Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#392633 by Raga Man Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:21 am
This morning I received the following text:

"FREE TEXT from BofA: Did you authorize check 416 for $1,900.00 on acct ending in ####? Reply YES or NO. To opt out of check fraud alerts, text STOP."

I replace the actual account number with "####" because I do not want to post actual account details. I recognized this text as a scam immediately so I did not respond. Just yesterday I paid a contractor doing some work on my house. I paid him with a physical check. It was check #416 in the amount of $1,900.00.

Here is what I found very disturbing about this text... The bank name, check number, amount, and account number in the text are ALL ACCURATE! And, they scammer knows that my cell number is associated with this check. I should note that my cell number does NOT appear on my checks.

So my question is, how did this scammer get all these accurate details. The only thing I can think is that the contractor deposited my check using an online banking app and that somehow the check image was obtained by the scammer. Perhaps the scammer was using an insecure public wifi system that has been compromised.

Can anybody shed any more light on this situation?
Advertisement

#392636 by Troy Platt Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:29 am
My bank (not BOA), to prevent fraud, when send SMS messages to verify large purchases by check and/or debit card.

Perhaps you should check with Bank of America Directly: https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/f ... ion-faq.go

Just as criminals try to steal from people through email fraud, they also try to steal through text message fraud. Typically known as SMShing or Smishing (phishing that happens through SMS text messages), the process is simple: A criminal sends a text message intended to trick you into replying with financial or personal information or clicking on a link that will sneak a virus onto your mobile device.

Follow these tips to be on guard against Smishing:

Don’t respond to a text message that requests personal or financial information. Bank of America often sends messages from SMS short numbers for alerts, but we will never ask you for personal or financial information in a text message.
Verify any phone number that appears in a text message. If you’re in doubt, call the client service number on our Contact Us page, on your statement or on the back of your credit, debit or ATM card.
If you receive what appears to be a fraudulent text message, we urge you to report it immediately. Forward any Bank of America-related messages to [email protected]. Include the number the message came from and a copy of the message itself.
Many carriers allow you to report spam by forwarding unsolicited text messages to 7726 (which spells SPAM). As with many other spam-reporting systems, this will help eliminate spam messages for everyone.

Google is your friend!

Every email I've posted is a scam. Contacting the email addresses associated with my posts may lead to a loss of money for you. Do not let the scammers know they are posted here!
#392648 by Raga Man Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 am
I failed to mention in my original post that the check number is a link to somewhere. I NEVER tap links in suspicious text messages. Also, I seriously doubt if Bank of America (or any other legit bank for that matter) would start their text with the words "FREE TEXT". That doesn't even make sense in context with the rest of the message.

I looked all over the place on the BofA website about scams and reporting a scam. The best thing they offer is a phone number that leads you through a long voicemail tree which proved completely unhelpful.