Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#42471 by simlinks Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:46 am
To cut the long story short - I was trying to sell my blackberry using gumtree, within 5 minutes I received 4 emails all from scammer with usual one liner "is the item available?" I knew about how the scams work so I played with them a little bit and pretended that I fell for their tricks.

Here is the emails after I agreed to post the phone and receive the money via paypal

====================================

Hi,
i would like to let you know that the payment has just been made and have also included the extra fee for the shipping and handling to my friend Destination. So kindly make sure you mail out the item today and get back to me with the shipment tracking number once the shipment is made.

Here is her address below:

Name: Oluwatobi Erabor
Address; No 9 Agbowo Ui,
City ;Ibadan
State ;Oyo state
Country ;Nigeria
Zipcode ;23402
Phone: 2347026802180

Ship Via Royal Mail International 3-5 Days

Its been a nice time doing transaction with you.

God Bless

=============
My reply :

hi, where are you telling me to send the item? where are you now?
=============

Am presently out of town right now and i bought the item for a close friend of mine as a surprise birthday gift, so you will be mailing out the item to her on my behave and get back to me with the tracking.

Kindly make sure you pack the item as a gift while shipping it to her.

Here is her address below:

Name: Oluwatobi Erabor
Address; No 9 Agbowo Ui,
City ;Ibadan
State ;Oyo state
Country ;Nigeria
Zipcode ;23402
Phone: 2347026802180

Ship Via Royal Mail International 3-5 Days

I will be waiting for the tracking number.

God Bless.

===========

My reply:

Hi I don't see the money on my paypal account. Did you pay pound or dollar?

===========

Hi,

The payment has been made and the fund has been deducted from my acct,
but due to some security reason, PayPal put an hold on the money until
you proceed with the shipment and you email the shipment confirmation
number to them for verification and confirmation, as soon as this is
done and they confirm it, they will get your acct credited
immediately.

Hope you understand why the fund is still on hold now?If yes, go on
with the shipment and get back to them with the shipment proof for
them to release the fund into your acct.

Looking forward to read from you.

Alice

============

Then I just never reply them

Just google "Oluwatobi Erabor" to see what he/she is up to !

The most shocking thing was when I realised they work as a gang and they have members in London UK too! In few occassionas the scammers given me UK addresses to post the phone.

Apparently police stopped taking anymore complaints from people regarding Gumtree scam, as they are too many. And simply they don't have enough time to investigate all of them.
Advertisement

#42473 by Arnold Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 am
Welcome to Scamwarners, and thanks for posting the details.
We don't advise baiting scammers from your real life email address though. And as you seem to have signed up with your real name, I advise you to PM an admin with a more anonymous name. If the scammer googles on his email address (and some do), he'll know who was baiting him.

#108873 by ehiejr Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:32 pm
This is just to alert ppl doing business online of the scammer using the following details: Name: Clement Caminus Address: Agbowo IU, City: Ibadan
State: Oyo
Zip Code: 23402
Phone: 2348094720643
[email protected]

I sell laptops online to buyers in Nigeria and i advertise for free at dealfish.com. It was from my ads on d site the idiot with the above details contacted me and was trying to get me to send him 6 new laptops and that he was going to send the payment to my account. Each time i tell him the requested laptop was out of stock and xyz was the one available, without hesitation he suddenly wants to buy all of xyz!

Initially i was not suspicions but i have done lots of business with Nigerian and the like to see what they are buying before parting with cash but in this case "Clement Caminus" or whatever his real name is was too keen about making payment and me sending the laptops... so i became suspicious and googled his name but nothing came out. But when i googled the address "Agbowo IU, City: Ibadan State: Oyo Zip Code: 23402 Phone: 2348094720643" it came up in scamwaners! "simlinks on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:46 am" gave a notification that a different name but with the same address was engaging in scamming activities on gumtree.

I called the number "Clement Caminus" provided and said i was was looking for Dave (a name i made up), he said he was Dave, from the mail we had sent each other just hrs b4 where he told me he was sick and in a place called Enugu i asked if it was Dave in Benin and he said yes! but he refused to carry on any further communication because my number was hidden.
Hence i decided to get registered on this site to make people aware that the scammers are still alive and well and looking for more victims.

Below is some of the communication i've had with him:

[email protected]e: tuesday, 12 june (4 days ago)
i need six of those laptops,and i will like to pay you through the bank and i will like you to give me your bank details for the payment your bank name account and the name
thanks

ME: hi, i just spoke to my mum who handles d business while i am away and she just informed me that someone came to pick up the last 10 hp as well as other items yesterday. ever so sorry for this. all i have available right now is three Toshiba. pls let me know if you are interested in these.
kind regards

[email protected]e: tuesday, 12 june (3 days ago)
yes you can send the three and your payment information as i have said earlier
thanks

ME:
Your answerDate: tuesday, 12 june (3 days ago)
where are you? location pls

[email protected]e: saturday, 16 june (2 hours ago)
Hi,
Thanks for such a quick response, the price is affordable and I am
glad you all,
so i just send me
address.let know the total cost including shipping, and I
you know the payment
prefer? transfer
bank or PayPal? Here is the
shipping address: Name: Clement Caminus Address: Agbowo IU, City: Ibadan
State: Oyo
Zip Code: 23402
Phone: 2348094720643
I think the
Bank transfer is
better, let me read from
you, as I prepared
to pay ...

Thank you.

ME: Your answerDate: saturday, 16 june (46 minutes ago)
Hi, the last communication i had with u was on June 12 which is 4 days ago. since i did not hear from you i assumed you where no longer interested so i sold the laptops off to other interested persons...
If your are still interested and prepared to wait a bit I will soon take delivery of some Toshiba laptops as well as ACER laptop...
Cheers

[email protected]e: saturday, 16 june (38 minutes ago)
am so sorry sire
i had a very serious sickness since this few days and i was in the hospital since that day ,but am in enugu now to clear some the item i buy from peopel on this site, i was hoping if you could send it as we have discussed before and i will pay you as i paid for the other goods
thanks