Room for Rent and other rental scams
#48029 by joeyek9 Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:31 pm
Sam Lamb to me
show details 3:00 PM (2 hours ago)
My name is Sam Lamb, I am the owner of the apartment at 66 Crisfield Street #3X, Yonkers NY. The monthly rent is $940,security is the same as rent $940.Presently, i am in Canada working as the Vice President, Card Service at ATB Financial , Calgary, Canada. I can come down to show you the apartment if i am convinced that you are serious. The initial plan was to sell the apartment. which we tried, but the Realtor inflated the prize hence taking more time to sell, because of this reason, we need a responsible person that will take very good care of the apartment. Most importantly ,a serious and trust worthy person who will be willing to pay the rent without delay.
Note; the move-in cost is the total amount of 2 months rent and a security deposit. As a very busy person I would only take my time to fly down to the US for you to preview the apartment, only if you accept to pay the above move-in cost after seeing the apartment.
FURNITURE : Apartment is fully furnished but if you are moving in with your furniture there is a storage room in the unit where you could keep our furniture.

Call me on 3476870495 for more update.

THE LEASE IS FLEXIBLE (3 MONTHS) (6MONTHS) (1YEAR) (2YEARS)

Get back to me with the following if you are still interested.
Applicant Name:
Number of Adults:
Number of Children:
Profession:
Number of Pets:
Home/Cell Phone & Work Phone:
Current Landlord Name:
Phone:
Address for Last one Year:
Date of Birth:
Person to Notify in Emergency:
Relationship with this person:
Address of this person:
Phone number:
I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Lamb.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM,> wrote:
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

hello, i saw the ad on craigslist about the apartment located at 66 crisfield street and was wondering if it was still available. I am interested in the apartment and would love to hear back from you. Thank you.
this message was remailed to you via: [email protected]

Forward
Invite Sam Lamb to chat
Advertisement

#48056 by Bubbles Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 am
Thank you for posting this information joeyek9. This information will help others. :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#54135 by Dotti Wed May 25, 2011 12:34 am
Welcome gelichka,

This phrase right here tells you where the scammer is going:
I can come down to show you the apartment if i am convinced that you are serious.

The scammer (who is African and doesn't own any apartment at all) will give you a story about how he wasted time going to show the apartment before due to people who weren't "serious" or didn't have the money to rent. He will tell you that in order to avoid this, he needs proof that you have the money to rent the apartment. To prove you have the money, he will most likely tell you to send money (probably the "move-in cost") to a friend, and send him a copy of the scanned receipt. He will try to convince you it is safe because the money is in your friend's name.

The truth is, you will be giving him enough information to collect the money himself. He (and your money) will disappear, and you will have no money and no apartment.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#54136 by Bubbles Wed May 25, 2011 12:44 am
Welcome to ScamWarners gelichka88 and thank you for your question. This rent is ridiculously low for a furnished place in New York anywhere.
New York Apartment Rental Trends
Apartments in New York have competitive rents so be sure to use our apartment finder to get the best deal. In February the average rent for a 1 Bedroom New York apartment cost $3,630. If you need a roommate, try finding a 2 bedroom apartment rental. An average 2 bedroom New York apartment was $5,391 in February.

A "busy businessman" in Canada wouldn't be handling a rental himself and offering to fly to see of the renter is suitable. This is a story to draw a victim in and get them ready to spend money to get the "great deal" before it is lost. Also, if you search that address, you will find it is NOT for sale and is probably occupied.

It is bad practice to plan to rent something without seeing it in person and meeting the person you will be paying rent to. There are legal forms to a rent or lease, not just information requested in an email. I hope this helps.

Beaten by Dotti again... :lol:

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#56310 by kosherpickle Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 am
Thank g-d i do google searches...I got Sam lamb lol in my email after asking about this...
(oh and its funny because i just looked at an apartment on that same floor in that same building with a real real estate agent.

$890 / 2br - 2 bedroom condo in great location. (100 Colfax Avenue #5V, Staten Island NY )

Date: 2011-06-18, 10:31AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

2 bedroom condo in great location. Close to train, bus, shopping. Condo features hardwood floors throughout.

100 Colfax Avenue, (google map) (yahoo map)
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Fee Disclosure: No fee
Listed By: eeeeeeeee/Victor Stan
PostingID: 2447858021

reply from this person......
from Sam Lamb [email protected]
reply-to Sam Lamb <[email protected]>

My name is Sam Lamb, I am the owner of the apartment at 100 Colfax Avenue #5V, Staten Island NY . The monthly rent is $890,security is the same as rent $890.Presently, i am in Canada working as the Vice President, Card Service at ATB Financial , Calgary, Canada. I can come down to show you the apartment if i am convinced that you are serious. The initial plan was to sell the apartment. which we tried, but the Realtor inflated the prize hence taking more time to sell, because of this reason, we need a responsible person that will take very good care of the apartment. Most importantly ,a serious and trust worthy person who will be willing to pay the rent without delay.
Note; the move-in cost is the total amount of 2 months rent and a security deposit. As a very busy person I would only take my time to fly down to the US for you to preview the apartment, only if you accept to pay the above move-in cost after seeing the apartment.
FURNITURE : Apartment is fully furnished but if you are moving in with your furniture there is a storage room in the unit where you could keep our furniture.

Call me on 3476870495 for more update.

THE LEASE IS FLEXIBLE (3 MONTHS) (6MONTHS) (1YEAR) (2YEARS)

Get back to me with the following if you are still interested.
Applicant Name:
Number of Adults:
Number of Children:
Profession:
Number of Pets:
Home/Cell Phone & Work Phone:
Current Landlord Name:
Phone:
Address for Last one Year:
Date of Birth:
Person to Notify in Emergency:
Relationship with this person:
Address of this person:
Phone number:
I look forward to hearing from you.
#56325 by Katharina Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:29 pm
kosherpickle wrote:... oh and its funny because i just looked at an apartment on that same floor in that same building with a real real estate agent. ...

That's not a coincidence. Probably the scammer found the genuine advertisement and copied the details into his scam to make it look more credible.