Room for Rent and other rental scams
#55723 by Almostscammed_13 Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:56 pm
We almost got scammed by this guy, saw a similar post from Finland - Beware!!

The guy will ask you to sign up with Yahoo Real Estate and send 2 months up front rent + 1 months deposit, for you to be able to inspect the property, which Yahoo will hold until you are happy with the property + contract. Surprise surprise Yahoo does NOT supply this service!

Alias used: Tobias Gusstafsson (should have realised it here with the misspelt surname...)
[email protected]

To: Subject: RE: Ang. 3: a i Vasastan
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:54:42 +0000

Hei,
Mitt namn är Tobias och jag befinner mig i Storbritannien. Först och främst ber jag om ursäkt för att inte skriva på svenska. Jag vill säga att jag är ursprungligen från Sverige (mina föräldrar är båda svenska) men jag är född i England och jag har bott här sedan jag föddes. Av denna anledning, jag talar inte svenska mycket bra och jag har mycket svårt att uttrycka mig. För frågor, vänligen kontakta mig på engelska (helst) och på svenska (om du inte talar engelska) och jag ska göra mitt bästa för att beskriva alla detaljer för att du så tydligt som möjligt.

I will start by giving you some information regarding the reason why I am renting the apartment. The apartment that you are interested in, I bought it for holidays in Sweden, in order to explore my Swedish heritage. As I said from the beginning, my parents are originally from Sweden and I love Sweden as a country and also it's landscapes. I have decided to rent the apartment because my financial situation is not so good at this time. I also can not come to Sweden in the near future because I just received a new work contract on the Dunbar Oil platform ( I work as an engineer ) and I will be there for at least 8 months per year. Due to my present situation, I will not be able to use the apartment for at least one year and I have decided that it is better to rent it for an extra income. ( to earn some money ). I really hope to find a good and responsible tenant for the apartment. If you are planning to rent for more then one year, it's not a problem, because I can give it for rent for as long as you need.

Due to my work and also because I can not come to Sweden to show you the apartment in person, I suggest to use a multinational renting service, provided by Yahoo! Real Estate. This is a service provided by Yahoo Company specially for renting transactions. Yahoo! Real Estate has a big experience in such transactions closed over the Internet and their services are the most recommended for such transactions. I have used their services for different things in the past and I was very pleased with what they are offering to their customers ( In Scandinavia, Yahoo Services are recommended by Aftenposten, FINN.no, Blocket.se and Aftonbladet ). Using Yahoo! Real Estate services, the tenant will have a 10 days period to inspect the apartment and then to decide if he wants to rent it or not. Also by using their services, I will not receive any money until you will see the apartment and confirm with Yahoo! Real Estate that you accept to rent it. Yahoo! Real Estate works exactly as an Escrow Company ( If you have never heard how an escrow company works, you can find information anywhere over the Internet about this type of companies / are the most recommended all over the world for any type of transaction ). The renting of the apartment will be done in compliance with Yahoo! Real Estate, with a standard tenancy contract, according to the Swedish federation of house owners and also according to the Swedish legislation. More details regarding the transaction steps I can give you in a separate message ( in case you are interested ) but now I want to give you a few details about the apartment and also about the renting details.
I am renting the apartment for 6.400 SEK per month with everything included ( electricity, water, heating,internet + 1 parking space ). In case we understand for the transaction, I want the tenant to pay two months in advance and one month as guarantee deposit ( there will be a total of 19.200 SEK ). The guarantee deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the contract. Also regarding this thing we can discuss latter. Regarding the apartment conditions I can tell you that it's fully furnished but can be rented unfurnished also and you can deposit my furniture ( and everything you will not use ) in the building storage area.
So, if you are interested to rent the apartment now or for the near future, I can reserve the apartment for you without any problems, we just need to agree for the transaction details. Now to confirm your interest in renting my apartment, please give me more information about you, about your job, references ( if available ). I am waiting for your shortly reply so I can give you more information about the whole rental process.

Thank you in advance!

