Room for Rent and other rental scams
#43792 by beenscammed2 Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 am
I am in the midst of trying to recover money sent to "Stephen Perness" at "44702407392" also. Tried to book a vacation rental in Paris at "findbesthome.com" for the summer. He had me :oops: wire $ via Western Union to "Edgaras Gajauskas" at Woowich New Road, London SE18 6ZD. Found Edgaras' name on FACEBOOK. I'm steaming and waiting for KARMA to kick in as I know I'll probably not see that money again! This was a Craigslist find (not by me...can't believe I fell for it!!)

maurizioruben wrote:Hello
I'm Italian and I just booked an apartment on bank transfer findbesthome. I did not understand if you're sure it's a scam or not! I contacted Stephen Perness 00447024037104 and he said by phone and mail that tomorrow he will send the receipt of reservation .Why he continue to respond if they have already done me a scam?
sorry for my English
Advertisement

#43794 by David Jansen Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 am
Welcome here beenscammed2.

I'm sorry you got scammed. Your money is lost, as you payd the scammer using western union. Once the scammer has picked up the money, then it's gone. The scammers know how to stay anonymous and can't be caught. The telephone number is a +4470 re-direct number, which can divert your call to any other phone in the world.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#43801 by GomerPyle Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 am
We know your anger and frustration beenscammed2 as many places that advertise apartment rentals are infested with scammers nowadays. If we could, we'd take a flamethrower to the lot of them, but until some method of eradicating them is found, the best that's available is sites like ours that do our best to warn as many people as possible, and post examples to enable people to be led here by google.

Let your friends know the risks, as the more people that know, the less money will go into the pockets of these crooks.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#48929 by aeh Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am
I just wanted to follow up on the posts about the [email protected] scammer. I have been email with them regarding an apartment in Paris. They are now using the website: http://www.homereservationrentals.net/. I recieved the exact same eamil as the one above. Please don't let this guy get you. He said his name was Wayne Sebastian phone number: 00447024037104.

Goodluck
AH
#48965 by Michael Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 pm
Hi aeh,

thank you very much for posting, we will make sure that the site gets suspended soon! If you have any questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to ask :D

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#49474 by nkirianbg Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:12 am
We almost got scammed by this guy as well but your forum saved us and our honeymoon. The guy is using the name Wayne Sebastian and the phone number 00447024037104 and the website is
http://www.home-homerentals.net. We were also in contact with another scammer for another apartment in Amsterdam and he used the name Williams Coleman with the bank account name Pitkonen Olavi Pasi at the Danske Bank phone number used +447024099429 website http://www.linuxapartments.com/. These are scams and they wanted us to wire money...the only way we were saved is because we did a google search on the phone numbers provided and the bank details provided and found forums such as this one that had the real stories of these people's victims. Don't let it be you! Thanks again!
#49476 by Michael Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:21 am
Hi nkirianbg, welcome to Scamwarners. I am very glad to hear that we were a help to you :D

The websites you have posted are definately fake. The linuxapartment site has been reported earlier and should go offline soon, the other one was new to me. I will build a report to get it offline later tonight, and with a bit of luck it will be offline in a few days from now. Thank you very much for posting your story and reporting these sites to us! :D

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :D

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#49479 by Katharina Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am
Hi nkirianbg,
you mentioned a bank account - if you can give me the full details, I'll get the bank account closed.
I'll need the full text of the scam mails - headers included - and the precise bank account information. You can send me a PM.
Thanks and good luck - Katharina
#49962 by alliemosa Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:01 pm
I was scammed byt these people too. They are using craigslist to list apartments. We were looking to rent an apartment in Amsterdam. They request that the full rental amount, plus deposit be sent via wire transfer. I knew something was a little off, but I proceeded with the rental. The website is now no longer active (homereservationrentals.net). The email address they are using is findbesthome@fast service.com.

The original email response was:

Dearest A****** S*****,

Thank you for your interest in one of our apartments. Our two bedroom apartment you request for in central Amsterdam, Netherland. Nieuwmarkt Square apartment is available for the date.

We charge 360Eur for 4nights on two bedroom apartment. To secure one of the apartment we require 100% reservation deposit for booking less than 5nights, plus refundable 200Eur security deposit to sucure the apartment incase of damages. The security deposit will be refund back to you cash in hand when check out.

To confirm your booking, you are to make deposit of 560Eur.

Our payment mode is via Bank or Wire Transfer for late booking.

We also offer free shuttle from the airport to the apartment and back to the airport when check out.

Read from you soon.

Best Regards,
Wayne Sebastian

Follow up responses requested I wire money as follows:

You are to make a deposit of 360Eur.
Find the below bank details for your deposit -

ACCOUNT NAME: Pasi Olavi Pitkonen
IBAN: FI44 8000 2236 1476 65
BIC: DABAFIHH
BANK NAME: DANSKE BANK
BANK ADDRESS: SAMPO PANKKI OYJ, UNIONINKATU 22, 00075 SAMPO PANKKI

Regards your question - Our cancellation policy is just that you loose
a night fee.

You can make the reservation deposit only and make the security deposit
available upon arrival.

To confirm your deposit, scan us the bank slip and to confirm your
payment from my desk and process your booking.

Regards,
Wayne S

Other email corresspondence has been sent by "Stephen P".

PLEASE HELP .... is there anything I can do!?
#50016 by Bubbles Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am
I am sorry you got scammed alliemosa. Unfortunately, your money is gone. Scammers don't leave money around in the accounts they use to receive funds.

You have done one of the best things you can do by posting this information up here. It will help others and it will hurt the scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#51871 by chris_belgium Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am
I just got scammed by these people. I was so stupid! I should have googled his name before...
I sent an email to the bank in order to inform what happened and if there's anything I can do in order to have my money back. I'll also get in contact with my bank on Monday.
I found their ad on Craigslist: http://amsterdam.en.craigslist.org/vac/2304685815.html
I thought it was too good to be true! =(