Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#48094 by Arnold Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 am
Do you know about our sister site www.419eater.com that deals with wasting scammers' time? There are many ways of achieving this without spending your own money or breaking the law.
Verbally abusing scammers is pointless. They get plenty of abuse from genuine victims or potential victims and it's like water off a duck's back.

Advertisement

#48124 by Helen Halper Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm
Hi mrbear78!
It sounds like you want to fight scammers. I think that you would fit right in at our sister site: http://forum.419eater.com
As Con mentioned, we don't send dog, ( or any type of crap!) to scammers, but we do safely mess around with them, with the goal of keeping them too busy to deal with real victims.
Please check us out, and if scambaiting interests you, sign up, say hi in the welcome thread and then apply for a mentor to help you get started.

#48652 by began steele Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 am
On the subject of scambaiting, I hesitate to put this forward as something to undertake lightly. I have a baiting history, but these days I tend to concentrate on scammer detection across social network sites, email detection and publication, and scammer hunting.
This site is a first line of defence against fraud, and by publishing as much information as possible here and elsewhere in similar sites, we are protecting people from being scammed. Scam baiting is, I feel, a second line of defence that follows on from "outing" a scammer.
I help run a group of hunters on Tagged, using fake profiles run by members and freelance hunters etc, to get information. We also warn those on site who we feel are potential victims. We run a database of addresses that are as unique as possible, and also aim to increase intelligence on scammers already detected. This is where I feel we are undermanned. Much as I like to do so, I can't work across all sites. I only post limited numbers of scammers here entirely for practical reasons, if I feel they are a wider danger.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#59449 by PeteCress Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:28 am
I just went round-and-round with somebody using her name and it turned
out tb a variation on the Nigerian 419 scam.

Alleged buyer sent me a note claiming my PayPal account had been
credited and, concurrently, I received two apparently-identical
notes claiming tb from PayPal telling me my account had been
credited.

Of course there was no credit to my account when I checked.

Someone who knows could probably spot the more obvious anomalies in
the message's headers, but even the likes of myself was able to grok
the Nigerian shipping address....

To Wit:
================================================
Code: Select allReturn-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from nm27-vm1.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
(nm27-vm1.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com [98.138.90.59])
   by mailhost.cotse.com (8.14.3/8.14.2) with SMTP id
p6KA5g3K049977
   for <[email protected]>; Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:05:42 -0400
(EDT)
   (envelope-from [email protected])
Received: from [98.138.90.57] by nm27.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
with NNFMP; 20 Jul 2011 10:05:36 -0000
Received: from [98.138.89.168] by tm10.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
with NNFMP; 20 Jul 2011 10:05:36 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1024.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with
NNFMP; 20 Jul 2011 10:05:36 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: [email protected]
Received: (qmail 42470 invoked by uid 60001); 20 Jul 2011
10:05:36 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1311156336;
bh=CAyOToGeu8adUGFjEWCNNsZIhtsv5AKJUYvvKVpDGzE=;
h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-RocketYMMF:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=mVSneKJSTaaBaxuAfLOzUNKWVx0ArWKntQ4mhvyFPgqFq8XCN/ju1OjUFyx5FOBdgEbUB2vxbVHH6JpX0cYp8rzL9KMZdk2LcYQLQbR19XP7Gf2zfcuhBVHgECjZCY6tqpo7aor77agTZZqmRx4aE2wfRbzW0DmqgE+dqzcLg4A=
X-YMail-OSG: P0N9UbMVM1nH6PK2TVgRUSCgUh1ZlCQBM2bXpTiLnZnlPKB
 j4FlvtValJc_OmUB4TSj28oliB5merhzYFF9R62ctPWbPRDtEJ2G4X3lTfLm
 LuUBKJ12aLfXegRP2FvDZAVUSbmwcABwYgQx174wtzt39oN7mr9EtADksaCW
 STB2GIVF9IG_AnZB0T3QUNj.I7_Ab_YhYDJF00IzhwmqodrYjhJQ_wBof0Nz
 yLVsC072GRgHJKS04sKvNuHn2kIaFMZkFx_ywjvJIFfcNItQgZs8P14qNkbd
 BNAxfP2zUdZs8CmvrZbnrl9ij0Dj4o7Li1satLGUKAKLNfepK_NDlSPpY4Wz
 pM2EUeJ6NRPOLa9IhwGjTSyw57FYD_lfAYFzSms.BTtjB.sn5kwac9Lo-
Received: from [41.138.175.50] by web125515.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
via HTTP; Wed, 20 Jul 2011 03:05:36 PDT
X-RocketYMMF: jr_jamesrobert01
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/14.0.3
YahooMailWebService/0.8.112.310352
Message-ID:
<[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 03:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: You've got new funds from Rayna
Maraki([email protected])with the paypal Routing Code:
840-L001-Q999-T51365 Transaction ID 1WW70510V79963356.
To: [email protected]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="0-938568325-1311156336=:38536"
X-Whitelist: Whitelisted (destination [email protected])
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 110720-0, 07/20/2011), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
X-Agent-Received: from mail.cotse.net (mail.cotse.net); Wed, 20
Jul 2011 06:18:20 -0400
X-Agent-Train-Legitimate: 0
X-Agent-Junk-Probability: 0

