Information on romance scams and scammers.
#57222 by DupedbyLove Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:48 pm
well i got taken. never thought i'd fall for it.

met him on Match.com (username BryanBrad33). thought damn i found a cutie! we started chatting and emailing and like 4 days later he was professing his love to me. he has all the characteristics of the typical scammer. good looking, charming, smooth talker, civil engineer from the US working in the UK but traveling to Africa. he gets robbed in Nigeria and needs money to get out. so yeah i sent him money...dumbass that i am. he continues to talk to me after i send him the money knowing i am now broke, so that is where i don't understand their scam. he isnt bleeding me of any more money. but the ongoing, "oh baby i am delayed again and cannot fly to see you yet. but trust me, we will be together soon"...it's always soon. lol

i did some research past few days and i couldn't corroborate his stories. i searched for him on Spokeo and found that his yahoo messenger id 'bryanbradlee' is based in Lagos, Nigeria. Hotmail is [email protected]. i also searched for his photos on google and well these photos were connected to several different people and sites. so who the hell knows who the real guy is?! but it just validates that this guy i am talking to isnt who he is. and there is another dating profile fdatingsite.com where bryan brad strikes again. SO beware of him.

i filed a complaint with the IC3 site today.
Last edited by DupedbyLove on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Advertisement

#57223 by DupedbyLove Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 pm
he took his profile off of match as far as i know but here is the other dating site...

http://www.fdatingsite.com/bryanbrad/

http://www.myspace.com/562772118
here is a myspace site i found with a lot of photos of this guy or the photo victim but this profile doesnt seem right either, he says he is a pilot, his dad is a general and he has no real friends commenting just girls.

Kurt Wellington III - check out these pics - he's hot but they seemed real
http://www.myspace.com/kurt.wellington YOU CAN SEE MANY OF THE SAME PHOTOS HE SENT TO ME ON THIS MYSPACE PAGE

other aliases : Johnny Dangerously, Kevin Dik, Patrick McKay, Mick Ledger, Jordan Ferrer, Kurt Reeves.
Last edited by DupedbyLove on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#57242 by Dotti Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm
he continues to talk to me after i send him the money knowing i am now broke, so that is where i don't understand their scam.

He continued for 2 reasons:
1) Many of these scammers believe that even "broke" people in more affluent countries can get more money if they want to. A scammer will gladly tell a bankrupt victim to take out a loan, sell their car or other belongings, even mortgage their house and wind up on the street to get the money for fees.
2) They have heard it before. In almost every successful scammer's past, a victim who was supposedly broke, even on the verge of bankruptcy has still managed to cough up more money in the end.

If you haven't already, please cut off all contact with this scammer. There is a link in my signature line with more information for victims--please read the information there if you haven't done so.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#57265 by Katharina Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am
Some scammers who realised their victims were indeed broke have tried to turn them into "cheque mules" or get them to launder money: They have asked them to cash (counterfeit!!!) money orders for them or to buy goods for them with phished credit card details.
#57326 by DupedbyLove Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 am
yes thank you, i realize he would have attempted to get more money out of me.

and i know there is this compelling desire to try to scam him right back to get my money back, which i know won't happen and also the desire to want to get revenge and send him a virus to his email.

i'm getting past the denial stage and still lingering in the shame/guilt stage although anger and depression has creeped in also. :(
#57327 by Katharina Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 am
Please don't feel guilty and ashamed! You didn't know about this type of scam - how were you supposed to protect yourself?
And you went public which is a very courageous thing to do. A lot of victims never tell anyone and carry the burden all their lives.
Your report will help others; even if they don't post here rest assured that some of them will find their way to ScamWarners.
Take your time to heal. When you are ready you might consider warning friends and relatives.
#57342 by DupedbyLove Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:52 pm
thank you Katerina. i only told 3 people about him to begin with because i knew what others would say. so telling those people that do know what i've been up to won't be too dramatic.

i plan on also sending an email to Match.com to warn them.

what troubles me is there is still this inkling of a thought in the back of my mind that this guy might be one of those that aren't scamming me and he intends on paying me back.

how do i get a hold of myself and snap out of it? out of that train of thought? is there some way he can prove to me he is either honest or dishonest definitively?
#57350 by Katharina Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:51 pm
If you browse our forum and read other posts of ladies who have been scammed you will soon realise that the story your scammer told you has been used time and again with some variations. No-one has ever received their money back.
Please don't allow this criminal to hurt you again. If you ask him for proof he will tell you more sweet lies, you will doubt again, and prolong your suffering.
Think about this: If you met a man in real life, and after a short time he asked you for money, you would drop him, would'nt you?
I can imagine it is hard to disentangle oneself from a relationship that to you was real. Now I'd like to invite you to see the scammer's reality. Have a look at this gallery collected by our collegues at RomanceScam:

http://www.romancescam.com/scammers4real.htm
(the site is loading very slowly)

Your scammer is a very young African in an internet café who couldn't care less about his victims.
#57351 by DupedbyLove Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:03 pm
after re-readin some of them, i found my own red flags....again. i knew they were flags then but i denied it.

do all african's or nigerians always add an S to some words and names??? i noticed that. I asked him what his dad's name was and he said Stevens. LOL his african guide was named Martins.

here are a couple samples of his lovey doveyness.

After a long day...
I am here in search of my baby...
I miss her...
I long for her touch...
I look into the skies...
All I see is her face ...
Photographed on the base of the cloud...
I miss her so even more as I can't just touch her...
But my heart has built a world full of her...
She is my love...
And I live only for her!

Just a little something I wrote when I was thinking about u today...I am missing u my angel.love those pics u sent...
Love u so much
Sent from Bryan's BlackBerry

> From: [email protected]
> To:
> Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 06:16:25 +0000
> Subject: Re: My baby
>
> its so heart warming reading your email..u bring more life to my soul each passing day.I am glad u not afraid anymore to express ur heart feelings to me.u so complete me and I will never hide my feelings from u too cos I love u so much..didn't think I could fall like this...oh baby..u have changed my world.
> I know we would be happy together as u are one of the few rare persons left on earth and I am happy to have u.hope u are dreaming about me now?lol..
> Love u
> Sent from Bryan's BlackBerry
>
#57352 by DupedbyLove Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:07 pm
with this one, he had told me that after he travels from Kenya on a legitimate job from a reliable contractor, he had to go to Nigeria, which i was hesitant about because of all the bad press and danger there. so i had sent him links about travel safety. i did strike me odd that a guy who supposedly traveled all his life with his parents was so naive about going to a place like this.

Goodmorning my baby. just woke up..dreamt about us baby...what a beautiful dream...I dreamt we had a beautiful time.we kissed and we even made love..mmmm..can't get y out of my head baby.
So about the talk about nigeria and my purpose of going there...I am really going there on my own benefit. I'm not hiding anything from u about it as I am going there to to have a personal project done..someone informed me about the contract...its about drawing a plan for road construction..as u will find out..they have no good road in nigeria...even in most african country.this is what I really need to get back on my feet baby...
I read about the risk and hazard concerning going to nigeria..I heard some things like that before but not in a detailed form as the link u sent baby.it scares me baby but I need this job..guess I would have to guaranty u darlin that I would careful for both our sakes...wanna get to my baby in one piece..lol..
I love u baby...gonna travel now to nakuru..my journey to nigeria is tomorrow.
Missing u so much my baby...
Love u
#57466 by Katharina Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:29 pm
do all african's or nigerians always add an S to some words and names

Well spotted! You are right! In Nigaria they mention their names this way: Family name first, given name last. Many Nigerians don't realise that in most western countries it's the other way round. So when they try to copy an American or British name they found on the internet, they see "Peter Stevens" and assume that Stevens is the given name.

