Information on romance scams and scammers.
#41144 by lovingusarmyguy Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 am
Hi Everyone,

By the looks of the posts, these "US ARMY TRANSIT LEAVES" are a scam, and I am sure I know the answer already.

I have been communicating with a sgt from the US army, his email is a hotmail, never thought to ask if he can use his army email but he has asked me to apply for a 3 month transit leave on his behalf to his colonel.

The email he gave me to write to his colonel is

[email protected]

I have not done anything, I have not emailed this address nor have i sent any money, My Sgt. states that this is refundable money from the Army. My Sgt. Guy has given me his name, his Battalion, Infantry Regiment, and the camp that he is at.

and when i was asked to set up the "phone" the email came from
[email protected]
again I did not do the phone thing either.

I am Canadian and do not know anything about the US Army. Can anybody help me decide if my Sgt. Guy is a good guy or a scammer????

Lovingusarmyguy
Advertisement

#41145 by Dotti Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:59 am
As you said, you already know the answer. I'm sorry to have to confirm that there is absolutely no doubt there is a scammer. Consultant.com emails are free emails from mail.com and have no connection to the US military or government.

The simple fact is, nobody can apply for a soldier's leave but the soldier himself (not to mention the fact that soldiers deployed in Afghanistan can't get a 3 month block of leave).

Unfortunately, what you are involved in is literally a textbook scam, and you can see both the phone and leave requests outlined here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527 The scammers similar scripts and the exact same routines on thousands of women. You may even receive a copy of a leave policy and leave request forms (they are posted elsewhere on this site) that these scammers routinely use for this type of scam. These are fake documents created by the scammers and have no connection to any real US military document.

Could you post the first couple of emails your scammer sent you, including the headers, so that we can make his script public to help other potential victims avoid being scammed.

The best thing you can do at this point is drop all contact with this scammer. Do not continue correspondence with him, even to tell him you know about him. Do not confront him, and try to make him feel guilty or admit he is a scammer. He is incapable of feeling guilt or sympathy, and he will gladly continue to tell more lies if he thinks he has any chance of getting money from you. Lies come to him as easily as the truth (probably more easily, actually). Continuing contact with him can only hurt you, and won't affect him because he doesn't care how much he hurts his victims.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#41163 by lovingusarmyguy Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 pm
Here is one email that he has sent I dont know how to read where this has orginated from....I have taken out my personal email addy.
Please Advise Me...

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from fipmb05.cogeco.net (rdnat03 [192.168.200.207])
by sunfep2.cogeco.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 672F91BA2
for <>; Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:23:29 -0500 (EST)
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result:
AsynAAsc6UxBNyKcgmdsb2JhbACCAIN4jGwHZ4EDjgQVAQELCwgHEwMRDqsIgWWFZDuIUYVLBI1yYA
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] ABOUT THE TRANSIT LEAVE
X-CGO-SPAM: SUSPECT
X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="4.59,232,1288584000";
d="scan'208,217";a="442167397"
X-SBRS: 3.0
Received: from col0-omc3-s17.col0.hotmail.com ([65.55.34.156])
by fipmb05.cogeco.net with ESMTP; 21 Nov 2010 16:23:28 -0500
Received: from COL113-W59 ([65.55.34.135]) by col0-omc3-s17.col0.hotmail.com with
Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:23:27 -0800
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_c5777caa-b0c3-48a8-bdff-2bb6dcdbbaaf_"
X-Originating-IP: [41.203.64.244]
To: <
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:23:27 +0000
Importance: Normal
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References:

<[email protected]>
,<[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Nov 2010 21:23:27.0445 (UTC) FILETIME=[56489850:01CB89C2]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first step to take is to email the colonel .......you have to write him that you want to get a leave for me, that you want me to come to and meet you and also write in the mail that you shall abide by the rules of the United States Military..

you can write the email like this.

I want to get a transit leave for Sgt.John Calderon , 2nd Battalion, 112th Infantry Regiment, camp taji, Baghdad, Iraq.

I promise to abide by the rules and regulations of the United States army during and after the transit process.
You could add whatever you wanna add to the mail,just giving you a clue on how to write the letter..

He's email address is [email protected]
send the mail to him and let's wait and see what's gonna happen next.
#41165 by ChrisSmith Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm
I've just run the header through an IP tracker and the address resolves to Lagos, Nigeria.

ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:Header Analysis Quick Report
Originating IP: 41.203.64.244
Originating ISP: Globacom Ltd
City: Lagos
Country of Origin: Nigeria
* For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline
#41166 by lovingusarmyguy Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Thank you !

Yes I found it as well, However there are other IP's from different emails that he has sent whichx-orginated from the USA - Even more confusing. But agreed that I almost got scammed. Only lost a lot of time & energy.

Thank you everyone,
Heartbroken but not Stupid.
#41174 by Dotti Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm
Did those IP's trace to Sunnyvale, California perhaps? Do you see the letters NNFMP in the headers anywhere?