Tobias Gustafsson
88 Braemar Avenue
Wood Green London N22 7AR
United Kingdom

Second email>>
Hello and thank you for your reply.
The address of the apartment is Eastmansvägen 3 113 61 Stockholm.
I have attached some pictures of the apartment for you.
I will be more then happy to be your Landlord. As I told you before I want to use the Yahoo! Real Estate rental program to rent the apartment. Here you can find more information about how everything works ( Yahoo! Real Estate Rental Terms ). Please read the terms in order to see if you agree. Right now they are already in the possession of the keys and they will take care of everything on my behalf.

I will also try to explain you step by step how everything is handled ( according to the 5 steps from the yahoo! real estate rental terms ):

(Step 1) You decide that you want to rent the apartment and you contact me with your full name, date of birth and the address where you want the keys and also the contract be delivered. Then I will forward all the information to Yahoo! Real Estate Company and in maximum 24 hours they will approve the transaction and will contact you with the confirmation of the transaction and also future transaction instructions.

(Step 2) You will have to deposit 19.200 SEK ( 2 first renting months + 1 guarantee month ) to Yahoo! Real Estate. They will lock the payment on your behalf (only you can unlock the payment). Upon payment confirmation the shipping of the keys and of the contract will start. By paying you are not committing to anything, you are just respecting a policy of an abroad rental company. The money that you will pay now are 100% refundable, no questions will be asked if you request a refund.

(Step 3) After the payment will be confirmed and locked in Yahoo! Real Estate custody, the shipping of the keys and of the contract will be started. In 5 days you will receive the keys and also the contract.

(Step 4) After you will receive the keys and the contract, you will have 10 days to inspect the apartment ( you will not be charged for the 10 days ). At the end of the 10 days you have the right to decide if you want to rent it or not ( if the apartment meets your conditions ).

(Step 5) If you want to rent it, you will sign the contract and fax it to Yahoo! Real Estate representative. After that you will have to instruct Yahoo! Real Estate to release the funds to me ( in all this time your money will be locked into Yahoo! Real Estate possession and won't be forwarded to me until they will receive your confirmation that you accept to rent the apartment ).
If you don't want to rent it, you will contact Yahoo! Real Estate and ask to have your money refunded. In this situation, in maximum 24 hours they will refund your money back and you will return the keys and also the contract to me. The returning of the keys and also of the contract, will be done with the same company that will deliver it and I will support the returning taxes. ( I am sure we won't need to use the return policy because the apartment is exactly as I described it and I am sure it will meet your conditions ).

This are the transaction steps. I hope everything is clear and in case you agree to start the transaction, I am waiting for your email with the requested information (full name , date of birth, delivery address) so I can initiate the transaction with Yahoo! Real Estate . After receiving the information from you, I will contact Yahoo! Real Estate and start the transaction with you as my tenant and as the intended receiver of the keys. From my part everything is prepared with Yahoo! Real Estate , the transaction will be started same day when I receive the information from you.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you!
Advertisement

#55747 by Bubbles Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:12 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Almostscammed_13. Good on you to recognize the problems with this scam. We appreciate you posting the information for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#59181 by scammerhunter Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 am
He is also in Finland as you mentioned, I've just gotten first email from him:
His email address is [email protected]

Hei,

Nimeni on Erik ja minä olemme Englannissa. Ensinnäkin, pyydän anteeksi, etten kirjoittaa suomeksi. Sanoisin Olen kotoisin Suomen (vanhempani ovat molemmat suomalaisia??), mutta olen syntynyt Englannissa ja olen asunut täällä, koska olen syntynyt. Tästä syystä en puhu suomea hyvin, ja olen ollut erittäin vaikea ilmaista itseäni. Jos sinulla on kysyttävää, ota yhteyttä minuun Englanti (mieluiten) ja Tanskassa (jos et puhu Englanti) ja aion tehdä parhaani kuvata kaikki tiedot asiakkaalle mahdollisimman selkeästi.

