Information on romance scams and scammers.
#65373 by began steele Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:25 am
Nelle its all a scam I am afraid but thankfully you lost no money, Yes you are right about the leave, Please don't tell scammer anything more about what you know. Keep him ignorant. Please don't bait your scanner and try to get more off him, it is best you just vanish completely. He knows too much about you already. It is best that you allow others to deal with him and they probably will do, and waste his time more.
say "my angel", "my love"
Because they are messaging hundreds of people aside from you and never remember which one they are dealing with, so that makes life easy for them.
Poems are normal and also part of their pre-written script. They can save time and churn out hundreds of messages with little thought, which suits them well because they are often just semi literate boys in an internet cafe. But make no mistake either, some of them are very educated and running a scam business.
To get the header and info see BUBBLES Post above, at the bottom.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
Advertisement

#65377 by Aika Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 am
Hello Bubbles :)
great thanks for your warm welcome.
I must honestly say that I was getting messages from my "heart and mind" about something wrong, but I did not want to see it..... Planning to buy a house after one week, planning our future, I was the only one who could help him out form army etc etc... .and also the fact that he gave me e-mail address for US Army and in the reply - no signature, nothing... that was strange...
Fortunately I am fully okay, cried some tears yesterday, as this was really emotional pain but I am good now.
I checked the IP address from the e-mail from "US ARMY" and got the Malaysian IP.... Hard to believe that us army would have the main server in Malaysia.. :o

Well, once again, I am happy that I found this great forum and woke up :)
PS: I deleted his account immediately and he did not come again.
Take care! :)
#65385 by Katharina Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:47 am
Hard to believe that us army would have the main server in Malaysia.. :o

Quite right! :mrgreen: However, there is large community of Nigerian scammers in Malaysia; they have a "student visa".
#65389 by Aika Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 am
Katharina :) yes, that is interesting information.
I just only wonder what "business" can people create.
I am a business woman too and not able to find new utilities :))) (laughing at it now)... and they get it very quickly..... that is bad... really bad...
#65395 by nelle Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 am
Hello began steele and all,

I cant help crying, first for my stupid mind wasting time to these lies, secondly cant believe I told a few friends and so excited about this, so embarrased.It is totally a slap on the face! and Im a profession cant believe I fell for that, shame on me!
But I wanna play him too! I will collect more infroamtion from him and post. I even said I would sent him Iphone5! I think to me the feeling I just cant take right now. Shall I continue hav faith in love online?
#65397 by began steele Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:19 am
Nelle it isn't a good idea to play with him and you will get upset more. Best is just to forget it. Yahoo isn't secure anyway and it's necessary to be safe . You needn't worry he will be played with by someone. We like such deserving cases and leaving them with full hands......

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#65752 by Dotti Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 am
Aika,

As Began said, it's best not to play with a scammer who has your real information. Playing with scammers is called baiting, and it should be done safely and anonymously. You can find more information on why and how we bait safely on our sister site, 419eater.com.

There is a very large number of scammers on almost every dating site out there. If you continue looking for online, you will encounter more scammers--it's pretty much a guarantee. But there are also real people too. Whether you want to continue online dating is really a personal decision--are you willing to deal with the inevitable approaches by more scammers? The most important thing if you do continue looking online is to be alert and educated. Knowing how to recognize scammers, and asking when you are not certain, will help to make online dating a much safer (and hopefully happier) experience.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#65758 by Aika Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 am
Dotti,
thank you very much for a nice information. :)
I was registered at Europeinlove.com - and there I met "my scammer" :) I deleted the account.
You know, sever years ago (and I know it is a pretty long time) I had many many really fine friends on yahoo, with whom I met laters in real. It was really excellent... But now I see that times have changed...
I was just very much wondering about how I felt with this guy.. on one side - I wished to have love, of course, on the other side, I was "receiving information" from my mind. I saw some suspicious things he was telling me. Buying a house together after 3 chats! Oh God! Many many such ones...
Well, we still have to learn and we do. I do for sure :) What I know now is to be careful always. Not to "long for love" but believe that it comes in the best way for me :) That is I believe the problem of most of us - women. :)
Still and again - it is very good that people with experience and knowledge created these websites as a great and excellent support. And I will never stop thanking for this fantastic job! :)So, Now I pray and believe that the information about me will no more be used and misused in any kind of baiting...