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
July 19, 2011 13:10:25 PDT
Transaction ID: 1WW70510V79963356
(180+ line feeds snipped)

You've got new funds!
??????????? 
You received a payment of $450.03 USD from
([email protected]).

To see all the transaction details, please log into your PayPal
account. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear
in
your account.
Buyer information
Teresa Bucker
[email protected]
Instructions from buyer
EBAY ITEM

Ship-to address -

Name??? :Tope Oluwadapo
Address :No 2 Kolawole Street,Iwo Road.
City??? :Ibadan
State?? :Oyo
Zip Code:23402
Phone?? :+23480319371625

Address Status:

(approx 200 linefeeds snipped)

Confirmed
Shipping method
USPS EXPRESS MAIL POST OFFICE

Description
Unit price
Qty
Amount(Apple iPod touch 3rd Generation 64GB)#230646417210

$450.03 USD
1$450.03 USD

$450.03 USD

Subtotal: $440.03 USD
Tax (8.375%): $10.03 USD
Insurance: ----
Total: $450.03 USD

(approx 2,000 linefeeds snipped)

This PayPal? payment has been deducted from the buyer's account
and has been " APPROVED"
but will not be credited to your account until the shipment
confirmation number is sent to us for shipment verification so as
to
secure both the buyer and the seller.but will not be credited to
your account until the shipment tracking number
is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the
buyer
and the seller from possible fraud. Here are the necessary
information
needed from you before your account will be credited.The tracking
number of shipment,your PayPal ID,your listing number and also
your eBay ID Below are the necessary
information requested before your account will be credited.Send
the
shipment reference/tracking number to us or email us through this
mail
[email protected] our customer service care
will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's
tracking
number for security purposes and the safety of the buyer?with the
seller,the money will be credited to your account.
(approx 1,150 linefeeds snipped)
?????????????????????????????? ???????????????? ?? *PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified? and the tracking number sent to
us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email"? from PayPal? informing
you that the Money has been credited.

(approx 1,150 linefeeds snipped)

Copyright ?1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved..
Thank you for using
PayPal!
(approx 2,000 linefeeds snipped)

The PayPal Team
(approx 1,800 linefeeds snipped)

PayPal Email ID PP274.

(approx 80 linefeeds snipped)
#59455 by Justin Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 am
Hello PeteCress and welcome to Scamwarners!

Yes this paypal scam is very common. The email will tell you that the funds will be released to your account after you send the tracking information of the shipped item. Paypal does not operate this way money transfers are instantaneous. For people not familiar with how paypal works the emails can be very convincing.

Anyone wanting to pay for an item sold on craigslist, gumtree or the likes with a money transfer or check is a scammer. Only deal with people willing to meet in a safe public place and pay with cash.

Justin

#59482 by PeteCress Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm
Justin wrote:Anyone wanting to pay for an item sold on craigslist, gumtree or the likes with a money transfer or check is a scammer.

What's the problem with PayPal - as long as the funds appear in one's account?
#59494 by Dotti Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm
What's the problem with PayPal - as long as the funds appear in one's account?