I will start by giving you some information regarding the reason why I am renting the apartment. The apartment that you are interested in, I bought it for holidays in Finland, in order to explore my finnish heritage. As I said from the beginning, my parents are originally from Finland and I love Finland as a country and also it's landscapes. I have decided to rent the apartment because my financial situation is not so good at this time. I also can not come to Finland in the near future because I just received a new work contract on the Dunbar Oil platform ( I work as an engineer ) and I will be there for at least 8 months per year. Due to my present situation, I will not be able to use the apartment for at least one year and I have decided that it is better to rent it for an extra income. ( to earn some money ). I really hope to find a good and responsible tenant for the apartment. If you are planning to rent for more then one year, it's not a problem, because I can give it for rent for as long as you need.

Due to my work and also because I can not come to Finland to show you the apartment in person, I suggest to use a multinational renting service, provided by Yahoo! Real Estate. This is a service provided by Yahoo Company specially for renting transactions. Yahoo! Real Estate has a big experience in such transactions closed over the Internet and their services are the most recommended for such transactions. I have used their services for different things in the past and I was very pleased with what they are offering to their customers ( In Scandinavia, Yahoo Services are recommended by Aftenposten, Oikotie.fi, FINN.no, and Aftonbladet ). Using Yahoo! Real Estate services, the tenant will have a 10 days period to inspect the apartment and then to decide if he wants to rent it or not. Also by using their services, I will not receive any money until you will see the apartment and confirm with Yahoo! Real Estate that you accept to rent it. Yahoo! Real Estate works exactly as an Escrow Company ( If you have never heard how an escrow company works, you can find information anywhere over the Internet about this type of companies / are the most recommended all over the world for any type of transaction ). The renting of the apartment will be done in compliance with Yahoo! Real Estate, with a standard tenancy contract, according to the finnish federation of house owners and also according to the finnish legislation. More details regarding the transaction steps I can give you in a separate message ( in case you are interested ) but now I want to give you a few details about the apartment and also about the renting details.
I am renting the apartment for 625 EUR per month with everything included ( electricity, water, heating, + 1 parking space ). In case we understand for the transaction, I want the tenant to pay one month in advance and two months as guarantee deposit ( there will be a total of 1,875 EUR ). The guarantee deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the contract. Also regarding this thing we can discuss latter. Regarding the apartment conditions I can tell you that it's fully furnished but can be rented unfurnished also and you can deposit my furniture ( and everything you will not use ) in the building storage area.
So, if you are interested to rent the apartment now or for the near future, I can reserve the apartment for you without any problems, we just need to agree for the transaction details. Now to confirm your interest in renting my apartment, please give me more information about you, about your job, references ( if available ). I am waiting for your shortly reply so I can give you more information about the whole rental process.

Thank you in advance!

Erik Lindberg
20 Herbert Road
Eltham London SE18 3QE
United Kingdom
#59275 by Bubbles Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 am
Yes, they try to catch as many people as they can in as many "markets" as they can. Than you for posting this information.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#62907 by maceochi Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:00 pm
I received a similar email from a Daniel Laurin ([email protected]), having contacted him via the oikotie.fi site. I should have realised something was up because of the mistakes he made in Finnish and English.

Hei,
Nimeni on Daniel ja minä olemme Englannissa. Ensinnäkin, pyydän anteeksi, etten kirjoittaa suomeksi. Sanoisin Olen kotoisin Suomen (vanhempani ovat molemmat suomalaisia??), mutta olen syntynyt Englannissa ja olen asunut täällä, koska olen syntynyt. Tästä syystä en puhu suomea hyvin, ja olen ollut erittäin vaikea ilmaista itseäni. Jos sinulla on kysyttävää, ota yhteyttä minuun Englanti (mieluiten) ja Tanskassa (jos et puhu Englanti) ja aion tehdä parhaani kuvata kaikki tiedot asiakkaalle mahdollisimman selkeästi.
I will start by giving you some information regarding the reason why I am renting the apartment. The apartment that you are interested in, I bought it for holidays in Finland, in order to explore my finnish heritage. As I said from the beginning, my parents are originally from Finland and I love Finland as a country and also it's landscapes. I have decided to rent the apartment because my financial situation is not so good at this time. I also can not come to Finland in the near future because I just received a new work contract on the Dunbar Oil platform ( I work as an engineer ) and I will be there for at least 8 months per year. Due to my present situation, I will not be able to use the apartment for at least one year and I have decided that it is better to rent it for an extra income. ( to earn some money ). I really hope to find a good and responsible tenant for the apartment. If you are planning to rent for more then one year, it's not a problem, because I can give it for rent for as long as you need.