:=)

I googled text passages from the mails you quoted - no joy. :( At this stage he was already adjusting his mails to your situation so they are more personal. Perhaps some of his first mails will bring results.
#57561 by DupedbyLove Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:36 pm
last correspondence from him: WITH HEADER

his IP starts with 10 which is private and the other 65 one is Hotmail/microsoft in washington, but is there anything else you can gleen off of this??

and you'll see my last email to him...this was in response to him telling me that he couldn't cash a $20K check that he got from his job in Nigeria. the one that was going to make it all better.

he has also sent me a couple of IM's asking why i am ignoring him. if that was me, i'd be asking are you ok? it's not like you to just disappear?

i really want to play and say that i was in an accident, and i just got out of the hospital and i need my money back for medical bills, etc. just to see what he would try to pull next. he is supposed to be going to a wedding saturday for a friend of his, which was the last thing that kept us apart. and i am really curious to see what would be his next excuse as to why he was still in london.

what do you think?

Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=pass (sender IP is 65.55.90.208) [email protected]; dkim=neutral header.d=hotmail.com; x-hmca=pass

X-Message-Status: n:0:n

X-SID-PRA: bryan bradley <[email protected]>

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-AUTH-Result: PASS

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Info: 1MbNyKYGbyxkf660Ty0yzPN3M4HRPPoaoK+xCpugsShlU0S/FdcnXZo/kB8xhyNP5W7iWbF3i7NFgeGpyHBeQH5FETDUBCFzzCpeV33sk8HE1xcoSmy78008W4epSyckuJGCcJlt2nk=

Received: from snt0-omc4-s5.snt0.hotmail.com ([65.55.90.208]) by SNT0-HMMC2-F6.phx.gbl with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:25:17 -0700

Received: from SNT133-DS12 ([65.55.90.199]) by snt0-omc4-s5.snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:25:15 -0700

X-Originating-IP: [10.15.40.59]

X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Return-Path: [email protected]

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

To:
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:25:14 +0000

Subject: Re: thank you

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Jun 2011 16:25:15.0105 (UTC) FILETIME=[4AE8ED10:01CC3742]

I see u won't even say anything....u have totally left me all alone..I need ur presence now and u not even here anymore...it breaks my heart even more...

Anyway,will let u do what u want...so u know,I miss u...but if u don't want to talk to me anymore cause of my troubles..I understand..

-----Original Message-----

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:19:42=20

To: <[email protected]>

Subject: RE: thank you

sorry bout before my messenger froze.

cant believe what kind of criminals are out there taking money from good people. people who are struggling themselves to live. they have no conscience. those nigerian scum! may god punish them in every way. they will get what they deserve tenfold! pure evil they all are.

its a good thing there are undercover agents working to flush them out. scamming the scammers. lol theyll get what they deserve.
#57569 by Dotti Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm
Drop him--don't try to play with him. You should never bait (play with) a scammer who has your real life information.

As far as the IP goes, it's not going to give an originating IP--sometimes that happens--based on the way his email is configured on his blackberry, it will likely always point to the same origin.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#58485 by DupedbyLove Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 pm
Update:

i have not contacted him since i reported this incident.

here are the last couple of emails i got from him....you tell me.

I see u won't even say anything....u have totally left me all alone..I need ur presence now and u not even here anymore...it breaks my heart even more...
Anyway,will let u do what u want...so u know,I miss u...but if u don't want to talk to me anymore cause of my troubles..I understand..

I'm scared something happened to you. You have been gone over a week and not online at all. Please don't be dead. If you don't want to talk to me anymore, please just tell me that. I miss you and love you and wish you were here. I don't know what to do.

then today:

Can't believe the shit u said about me online...thanks for all that...u are so wrong and I am ready to pay ur money back..tell me how u want me to send it.
> Thanks for the help when I needed it but wasn't enough to blacklist me and call me a nigerian scammer...well done !
> Sent from Bryan's BlackBerry
>