Room for Rent and other rental scams
#41089 by Michelle Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:20 am
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:25:54 +0000
Subject: Re: Beautiful En-suite Room In...
To: Michelle Banks

Hi,

How are you doing? I got your inquiry into the room i have for rent in my flat. There is a bed, desk and table in the room. The flat also has a very good study room as well. The availability depends on when you want to rent the room as well.

The room itself is light, spacious and with neutral decor (walnut wood floor, light walls with chrome fittings and fitted white clothes storage units) The room has two large windows which offer natural light as well as roof-top views onto Ken Church Street and Notting Hill Gate.

The entire flat has been professionally interior designed to a high specification including luxury living and dining room, floor to ceiling travertine limestone bathroom and granite kitchen with all mod cons fully integrated into the design. The flat also benefits from access to a flat roof which is accessed via ladder but offers further views of the Ken Palace
Conservation Area.

The building itself is located on 16, Edge Street Kensington, London W8 7PN UK off Kensington Church Street near the junction with Notting Hill Gate and forms part of the Kensington Palace Conservation Area.

Notting Hill Gate tube station is the nearest to the house,with its fast Central line access to the City, is a 1 minute walk from the flat, Kensington Gardens is a 3 minute walk, High Street Kensington is a 7 minute walk and even Oxford Street is a 15-20 minute walk along Bayswater Road.

The rent is 90pounds a week and it is inclusive of all bills which makes it 360pounds a month. A security deposit of 300pounds is required which would be refunded back to you upon move-in. Receipts would be issued for any payments or deposit made as well.

I'm Irina Morscakova,a Latvian female and i work for an Insurance company here.

You'll be sharing the flat with me and Stephen,whom just finished his Masters here in London and has started a job here. We're very friendly,loving and fun to be with. We are also neat and serious minded as well.

Therefore,we are both Professionals.

Hope it is what you want? I look forward to hearing from you and i also await the confirmation of your interest as well.

Regards,
Irina.

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:45:41 +0000
Subject: RE: Beautiful En-suite Room In...
To: Michelle Banks

Hi,

I totally understand what you have said and i think its okay by me as well. Its no problem as well if you want to come and see the flat but just a little protocols have to be followed. You would understand in due process.

I just need you to understand the fact i cannot meet anyone and bring them to the flat without given an evidence of deposit and first month's rent for assurance and to avoid recent happenings in the neighborhood. Also some funny things are done by people when they come to view houses in the neighborhood. Firstly,i have attached a copy of my council tax bill from the Westminster council here in London which is a governmental document for your reference and a copy of my International passport as a form of my identity. It was advised by the metropolitan police so as to give intending viewers an evidence as well.

What i mean is that you would have to give an evidence of deposit and first month's rent is to assure me that i am really talking to someone whom is true and honest(I do not mean to insult you but its because of the recent happenings). You would have to go a western union office and send the deposit and rent to YOURSELF(not me). What i mean is that you would be the receiver yourself here in London. This is how the transfer process would be. You'll would have to go to the western union office with your friend/relative as well.

Sender's name:- Your friend's name
Sender's Address:- Your friend's address
Receiver's name:- Your name
Receiver's address:- London UK.

By doing this,your money is 100% safe since you are the only person eligible to receive it here in London. After viewing the room and you like it(which i am sure of),i would then follow you to the western union office just down the street so that you can withdraw the money and pay me in cash. I would want you to know that the transfer charges would be refunded back to you whether you take the room or not(I am sure you would anyway). All i have to do is to confirm online that you have truly sent the money to yourself. You'll have to scan the receipt of the transfer and send it to me so that i can confirm online that you have really sent the money to yourself.

Thank you so much for understanding and i really look forward to meeting you because i am sure you would love to take the room. I await your response ASAP because i have stopped talking to other people regarding the room pending your response.

Regards,
Irina.

PS: Security deposit is 300pounds while rent is 360pounds a month. The security deposit would be refunded back to you when you move-in.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#45010 by 16edge Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:56 pm
Hi,
I am the owner of 16 Edge street and can confirm everyting in this scam report. We have had in that last year 4 different sets of people turn up at our door having been defrauded by "Irina".

I accompanied one young man to the police station to report the fraud and apparently Irina has appeared in several police reports for a string of different addresses. My daughter's boyfriend tried to engage in an email conversation with Irina and the IP number appears to be a Nigerian one.

After the second event I emailed Craigslist where the advert had appeared (all four sets of people saw the advert there) but nothing happened - the advert remained in place. Fortunately it has now disappeared.

Please accept my thanks for flagging up this scam.

16edge
#57563 by 16edge Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:37 pm
Hi,
I am the owner of 16 Edge street and unfortunately I have to report taht this scam is still on-going. Whilst we were away earlier this year my daughter had another couple come round and only last night a young French girl arrived at 9:30 in the evening - same story - GRAIGSLIST whom I have tried to contact in the past to stop these frauds occurring without success. Does anyone know how Craigslist can be persuaded to take some action?

16edge