Room for Rent and other rental scams
#49960 by Con Warner Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am

Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 320 EUR + 320 security deposit ( 640 euro ), with no extra taxes to pay.I must have one month rent + security deposit from you. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
The shipping company we will use is called MoneyBookers and is a well known shipping company here in europe.
Let me explain how the transaction will go step by step: first I go to MoneyBookers with the package and start the delivery procedure, after I give them the package for you, MoneyBookers will send you a notification to let you know the process has been initiated,and give you instructions on how to complete the payment to their company's payment agent. After they secure the money they will release the package to be delivered to your address and keep the payment until you receive and check and test it.
If all is ok with the item you need to contact MoneyBookers to give them the OK to pay me, if not, an agent will come to your house to refund your money and get the package to send it back to me.
If everything is clear send me your name and address and I will go to the nearest MoneyBookers office and start the delivery procedure.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement