Information on romance scams and scammers.
#52964 by Sagely Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm
futurewife1958 wrote:
I have tried to search for the name on Google, have even tried on Yellow pages in the States but there is no person with that name. I still have the phone number to the guy I was calling –checked it out, and it was from Ghana – a cell phone number –I still have a lot of pictures too – maybe someone can tell me where I can try to search for information ? Or can any of you guys help me. I am really new to this and wished it had never happened. I really felt I was in love with this guy. His face his eyes – it all seems so sincere, so nice , so trustful looking at… And even though I will never send him money – A little part of him wants to believe that al least his feelings for me were/are true – even though I know it is only me who is stupid here – and very sensitive unfortunately :cry:

Hello Futurewife 1958

I would like to say that you are showing great courage in sharing your story with us all here, it will be very valuable to us all.
My feeling here is he has particularly "preyed" on you sense of hope and longing. Would I be correct in saying that it is reflected in your avatar name, and the number being a personal date?

You have given us a great rundown of what your experience and emotions have been and due to your candidness others will gain from it.
I have quoted on your last paragraph and highlighted an cpl of things that do concern me and you need to be mindfull of.
1st. You have to convince your self and believe that this was a total scam, you musn`t allow your self to think/hope that there was "any" chance it might have been "slightly" real, Please accept that this is 100% a scam.

2nd. Please dont consider yourself stupid.... full stop. Its simply that you are a victim of a very deceitfull and calous person.

It is no wonder you are sesitive and I`m sure "expressing" your many emotions.

I would like you to know you have 100% support here. Please tell us how you are recovering from this ordeal.

Sagely

And remeber to talk about it, when you have finished talking, talk about it a bit more.
Advertisement

#53618 by mystica Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 pm
Hi!i have join the romance/dating site called NETLOG.com,....this april ,..recieve 5 request for my ym or msn,..which i gladly give it to this Fake military men,....thinking its easy to delete them if they i found them fake,....they introduce themselves with 1 child but either divorce or widow....serving in secret mission at afghanistan,....,first i notice,..they are so transparent in telling the world that they serve as Military,Army,....even in their names they dont hide themselves ,...which is unlikely for the real military men....one thing,..is u r from US and u r using ur computer or laptop and join any networking,...its impossible not to have cam....which even the poorest country,..if they have computer ,camera is included....so it smell fishy this men's motives,...so told them straight away that they can't fool me if they have no cam,...coz they are maybe wanted in crimes they committed.....hereit is how did i found this site,...
Im chatting with the name of capt.johnson bennett from US ,..and take note:he got Facebook with some military pictures,...he ask my tel.no so he can call me to get to know each other,...telling He loves me for 2days exchanging messages,...which i dont believe,...then when i play with his game why he is so persistent to know my job as where i get my everyday living,if i got kids,...in short,..He ask me my no.so he can call me,...so i give him but when i give it to him he said his internet provision will be gone soon coz he is just using friends allowance to use internet,..so he ask me to send message in [email protected],....which i check it in google if its true military website and found it as freemail....then come to ur site,......he keep on insisting me to send email to that site so we could use the priviledge of free calls and free internet,...which i doubted,....while doing this sharing my experience he is asking me if send it already but i told him my security of my laptop,cant send it to the email he give coz its spam but he said try and try then lets him know if i send it,...and not to be surprise if theres a payment that they will ask coz that is refundable he said,...and checking his picture in facebook ,its look like he have similarity with the other guy whom i chatted to in netlog with his facebook but different name
imsharing this this coz there a lot of different spam going on in dating or romance site ,..some are posting as engineers and stranded in thier jobsite asking for help,...one is an artist who is in mission in africa to help a church there but asking some financial help....with same stories,....with 1-2 child,...even in job offer..
we need to be wiser sometimes if money involves.

J
#53621 by Helen Halper Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 pm
Hi mystica !
Welcome to scamwarners.
I'm glad that you are able to spot the scammers and have not been fooled by any of them.
Would you please post any emails and names and addresses of the scammers that you encounter?

#53659 by mummarocker Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 am
I was on the BEAR SHARE site when I got a friend request from a serving member of the US Army in Kabul
he gave his name as Jordan Macmillian we chattted for a while when he asked if I would him a "favor" and get in touch with "WIRELESS SECURITY DEPARTMENT" asking for permission to communicate with him so I agressed and tgan was give the email address as [email protected] I received a reply almost at once
given the permission and that I should sent $225USD within 48 hour so that it could be processed that when I became suspicious I checked The US Embassy here only to be told that it was all a scam
I have since put in acomplaint with the FBI so hopefully they will put a stop to this
#55868 by Dimples1001 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:10 pm
Sorry that you were scammed unfortunately a lot of us out here on this site was scammed as well. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and be thankful that magot piece of shit is not contacting you and you shouldn't be sitting there waiting for him to ask you again for the money bcos we know for sure he will. I was scammed full well knowing that i was being used. However, I look back on that situation and say Wow, how deseparate was I? There is no such thing as continuing communications with those people and not sending any money; if you think so, you are being extremely gullible, naive and delusional. If you think you are going to continue telling him you cant get the money and stay in contact you're really getting ready to be setup. I thought the same thing also but in hindsight and $6k lighter I'm was traumatized back into reality. I can't find my scammer either on the web other than on myspace his facebook profile disappeared and another appeared of a different character. All of the sweet little nothings written are just that plagarized material from different sites. In fact, I'll be quite honest here and tell you how gullible I was. I called the gentleman who my scammer was impersonating and spoke with him. Haha hee, my scammer was able to convince me that I must have had the wrong phone number. Crazy as it seems, I allowed someone lips to tell me what my eyes saw was incorrect.

A word of advice since you're not out of any cash yet, Girl, leave it alone. Stop/block any contact. I apologize if this message seems harsh but it's reality.
#55972 by dllipsco Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:41 pm
[email protected] started talking to me on a dating website then we started talking on yahoo IM. she told me she was a orphan. after a few short days she says she loves me. she says she is in Afghanistan on mission for 3 years. a lot of red flags are being popes up. she said she was getting leave to come see me. this is the e-mail i received at this point.

** ATTN **: my name was here

THIS MESSAGE CONFIRMS THAT WE GOT AN EMAIL FROM OUR DEPLOYED OFFICER STAFF SGT JANE AKINOLA MORGAN APPLYING FOR A LEAVE REQUEST BASED ON A WEDDING PLANNED BETWEEN BOTH PARTIES ....WE HEREBY SEND THIS MESSAGE AS A NOTIFICATION AND HEREBY REQUEST FOR YOUR CONFIRMATION THAT THE STATED REASON IS GENUINE.ONCE WE HAVE A MESSAGE FROM YOU WE WILL COMMENCE WITH THE LEAVE PROCESSING AND AS WELL SEND YOU SOME PAPER WORKS WHICH WE WILL WANT YOU TO READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS/TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLIED TO IT.
ALSO STAFF SGT JANE AKINOLA MORGAN HAS CHOSEN YOU AS HER NEXT OF KIN/BENEFICIARY TO ALL CLAIMS AND BENEFITS TO BE RECEIVED UNDER THIS LEAVE REQUEST. IN BRIEF WE WANT YOU TO NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE SOME ALLOWANCES/CLAIMS THAT WILL BE RELEASED AN CLEARED BY YOU AS THIS LEAVE REQUEST IS BEEN PROCESSED,SO THEREFORE YOU WILL HAVE SOME FORMS TO BE COMPLETED AND SIGNED IN WHICH WE WILL CONTACT YOU SHORTLY VIA EMAIL ONCE WE HAVE RECEIVED A CONFIRMATION MAIL TO PROCEED WITH THE LEAVE REQUEST.

SINCERELY,
PROCESSING OFFICER
LT.COL ROBERT GONZALEZ
LEAVE PROCESSING DEPARTMENT
US ARMY

EMAIL : [email protected]

i looked up the e-mail address and it led me to this spammer sight.. i haven't sent any money or filled out any forms. this person does have my address and phone number but i don't think i have to worry about any one bugging me on the phone or cumming to my home. please be aware of this person she will probably change name. I'm reporting her as a spammer to yahoo.
#56763 by 77cougar Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:59 pm
I am brand new to this so please feel free to jump in & help me out here. I encountered a guy who called himself Colonel Dallas Steve Christian who claimed to be stationed in Darfur Sudan as a legislative liasion & a battalion commander. Saw red flags & stopped with him. Then another guy popped up, who claims to be Sgt. Eddy Martins stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan on peacekeeping mission & who is due for 'auto retirement' after 20 years in Army. Started asking for money for something called 'stamp duty' which is supposed to release him so he can come back home to U.S. Told me he was going to set up Facebook as Sgt. Eddy Martins & status would show he's in a relationship with me. I searched Facebook for this account, which wasn't there but did find a post from lady who said she's been scammed by him for a lot of money. That stopped me dead in my tracks! I emailed him & told him it's over.
So watch out for: [email protected] & [email protected]

I know this isn't about armymail.com but wanted to put my info. in so will hopefully help others from getting sucked in by these low lifes.
#57667 by alocin100 Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:51 am
I'm glad I've found this site I to have been talking to a guy who claims to be in Kabul and a senior Sergeant In the US army. He claims to be called Owen Smith and has a 15 year old son who lives in Manchester. He asks for phone top ups Which stupidly i have sent him. I have got the form to complete for his leave request. Told him i would fill it in tomorrow but guess what....Don't think i'll bother. So thank you
#57756 by Katharina Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 am
Welcome alocin!

I'm really sorry you have been scammed, I hate those lowlifes. :evil:

Do you still have the email addresses the scammer used - his own, superior officers, fake telephone company ...?
This would be a great help for future victims who do a Google search.

I hope you will recover from this ugly experience.
#58001 by sillygirl Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm
alocin100
Glad you found this site. I was in contact with "Owen Smith" since November last year who was "in the US Army based in Kabul and had a 15 year old son. He lived in Manchester but his son was with a guardian in Cambridge". Like you I sent phone top ups, but stupidly I did fill in the form for his leave to his Col.

Please send me a personal message with his e-mail address on it, as I have been in touch with the Police and it will be interesting to see if he used the same address, if so will let the police know he is still contacting people
#58005 by Dotti Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 pm
Sillygirl,
There is no reason the email addresses used by the scammer need to be sent by private message. They are best posted here where google can find them and others can hopefully avoid being scammed.
The truth is, unless the scammer is currently in jail without internet access, it is pretty much guaranteed he is still contacting people--and Owen Smith is undoubtedly not the only name he uses. Since he has a UK IP and there is a chance he is in UK, there is a chance the police can do something, but even if they can, that will take time, and in the meantime, we want to keep others from falling into the same scam.

Alocin,
Please do post more information here, including any email addresses and phone numbers the scammer used with you, as they may help the next potential vicitim avoid being scammed.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#58051 by sillygirl Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 am
Dotti/Alocin100

I have already posted his email address with the last email he sent me under another forum think its was Sgt Andy Williams.

Will be interested to see what he told Alocin100 what happed to his wife and his son's name, to see if its all the same as what he told me

Unfortunately I found this site and all about him too late and have lost a lot of money to him, hence why gone to the police, would like it if he is in the UK.

The post is here. ~Bubbles viewtopic.php?t=16934
#58124 by sillygirl Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 am
alocin100

It will be interesting to see if he gave you the same e-mail address/storey about wife/son's name/pager number as he gave me, if you post them and check them against what I was told and if need be tell the police that he is still in circulation.
#59089 by David Jansen Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:09 am
Welcome here Bummed2.

I'm sorry you got scammed. Have you found the emails that were send to you by this scammer already posted here? If not, please post some of the emails that were send to you, without your name and email address of course. If the scammer had send you some photos too, then please post them too. You can read about how to post photos HERE
And if you have any further questions, just ask.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.