If so, some of the emails were sent using a yahoo protocol that causes the originating IP to show as yahoo's headquarters in Sunnyvale.

If not, your scammer may have been using a proxy some of the time.

#41196 by maddymiller Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm
Hi , i have met this guy online through a dating site here in the UK , called Dating for Parents ,
He told me he was serving in Afghanistan in the peace keeping force ,
He has asked me to apply for leave for him , and to say its for family issues ,
i was told to say i am his fiance . I was given this e-mail address to apply to
"Defence Leave " <defenceleave @mail2Army.com>
i sent off an e-mail and received back one with 3 attachments , i was meant to return these , all completed
with my personal information , and agreeing to pay any necessary charges !
Needless to say , i have not sent these back .
This guy is supposedly a Major in the US army and has served for 27years and is coming up for retirement .
I guess he has met lots of females on the dating site , as he has such a lovely profile .
I wonder how many have fallen for this scam ?
As i thought he was really genuine when chatting to him .
Maddy Miller
#41288 by snapmech Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:18 pm
i also am from ontario and have been talkng to a sgt john calderon he also has a yahoo account i met him on are you interested throught facebook he is also in the same camp i have seen pictures of him not sure if they really are him he also asked me to appy for a leave for him and i told him no that we just started talking he is such a smooth talker i am hoping that this is not same guy but i know in my heart it is.

Worried
#41289 by Dotti Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:28 pm
Welcome Snapmech,

I don't know if he is the same guy, but there are two things I do know are certain:

1) he is not the man in the photos
2) he is a scammer.

The leave policy you received is a fake document, created by and used by African scammers. If you actually look at it closely, you will even see that it is full of poor English and major mistakes. Some versions even have the name of the country wrong!

Even if the leave policy wasn't full of mistakes, I would still know that it is a scam, because the US military does not allow anyone to apply for leave but the soldier himself, and there is no fee for leave. Even if you were married to an American soldier, you could not apply for leave for him.

If you are in contact with any person in the American or British military you met through a dating site, and he asks you to sign up for a satellite phone or to request leave for him, then you are actually in contact with an African scammer.

#41290 by snapmech Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 pm
Hi thanks he hasnt asked me for money as of yet i think i might play along with him and see i will never send anyone money i will let you know what happens and i do believe that he is the same man as he has the same email addresse i am suppose to talk to him on webcam tonigth i will let u know what happens.
Worried
#41291 by lovingusarmyguy Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm
Dear Worried/Sapmech

OMG!! I am sure that it is the same Sgt. John Calderon at hotmail or yahoo, He providedd me with both. Very smooth talker and yes he is a SCAM - I am sorry to tell you but it is!

Does he tell send you poems daily, that he is a secret to ur friends & family that he in Iraq until September, between his tent and office? That he goes out on patrol which I assume is because he cant talk during the regular hours that you do? Or that he doesnt directly answer questions when u ask?

Does he have a year 8 old son in named Ken NYC who lives with his mom because his wife died 4 years ago just after they got divorse - he divorced her because of drugs? He started with the phone thing and I even sent him my info address & phone number not SIN or DL - He even asked me for my parents information. Which again I did not send. The paper work to me did not look Govenment issued at all - IT was very simple - too simple which started the curiosity.

"Hunnie"(which he used to call me)
I could go on and on after 2 months of chatting with him, I hooked but not caught - When I confronted him with a letter from my uncle who is a retired marine he stated that my uncle didnt want us to be together and that he was not one of them. After speaking with my Uncle he said I should ask for his address that I wanted to send him & freinds " Care Pacaages"

He then deleted me and has not returned my last email which fine, I am glad that he was imaginary because he was way too good to be true - For me anyways,

Maybe your Sgt. is different than mine - Hopefully he will not come up with a reason not to chat with you.

I could also send you his pictures that he sent if you wanted.

Good Luck
Getting Smarter
#41293 by snapmech Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:22 pm
OMG yes he is the same person i have him on my facebook he has never told me to keep him a secret from my family but yes everything else is the same what an asshole. i am going to email all the women he has on his facebook and warn them before its too late.
snapmech
#41296 by lovingusarmyguy Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:38 pm
Nice!! I just caught him on Monday (2 days ago)

whats your facebook ?

I am Marie on face book
and @hotmail.com

I will email pics later gotta run out but I will ..

Note by Dotti:
I have removed names and addresses from your posts. Whenever you post your real information on a public website, it is open to be picked up by scammers and spammers, and you will be targeted even more.
You can use our private message system to send the info to each other, so they can't be harvested by scammers and spammers..
#41297 by snapmech Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:47 pm
Ok great i am tracey

Note by Dotti:
I have removed names and addresses from your posts. Whenever you post your real information on a public website, it is open to be picked up by scammers and spammers, and you will be targeted even more.
You can use our private message system to send the info to each other, so they can't be harvested by scammers and spammers..