Information on romance scams and scammers.
#408949 by Damama1 Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am
Looking for some help. I added a gentleman on FB. He was a friend of a friend. A day later I received a message in my DM from him. He seemed nice enough asked How I was doing. I said fine. He asked if we could get to know each other. I said sure you first. He told me he was a widower and that he currently lived in New York with his son (12 years old). I asked where he was from he said London. He then said it was my turn. I (sadly) told him [Removed - AJ]. We conversed for a little while longer that day. The next day he is back again this time he asks me to text him on his number 929-341-4132. I told him it was too soon he had just met me. We talked more that day. Day 3 he asked again. This time I agreed but used my google voice number. It has been two weeks now and I still feel like something is wrong. He refuses to FaceTime with me so that makes me feel like something is fishy. Two weeks in and he is professing his love for me. Oh he is a contract manager and there is this big contract he is waiting to get approved. His name is Anderson Morris.

Help is this a scam?
Last edited by AlanJones on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal details
Advertisement

#408958 by AlanJones Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 am
The details you've given definitely raise a number of red flags, such as the being widowed with a young child, claiming to be from overseas (used to provide a reason for his non-American accent if you speak), the refusal to FaceTime. Also claiming to be a contractor is a standard romance scammer storyline as it will usually involve a trip overseas, where he can have some sort of emergency that needs you to help him financially. The name he is using, which screams African scammer trying to come up with a British name.

Also, his phone number is a VoIP number, no need for someone in the US to be using a VoIP instead of a proper mobile.

The best thing to do is just block him and disappear. Don't confront him, just disappear and leave him wondering what went wrong.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#409026 by Terminator5 Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm
Can you please post a link to his Facebook account so we can look at it ?

Daniel 8 :25
#409189 by Damama1 Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:51 pm
Sorry he deleted the Facebook account before I could screenshot it.
#409227 by Terminator5 Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 am
Damama1 wrote:Sorry he deleted the Facebook account before I could screenshot it.

There's your additional confirmation that it was a scam .

#409239 by maluu53 Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:03 pm
actually, all FB profiles by the name of Anderson Morris which I checked are fakes :lol:
#409266 by Terminator5 Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:57 pm
maluu53 wrote:actually, all FB profiles by the name of Anderson Morris which I checked are fakes :lol:

That doesn't surprise me . Anderson is not a very common first name in the USA. To me it's an extreme oddity as a first name actually.