Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#47651 by Macproconfused Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm
Glad this is here. I'm a little confused, and could use some help. I found a MacBook pro on craigslist that the seller wants to trade for two iPhone 4s. I can get him 1 brand new iPhone 4 (i'm upgrade eligible)and my old 3G iPhone plus 200.00. He agreed after a few days. Provided me with a serial number and pictures. I called AppleCare and his phone number is registered to the computer and there is indeed 122 days left on the warranty. He agreed to meet at an apple store to make the deal. Is this a scam? It seems odd that someone would trade a 800-900 computer for a couple of iPhones (I'll have about 400.00 invested with the cash and new iPhone). I've spoken to several people and they say the phones are worth more if he jailbreaks them and resells them. Easily exceeding the 800-900 going price of the MacBook pro. personally I could care less what he resells the phones for as long as I'm not going to be linked to some type of criminal activity and I won't receive a stolen computer. is this a scam or what? Apple said he can't "cloak" the preference page that shows the serial number to show a false serial number. That is what I was most worried about since the serial number is buried inside the computer and can't be found without taking the computer apart. I'm supposed to meet with him tomorrow morning. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Macproconfused
Advertisement

#47659 by Bubbles Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Macproconfused . Wow, this is a bit beyond what we cover here. I really hesitate to give advice because I don't know the laws in the place where you live. I would check with someone at Law Enforcement prior to meeting with this person. I wouldn't go alone to meet anyone like this. Know your surroundings where the store is. Get a receipt if you do this. If you decide to meet, I would also talk to the people at the Apple store to verify the things that you have been told and what you know.

As I said, this is beyond what we usually handle. Be safe and best of luck.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#47660 by Helen Halper Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 am
Hi Macproconfused!
Googling : "MacBook pro scam" gives quite a few results. Read through to see if anything sounds familiar. Also google his email address and/or telephone number.
You say that you're meant to meet up with him tomorrow? Please do be sure to meet in a safe, public place and deal with cash only. The Apple store sounds like a good place to meet. If he cancels and suddenly wants to make some kind of shipping arrangement, you'll know for sure that he's a scammer.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Please post back and let us know what happened.