If the price, item, and location are reasonable, and you can log directly into paypal and see the money, the risk is lower--but it is not zero, because the buyer can reverse the payment.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#59634 by PeteCress Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm
Dotti wrote:... into paypal and see the money, the risk is lower--but it is not zero, because the buyer can reverse the payment.

Sounds counter-intuitive - like it would make PayPal essentially useless.

e.g. Half the population of Nigeria would be ordering stuff, paying vial PayPal, and then reversing the payments as soon as the merchandise is in transit - or, maybe even once it is received.

Am I missing something? Or is C.O.D the only way short of face-to-face cash?
#59635 by Justin Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Craiglist sales are meant to be done in person with cash in hand. If you follow this you will avoid 99% of craigslist scams. If someone contacts you wanting to buy an item another way 99% of the time it is a scam.

#59702 by PeteCress Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:07 am
Justin wrote:Craiglist sales are meant to be done in person with cash in hand. If you follow this you will avoid 99% of craigslist scams. If someone contacts you wanting to buy an item another way 99% of the time it is a scam.

My context is eBay.
#180768 by jrinconusa Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am
The address they're using is belongs to a Freight forward company: http://www.impexworldwide.com/ what happen is the scammers open an account with them for their packages to be forward to their final destination. The Freight forward company does’ know necessarily they’re been use for this type of crime, so if someone takes the tame and contact them with details of their scams, I’ll imagine they would close their account. But the scammers will just open another account with a different name, or with a different freight forward company and move on.
#180857 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 am
PeteCress wrote:
Dotti wrote:... into paypal and see the money, the risk is lower--but it is not zero, because the buyer can reverse the payment.

Sounds counter-intuitive - like it would make PayPal essentially useless.

e.g. Half the population of Nigeria would be ordering stuff, paying vial PayPal, and then reversing the payments as soon as the merchandise is in transit - or, maybe even once it is received.

Am I missing something? Or is C.O.D the only way short of face-to-face cash?

I think you'll find that Paypal won't set up a Paypal account for anyone whose IP indicates they are located in a high risk country. For this reason many scammers try to get an existing ebay user to sell goods for them and many victims have fallen for this scam, at great cost to themselves.

PayPal protect themselves and it's up to users to do the same.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#233852 by versatillia Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Reporting another occurrence. I was scammed to the full degree, too. Paypal payment being reversed. The disturbing part is that the user conversed over text in great detail about the item and how we could coordinate shipping. Was not a quick conversation - it was a a well-acted part in a play.

The shipping address they used was the same as stated above,

4000 Bordentown Ave, Ste 26
Sayreville, NJ 08872

The name they used was KAREN CARRICK

It was a huge loss for me. But to the user, I have acted as if I do not know they have scammed me. This article helps me because I will speak to Impex not just about closing the account, but about contacting the user.

Thanks,
Russell
#422160 by hymnsonchan Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:44 pm
Thank God I did my research and found this post! It's been 10 years and they're still pulling the same tricks as I just went through the same ordeal on Facebook marketplace about a Canon DSLR camera bundle I posted and literally got the same messages within 10 minutes of posting.

I received a message from a sweet little old lady from Florida (according to her FB profile) named "CAROL BOST" and she even tried to haggle the price a little bit in the beginning but we settled on a "fair price." She offered to pay for shipping and said it was a gift for her grand daughter but said she can only pay through PayPal or CashApp and that it would be from her husband's business account. Then she asked for my phone number "so that we can keep in touch when you're mailing it." She texted me from a Upstate New York phone number and asked for a shipping quote to New Jersey, but she allegedly lives in Florida so I was immediately skeptical.

Anyways, long story short, more red flags pop up and I try to fish out more information from her, without being too invasive in case she was a real person and a real buyer. But once she gave me the shipping address of "4000 BORDENTOWN AVE, UNIT 26 UNIT 87231947-A, SAYREVILLE, NJ 08872." I immediately look it up and found this scam warning page, among other warnings. Even called the phone number to see if a sweet little old lady picked up but of course, they didn't pick up and gave BS excuses for why she didn't want to talk... So thank you all so much for sharing your stories as if it wasn't for this post, there's a chance I could've fallen victim. Stay diligent and stay smart out there!!