Information on romance scams and scammers.
#62982 by babynic Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:40 am
Hello. Me too nearly fall for this idiot. Same as allsaints & honeyraiha, got to know him thru match.com. Know him since May 2011. A month into chatting, he already suggesting about marriage. My guts are telling me he is too good to be true until i found this forum today which proves my guts are true and accurate all these while. It is indeed very helpful. Luckily, he didnt ask me for money yet. And he did ask for some weird sexual issue. He is a very selfish guy. When he say he will online, he will be nowhere to be found. And i am being an idiot waited him to get online. When i question him, he said he is busy or too lazy to go online. When u really like a person, you wont do such a thing. And yes, he didnt sms or reply email. And again when i question him, he said he never do sms. He use the mobile only to call and he thinks sms is wasting his time. I called his work place too, just to check on him. And same answer, Midland Marine said no such person. His number i have is d same as posted by allsaints. I cant believe he says all the same thing to us. And earlier, i feel bad of having so much doubts about him coz he really sounds genuine. But well, this is the reality. Should really trust our guts. And luckily we didnt fall deeper. Allsaints, dont need be sad about him. He dont worth your tears. Better to know the truth now than later when things are out of control and falls too deep to pull out.
Advertisement

#63123 by Katharina Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:41 am
It doesn't help blocking their accounts on dating sites. This is what they will do:

1) They will realise that someone has found out and possibly posted a warning somewhere. So they will delete their compromised account - and all the useful details published here will be worthless.

2) They will create a new account with fresh details which aren't published anywhere, so future victims' Google searches will get no hits on scam warning sites and the victims will feel safe to proceed with their "relationship".
#63144 by began steele Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:07 am
YES THEY CAN! Most often they don't come looking but just get on attempting to scam fresh people. They sometimes register here and send a bleating protest that they are innocent and real people, and only misunderstood etc. Nothing Mods and Admins love more than to dish out a good slap to a mugu.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#64169 by anita42 Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm
@Katharina: Are you saying if we see an obvious fake profile on a dating site like Match.com we should not report it to them? I have had five men contact me in the last 2 weeks who were obviously Nigerian and reported it to them and they've removed their profiles. It seems to me they should be figuring these things out. Do you suggest we put it on here instead?
#67697 by teng2 Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:57 pm
Dear babynic and allsaints,

I’m also the victim of this jerk. He claims to meet me in Malaysia on Monday 19-09-2011, but didn’t turn up. I was goggle his emails address till the website directs me to here. And now I realized that I fall into a romance scam. I’m considering lucky coz I don’t send my money to him.
He used the same stories as babynic to cheat me. We met in i-match.com and he asking me to married him after I received his flowers. By that time, I was so surprise becoz we not even meet up yet and only chatting in msn for 1-2months times. He used [email protected] and having same mobile numbers (uk number) as posted by allsaints.
I started having doubt on him whenever I sms and write an email to him but he didn’t reply at all. He only replies twice of my sms and once on the email. And I started question him on that, and he giving same answer as what he gave to babynic.
He told me that he want to visit me and my parents in Malaysia on this Monday. Therefore, I requested him to send his flight literary, so that I can planned the holiday in Malaysia. But instead of confirmation ticket, he sent me the flight schedule time table. That’s why I’m started having doubt with him.

All things were went smooth, till a week before he fly here, his mother asked me to buy gentitude fluid (fluid to purify gold and silver) for her while his son was coming to Malaysia. She gave me a number +01116442237 and asks me to contact a Malay lady coz she can’t speaking English. I was fall into their trap and starting calling that Malay lady, asking about the product, price, delivery time frame etc. Her mother want to purchase 2 dozen gentitude fluid and she claim that the fluid was very cheap in Malaysia (USD 3400 per dozen) compare to UK (which is usd 7000 per dozen)
He requsted me to deposit the money to that lady and he will pass me USD 8400 after reaching kl. That time I still believe him and told him and his mom that maybe Malay lady would be scam, coz the shop is located in Miri, not others branch in east Malaysia and I having a doubt on that malay lady. I suggested bringing him to Miri to have a look on the fluid before purchase and before paying deposit. Started from here, we starting have bad argument. Meanwhile, I’m requesting my Miri’s friend to check on the shop and found out that the shop doesn’t exist at all.

