Room for Rent and other rental scams
#58506 by Con Warner Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm
Date: July 11, 2011 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: RE: Apt for Rent

Hello,

The Apartment located in 18 Yonge St, Toronto, ON is still available. It has 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. The company I work for has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in London, United Kingdom. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. I don't want to make a business or a profit with the apartment. Just want to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place because I really love it. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.The apartment is unfurnished but if you want you can use my furniture from the storage unit. The rent for 1 month is 820CAD$ (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots indoor, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, stove, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). Everything in this apt is functional because is recently renovated. If you need to do some reparations (the worst case that could happen) in the apartment, I will cover the reparations cost, or I will deduct those from monthly payment. You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys because it is a private property but I hope that we will find a compromise.
If you have any other questions please contact me back by e-mail.

Thank you for your interest and i`m waiting for your answer

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Like I have informed you before, the price you have to pay for one month of rent will be 820CAD$ with no extra fees you will have access to all facilities provide by the building. The utility bills are paid directly from my bank account. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for. We can start with a 6 months rental contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you. About the payment, I would like to receive it monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it. The apartment is ready for you, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. The apt will be unfurnished but it can be rented very easily with the furniture at the same price. Also pets are allowed. Since I'm in London, United Kingdom we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called TNT Express which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allows you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys, and through this way you will see it and decide if you like it or not, before sending the payment. Please click on the link bellow to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the web site of the company where this procedure is explained:http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/home/services/special_services/international_time_critical_services.html ( if the link is not working please try and copy it in your web browser). Any further questions e-mail me back or you can call me at: +442032391274

Let me know if you are interested !

Hello again,

If you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you with the steps on how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to TNT Express the first month of rent 820CAD$ so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract. I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full shipping info(full name, address and phone number).
2 - I will go at TNT Express to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - TNT Express will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London.
4 - TNT Express will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody and that I am the real owner of the apartment I am renting to you, in which you will also have all the instructions to complete the Western Union transfer to the TNT Express Agent.
5 - At this point you will have to go to a Western Union Location and make a money deposit on the TNT Express Agent Name for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the transfer information to TNT Express.
7 - TNT Express will verify the payment information and if everything is in order they will proceed with the delivery of the keys and the contract.
8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you must contact TNT Express to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if all is in order you will instruct TNT Express to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Also pay the Western Union transfer fees from the total amount you need to deposit and send the rest in balance.

Let me know if we can move forward

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement