Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#380997 by Damiani Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:15 pm
I posted a new item for sale this morning on Gumtree and received an interested "buyer" almost immediately, wanting my email address. I supplied this, and received the following email:

Thanks for getting back, I’m fine with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert, exactly what am looking for, I work with Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd. Beetaloo Basin, Northern Territory, Australia and the reception is terrible. We do not have access to phone at the moment, which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. I am already in talks with the courier that will handle the pick-up and delivery.

As regards the payment, I can pay you through direct bank deposit (EFT), using paypal instant bank wire transfer service, linked up with my Westpac bank account, I will need your bank details and I will make the payment to your bank account, all I will need is your acct number, BSB number and acct name.
With the issue of my details, transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the freight agent so you don’t have to worry about that.
Thanks….

Await your reply
Valeria
Regards

I was immediately suspicious and searched for Falcon Oil & Gas and then found an old thread on this website with the almost identical wording from previous scammers.

The email address and ID being used is: Valeria kana <[email protected]>
Advertisement

#385246 by AdoJo Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 am
Hi there,
Exact same email received here from a Monica Lois.
***QUOTE***
Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on Kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and I would have called but our calling is restricted. Regarding the payment, please get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal email address so i can process the payment, you can alternatively send your BSB and account number if you don't have paypal account, you can set up at www.paypal.com I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your account.
Thanks
***UNQUOTE***
Received from the same email addres.

I continued the conversation with the scammer. They will request your account details (I gave them fake numbers) and they came back with an email trying to look like Westpac bank.
Typically a physhing email from: [email protected]

***QUOTE***
This message notifies you that you have a Pending payment on our database. We know you are aware it has not reflected in your account due to security and safety measure. We will credit your account with $2,000.00 AUD after you get back to us with transfer receipt showing that you have paid the courier pickup charges that was added to your payment to the courier agent's details. Kindly send the courier pickup charges and get back to us with the payment receipt, so We can verify the receipt and finally credit your account.

We assure you that We will credit your account with $2,000.00 AUD as soon as We receive the money transfer or payment receipt of courier charges from you for verification.
Courier charges $1,000.00 AUD

Note : We will credit your account after you get back to us with the remittance transfer receipt showing that you have transferred the Courier charges that was added to your payment, We want to assure you that you are secured and protected on this transaction. Please, understand that this is a security measure to help and protect the buyer and the seller, We advise you to send the courier pick-up charges, get back to us with the remittance transfer receipt, so we can credit the full funds to your bank account. Contact the buyer and ask for the Courier's agent details you need to send the pickup charges to.

Thanks for using Westpac.
***UNQUOTE***
#385247 by AdoJo Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 am
I do not recommend that you pursue this the way I am doing but I have been able to get some details off the scammer about themselves.
After they told me that I had to pay the courier, I said that I didn't know why I had to be involved in the transaction with the courier so I asked: Do you trust them? Maybe it's best that I pay you directly rather than the courier. What are you bank details?

They replied:
***QUOTE***
Here is the PICK-UP AGENT INFORMATION BELOW:
You need to pay with Osko payment on your online banking
Acc name: Christiana ishola
Account number: 10855122
BSB : 063 464
Bank name Commonwealth bank (Noted MB)
While sending the money, let the reference be " family" this will make the bank recognize the transfer that it was made in regard of our transaction.
***UNQUOTE***
So potentially, Ms Christiana Ishola is the scammer.
Good luck to all.
Last edited by Michelle on Tue May 07, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Bank Details Noted