Information on romance scams and scammers.
#59204 by takeaction Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 am
This is a warning to all ladies (maybe men?!) out there chatting to military personnel based in Afgahistan/ Iraq etc.

It will all start off with lovey dovey, dreamy e-mails, maybe short phone calls. This can go on for months and the person is pretending to be a soldier/officer based abroad.
My mum fell for this and the man she was chatting to is calling himself Major Chales Brayan. ( She also got e-mails from someone called Col Richard Dixon who pretended to be a friend of the major..) He pretends he is an american, with no no children, based in Kabul. Then he asked for a leave request to visit her. She had to fill out a form and pay money for this. When she had done that he pretended he had got shot and now he will probably ask for money for rehabilitation or something similar.
The e-mail came from an e-mail adress finishing with usa.com which is no official address.

It makes me so angry that someone can use lonely, trusting women like this.

Please be aware of similar scams and DO NOT send money to anyone!
Advertisement

#59278 by Bubbles Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 am
Welcome to ScamWarners takeaction. Your warning is well put.

Please share the email addresses your mom was scammed from and some of the early messages she received. This can help others who might be dealing with the same scammer / email address.

We are pleased tohave all of the information we can get on scammers.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#59400 by stormysws Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:08 pm
I just had a "Lt Col Anthony Herbert" try this one on me. Watch for him. I knew there was an issue when I googled Lt Col Anthony Herbert and he was a dead vietnam war hero!

He only has my personal email and he did manage to get my phone number, do I need to worry about the phone number?
#59426 by Bubbles Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 am
Should not be a problem. Block the number if he calls and do not answer.

They want money from you. The are not going to search you from your phone number.

Welcome and good question. Please be careful who you give your personal information to especially on the internet. If you are not sure, ask here.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.