure can put sentences togther... I emailed back the person ([email protected]) and said this was a scam and if you are indeed legit who was picking the item up want a name and who's going to transfer the title... Just wanted to see what they were going to say.... I was not just born yesterday.... get real
#40040 by David Jansen Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Welcome here red03171978.

I'm glad you recognised the scam. Thanks for posting this information.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.