I wish a lot of good luck and real love to all of us :)
#65997 by began steele Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:42 am
Buying a house together after 3 chats! Oh God! Many many such ones...

The best way to spot a scammer is their speed. They want undue haste and "fall in love" rapidly . They force rapid decisions without due caution from the victim. Normal folks don't write reams of words in profiles, and don't send reams of words in first messages and include email addresses begging for off site contact. If you get those just put small parts, a sentence or two, into Google and see what comes up. Scammers never write their own original material, they do what they do best- steal it.

#66403 by tck123 Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:09 am
Nelle, I wanted to let you know that [email protected] has been in contact with me. He has said many of the same things but we have only been "IM" for a short time so he hasn't asked me for anything. However, there were discrepancies in his messages that made me cautious. In doing a search, I found your post. I'm sorry - he seemed very nice but I wanted to let you know so you wouldn't be hurt.
#66408 by Bubbles Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 am
Welcome to ScamWarners tck123 and thank you for your words of encouragement. I hope that you have stopped communicating with this scammer. Nothing good can come from remaining in contact with a scammer.

Welcome to ScamWarners Andy Hood and thank you for the confirming words. Please feel free to post scams you come across for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#67081 by elg Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 pm
Hi I also was scammed by a pretend military peronal but they did not get any money from me just an huge dose of stupidty here.
Posed as Edward Graham or Graham Edward and is really Christopher Graham of UTah. This poor kid Chris has had his identity stolen and his family pics to be used to impersonate a soldier in Iraq.
The emails and yahoo id are the same. They are [email protected].
He writes poetry and speaks improper English. I will be happy to fwd any emails or documentation to anyone.
I got the first request after several emails for a satelite phone for $850. and was like cannot afford to pay my own bills if you want to talk to me that bad there is webcam or yahoo voice. Then it was a week later and then I was told of a soldier being killed and it hit him hard and he wanted to home with me now and have me as his family. Then I got the leave form. But one thing I noticed they spelled United States Of America wrong. And the document looked really fake too. And it asked to cover expenses for them to leave...yea right that was a dead give away.
They used 2 military emails these are FAKE: but I want to post them to compare with others
they are:Military Telecoms© <[email protected]>; and the other one is
Military Leave Request© <[email protected]>;
I ran the IP address and one showed up as California and the other showed as Wisconsin.
How can we stop this or just alert more and more people. Is there anything we can do to report it because I have tried but not a lot take this seriously and say it happens all the time. If it weren't for sites like this I would still be clueless. I forgot to add I met this guy on Plenty of Fish online dating site. But I dont remember the name used on there for an ID. He deleted it once we started talking.
Thank you everyone for reading
Add on 9/17/11 here is an example of how he wrote to me:
Mrs Exxxddy,

Everyday I wake up thanking God for you. You have made all my dreams come true, especially now that i find you. You have given me so much love within the short period time i meet you. You have been my guiding light when I was lost. You have been my comforter through all my trials and sorrow. And you have been my rock. There has been so many times when I wanted to give up, and then you gave me hope and faith baby i truly love you and i promise to love you till the end.

I promise to always love you and always hold you in my heart. I will always be here for you when you need me and I will love you no matter what life brings us. You are my soul mate,Exxxx, and I vow to love you until the day that eternity is gone. I love you, baby.

Love Always,

Mr Exxxxx
Last edited by elg on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
#67112 by Justin Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm
Hello elg!
Thanks for posting this information. If it makes you feel any better posting it will help others avoid this scam. It's sad these scumbags are willing to pose as military to steal people's money but this is very common. Posting their information here helps though so please post some of his emails.

Justin

#67141 by began steele Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:12 am
He deleted it once we started talking.

I had an idea that PoF had a more robust approach to scammers in spite of being a large site, and their survival rates aren't good. Scammers will often state they deleted their profile because they "met you ". In fact they got removed when they got busted. I love Mugu speak. An example or two is the term "Met you" or "Nice to meet you". IT'S RUBBISH BECAUSE YOU HAVN'T MET! It's part of the softening up process. It's a good way to spot them.