Due to my work and also because I can not come to Finland to show you the apartment in person, I suggest to use a multinational renting service, provided by Yahoo! Real Estate. This is a service provided by Yahoo Company specially for renting transactions. Yahoo! Real Estate has a big experience in such transactions closed over the Internet and their services are the most recommended for such transactions. I have used their services for different things in the past and I was very pleased with what they are offering to their customers ( In Scandinavia, Yahoo Services are recommended by Aftenposten, Oikotie.fi, FINN.no, and Aftonbladet ). Using Yahoo! Real Estate services, the tenant will have a 10 days period to inspect the apartment and then to decide if he wants to rent it or not. Also by using their services, I will not receive any money until you will see the apartment and confirm with Yahoo! Real Estate that you accept to rent it. Yahoo! Real Estate works exactly as an Escrow Company ( If you have never heard how an escrow company works, you can find information anywhere over the Internet about this type of companies / are the most recommended all over the world for any type of transaction ). The renting of the apartment will be done in compliance with Yahoo! Real Estate, with a standard tenancy contract, according to the finnish federation of house owners and also according to the finnish legislation. More details regarding the transaction steps I can give you in a separate message ( in case you are interested ) but now I want to give you a few details about the apartment and also about the renting details.
I am renting the apartment for 810 EUR per month with everything included ( electricity, water, heating, + 1 parking space ). In case we understand for the transaction, I want the tenant to pay one month in advance and one months as guarantee deposit ( there will be a total of 1,620 EUR ). The guarantee deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the contract. Also regarding this thing we can discuss latter. Regarding the apartment conditions I can tell you that it's fully furnished but can be rented unfurnished also and you can deposit my furniture ( and everything you will not use ) in the building storage area.
Thank you in advance!

Daniel Laurin
20 Herbert Road
Eltham London SE18 3QE
United Kingdom
#74294 by holacarola Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am
I got the exact same mail. What it was funny about it was that the name was in a different font. Really bad cut and paste. Here is the mail I got:

Mail: Ruben Fredriksson <[email protected]>

Hei,
Mitt namn är Ruben och jag befinner mig i Storbritannien. Först och främst ber jag om ursäkt för att inte skriva p? svenska. Jag vill säga att jag är ursprungligen fr?n Sverige (mina föräldrar är b?da svenska) men jag är född i England och jag har bott här sedan jag föddes. Av denna anledning, jag talar inte svenska mycket bra och jag har mycket sv?rt att uttrycka mig. För fr?gor, vänligen kontakta mig p? engelska (helst) och p? svenska (om du inte talar engelska) och jag ska göra mitt bästa för att beskriva alla detaljer för att du s? tydligt som möjligt.
The apartment that you are interested in, I bought it for holidays in Sweden, in order to explore my Swedish heritage. As I said from the beginning, my parents are originally from Sweden and I love Sweden as a country and also it's landscapes. I have decided to rent the apartment because my financial situation is not so good at this time. I also can not come to Sweden in the near future because I just received a new work contract on the Dunbar Oil platform ( I work as an engineer ) and I will be there for at least 8 months per year. Due to my present situation, I will not be able to use the apartment for at least one year and I have decided that it is better to rent it for an extra income. ( to earn some money ). I really hope to find a good and responsible tenant for the apartment. If you are planning to rent for more then one year, it's not a problem, because I can give it for rent for as long as you need.

