Information on romance scams and scammers.
#55761 by jan0501 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:56 am
I was pleased to find your website yesterday. I have been scammed from a person calling himself Stephen Hancock or SGT Major John Hancock US military serving in Afghanistan.
It all seemed pretty genuine until he asked me to apply for leave!! And guess what I have been asked to pay over $1500. I was actually shocked to see on this site an exact email apparentley sent to me by him!! Sent to somone else by another " US soldier" What is my next proceedure do I have anyway of reporting this.
Advertisement

#55762 by Arnold Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:08 am
Welcome to Scamwarners. You could report it to your local police but they won't investigate. They have limited resources, and finding scammers in countries with poor or even corrupt law enforcement is just about impossible. Can you post the scammer's email address please, if not already posted here.

#55766 by jan0501 Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:39 am
Hi I have now posted you the email addresses. He is sill currently on my facebook page which I am now going to block and report
#55804 by Bubbles Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:00 am
Welcome jan0501. We like to have emails and other information posted out in the open forums so others can find the information if they are searching for it. I am certain Arnold will post it if he got it. If you see this message first, please post the email address in this thread. Thank you!

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#55806 by jan0501 Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am
Thanks Bubbles

Sadly I dont have the emails I got rid of everything fast. He came through Facebook as____ Stephen Hancock from Dora Alabama, originally from Whistler Canada.
He said he was 45 yrs old and a widower wih a small son Ben!! He gave his birth as 1 July 1965. His photo seemed genuine, he was in unifrom. The name Hancock was on his shirt along with 2 stars. However when he asked me to apply for leave he became SGT Major John Hancock. When challenged on this he said it was his military name. This should have been my warning, but he was seemed so genuine, and very able to use his "charm" to dispel any uncertainty. I then received the request for money, it was then that I contacted yourselves.I believe he is still on facebook, but I have blocked him from mine. i have 2 email addresses.

[email protected] this one he has replied to.

[email protected].

I have tried to locate both of these but have come up with nothing.

My main concern that this person may be using a real soldiers ID, but even worse one that may no longer be alive. I feel extremely violated and hope that more people find out about your website.
#55807 by jan0501 Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:32 am
Bubbles,

An update, he is definetly still on facebook in uniform, as Stephen Hancock Dora Alabama, may be somone could post this picture, as I said he is blocked off my profile.

cheers anyone
#55808 by jolly_roger Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 am
Not much info available on the email address I'm afraid Jan.
The second address shows, Result: Bad
Description: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account

The first address shows stephen.hancockx1 as, Result: Ok RCPT TO: <[email protected]>
=250 ok dirdel
Yahoo doesn't say much either,
Gender - Male
Location - Kansas
#55810 by jan0501 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 am
Hi Jolly roger,

Thanks i am trying not to sound stupid here but what does-250 dirdel mean??? and is it saying these e mails have come from Kansas? or more likely been pinched from him???

cheers for your help
#55851 by jolly_roger Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 am
No Jan you're not stupid because everyone looking within the forums will be able to read of this scam. How it's been explained to me is =250 ok dirdel means the email address is valid, open and able to receive incoming messages when it was checked. Not sure whether it's just yahoo has 'dirdel' or any email address would come back with the same wording?
When I checked yahoo, Kansas is written on the profile. That doesn't mean he's actually there.
To find out where the email originated from, look at the header of the email is the best way.
Unclear where the scammers get pics of US military personnel from.
Take care out there
#55862 by jwt65571992 Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm
Arnold wrote:Welcome to Scamwarners. You could report it to your local police but they won't investigate. They have limited resources, and finding scammers in countries with poor or even corrupt law enforcement is just about impossible. Can you post the scammer's email address please, if not already posted here.
Hello there,

I haven't been scammered yet, but I am pretty sure the guy has been sending emails to me and claimed as an independent contractor, a charming/honest/caring/loving widow, living lonely with a teen son, is a scammer. During two weeks conrrespondence, he has quickly explained to me his strong feeling, love to me, sending love poems to me, which are just too much, not real. Currently he sent me his phone number and hope me call him back that I will never do.

I would like to report this in order to others won't get scammered. I have this guy's email address, phone number and the copy of the award of contract (millions dollars) and photos. But I don't want to post here because I don't want to alert the scammer.

Could you give me suggestion?
#55867 by jan0501 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm
please send anything you have to scamwarners!

they will tell you what to do!! this has been a time of living hell to find out you have nearly been scammed, lets try to stop others!! it is heartbreaking and for me has left me feeling foolish!
#56037 by jersey0803 Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 pm
I was just contacted by the same person! I am glad I found your website as well. I am going to block him from facebook and IM.

He goes by [email protected]. Says he is in US Amry, parents were killed when he was 19, he said he is from the Netherlands and is now from Dora, Al, has a son named Ben 19years old. Said he was transfered to Afghanistan after being in Korea he was a brigadere.
#56084 by Katharina Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:27 am
jolly_roger wrote:...Unclear where the scammers get pics of US military personnel from. ...

Usually, these photos are stolen from social networks, for instance FaceBook. Once posted on the internet, there is no way the real person can retrieve them. That is why the profiles on those networking sites should be made accessible "by friends only".

wt65571992said:
I have this guy's email address, phone number and the copy of the award of contract (millions dollars) and photos. But I don't want to post here because I don't want to alert the scammer.

The scammer knows that he is a criminal, and that some victims not only realise it but will try to warn others.

As long as you post with a user name that is completely fictitious - as you did - and delete your real name and email address from his posts when you copy them onto this forum, he won't find out who reported him.

And any future victim who does a Google search will be saved! :D
#56096 by jan0501 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:43 pm
one day after deleting all information on this scammer, I received through facebook a request. this time from a female calling herself Hanford Winship, asking her to contact me. I deleted her immediately however I am sure i have seen her photo on this website. I no longer have her profile on facebook, but do have her e mail