Out of disappointment, I didn’t pick up his call at all. He started threaten me. I was so scare that, every time received his call, I have to switch off my mobile.
Till yesterday, I wrote an email to him. He sent sms to me wt Malaysia line +601116496422 and ask me to call him back. I’m still hesitate whole day whether to call him or not coz the feeling to him was true.
But after I read this forum, I can be sure that he is a scam. Girls, don’t be sad wt this kind of the jerk, he just playing wt our feeling. Hopefully police will catch him one fine day.
#67763 by Bubbles Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 am
anita42 wrote:@Katharina: Are you saying if we see an obvious fake profile on a dating site like Match.com we should not report it to them? I have had five men contact me in the last 2 weeks who were obviously Nigerian and reported it to them and they've removed their profiles. It seems to me they should be figuring these things out. Do you suggest we put it on here instead?

Anita42, it is as Katharina says above. Scammers just create a new account that has to be discovered and reported here. It takes less than 5 minutes to create a new account which we have no information about until someone reports it here.

If the information is reported here anyone searching can find the information if the is not deleted from the dating site. Truthfully scammers know that their profiles are often deleted and they keep records of potential victims.

It seems like it would be possible to delete scammers out of existence, but it does not work that way. We have to warn, and educate people to reduce the harm scammers do.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#67874 by movingforward Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm
I was reading all of the posts on this guy. I was scammed by a different one and already posted about that. However, as I think back now, I think that many of the hits that I received on my profiles were scams. Especially when they talk about the long romantic walks, chocolate dipped strawberries, etc, etc, etc....now I think COME ON....what real guy is REALLY like that???!!! I took my profile off of any internet dating sites. I am joining some community things to meet real people but I am wary of that even. I'm sure that there are real people that are looking to scam not even on the internet. I think what really bothers me is how scammers tout God and religion. They better look out because they will be going down to he** when they die. Or maybe there is a Dante's circle for scammers.
#67880 by anita42 Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 pm
@ movingforward - Your scammer's English seemed very good, from that message you posted. Usually it's much more obvious. All the more reason to never send money to someone you don't know personally, especially through an untraceable source like Money Gram or Western Union. This won't happen to you again, since you know about these people now.
#68554 by allsaints Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:46 am
Dear teng2,
How did he threaten you? I hope that you feel much better now after no more contact with him.

Dear movingforward,
I registered in ChristianMingle.com a few days after my mishap that I wrote earlier but didn't continue to be a member there because of network connection problems. Thank God for that...
I also think that Christian dating site was safer. I joined another Christian dating site then got contacted by scammers there. Luckily the experience gave me clues on how scammers behave usually. :?

Dear anita42,
I read your post on the thread started by movingforward. You are right.
anita42 wrote: I think once we have an experience like this, we can recognize the fake profiles quite easily though. Even if their English is good, there are other things that give it away (even before they ask for money).
Don't feel ashamed. They've done this to a lot of intelligent people. Most of us have never experienced dealing with such low lives and really don't expect it until one of the creatures manipulates us.

I wish we all have a good partner in near future. :)
Don't give up hope, girls..
God bless you!
#68572 by began steele Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 am
Just like to point to the gentitude fluid matter which was genticide fluid before. It doesn't exist in any form at all and is total scammer fiction. I'm stuck for producing other similar words like gentisticle or gentisol fluid which bots will turn up as fake too. I quite like :cry: this variation on the wishy washy scam of buying a fluid to make black dyed banknotes come back to normal and it's actually no different. Scammers seem to have misused talents they aren't using for legit work, and you have to give some credit for inventiveness when they do come up with something really new. And it's up to us people to neutralise the efforts they make.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.