Due to my work and also because I can not come to Sweden to show you the apartment in person, I suggest to use a multinational renting service, provided by Yahoo! Real Estate. This is a service provided by Yahoo Company specially for renting transactions. Yahoo! Real Estate has a big experience in such transactions closed over the Internet and their services are the most recommended for such transactions. I have used their services for different things in the past and I was very pleased with what they are offering to their customers ( In Scandinavia, Yahoo Services are recommended by Aftenposten, FINN.no, Blocket.se and Aftonbladet ). Using Yahoo! Real Estate services, the tenant will have a 10 days period to inspect the apartment and then to decide if he wants to rent it or not. Also by using their services, I will not receive any money until you will see the apartment and confirm with Yahoo! Real Estate that you accept to rent it. Yahoo! Real Estate works exactly as an Escrow Company ( If you have never heard how an escrow company works, you can find information anywhere over the Internet about this type of companies / are the most recommended all over the world for any type of transaction ). The renting of the apartment will be done in compliance with Yahoo! Real Estate, with a standard tenancy contract, according to the Swedish federation of house owners and also according to the Swedish legislation. More details regarding the transaction steps I can give you in a separate message ( in case you are interested ) but now I want to give you a few details about the apartment and also about the renting details.
I am renting the apartment for 5.850 SEK per month with everything included ( electricity, water, heating, + 1 parking space ). In case we understand for the transaction, I want the tenant to pay two months in advance and one month as guarantee deposit ( there will be a total of 17.550 SEK ). The guarantee deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the contract. Also regarding this thing we can discuss latter. Regarding the apartment conditions I can tell you that it's fully furnished but can be rented unfurnished also and you can deposit my furniture ( and everything you will not use ) in the building storage area.
Thank you in advance!

Ruben Fredriksson
20 Herbert Road
Eltham London SE18 3QE
United Kingdom
#74407 by Andreasch Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 am
I got the exact same e-mail as you did! I thought it was to good to be true, and when something seems to good to be true it almost always is. If I hadn't googled his name and adress I would probably not know that he was a scam even though I thought his Swedish was to bad to come from a guy who's got Swedish parents even if he' has lived his entire life in england.

Hei,
Mitt namn är Ruben och jag befinner mig i Storbritannien. Först och främst ber jag om ursäkt för att inte skriva p? svenska. Jag vill säga att jag är ursprungligen fr?n Sverige (mina föräldrar är b?da svenska) men jag är född i England och jag har bott här sedan jag föddes. Av denna anledning, jag talar inte svenska mycket bra och jag har mycket sv?rt att uttrycka mig. För fr?gor, vänligen kontakta mig p? engelska (helst) och p? svenska (om du inte talar engelska) och jag ska göra mitt bästa för att beskriva alla detaljer för att du s? tydligt som möjligt.

The apartment that you are interested in, I bought it for holidays in Sweden, in order to explore my Swedish heritage. As I said from the beginning, my parents are originally from Sweden and I love Sweden as a country and also it's landscapes. I have decided to rent the apartment because my financial situation is not so good at this time. I also can not come to Sweden in the near future because I just received a new work contract on the Dunbar Oil platform ( I work as an engineer ) and I will be there for at least 8 months per year. Due to my present situation, I will not be able to use the apartment for at least one year and I have decided that it is better to rent it for an extra income. ( to earn some money ). I really hope to find a good and responsible tenant for the apartment. If you are planning to rent for more then one year, it's not a problem, because I can give it for rent for as long as you need.

I am renting the apartment for 5.850 SEK per month with everything included ( electricity, water, heating, + 1 parking space ). In case we understand for the transaction, I want the tenant to pay two months in advance and one month as guarantee deposit ( there will be a total of 17.550 SEK ). The guarantee deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the contract. Also regarding this thing we can discuss latter. Regarding the apartment conditions I can tell you that it's fully furnished but can be rented unfurnished also and you can deposit my furniture ( and everything you will not use ) in the building storage area.

Thank you in advance!

Ruben Fredriksson
20 Herbert Road
Eltham London SE18 3QE
United Kingdom