Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#69541 by Michael Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 am
In this particular case he tried to purchase a car, but the item may vary. The mails posted here will be followed by a fake paypal email. Don't trust him, he's only after your money. Many red flags in those two email alone, the level of english tells me he is a classic african scammer.

Hello Friend,
I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best price for it and when last was it serviced?

Hello Friend,

Thanks for your response,Am okay with your price and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that i live in England but right now am in Astor on the sea and due to my work as a marine engineer,I will not be able to come to view the merchandise or come for the pick up but i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home in England. If possible can you send me some recent picture?,My shipper will be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through PayPal,So do you have a PayPal account for the payment?

Regards

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
Advertisement

#69592 by pjeroke Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm
hi there, I never even heard about this wat of scam....I was selling my motorbike and got a phone message

"from nabaneeta.g...I just saw your add on kapaza.be. is it stil for sale? contact me on [email protected]"
so we send an e-mail...at that time we were not sure what to think but it looked strange..., we told him it is stil for sale..
he then replied;; Hi mate, I have looked at it a few times now, and after looking
> around, I'm satisfied with the great condition but what's your actual
> price for it. I love a bargain, so i would like to get it as soon as i
> can. I would be able to make payment through PayPal, i find it the
> easiest way to use my credit card safely and is a safe and reliable
> method of payment... Let me know your price for it . I hope to hear
> from you soon, and i will make all transportation preparations for the
> it to be transported to my home in London,UK. If possible can you send
> me some recent picture or video of the item ?

we thought we would ask a lot to find out what he would reply and he said

Thanks for your response. 900 euro is a nice and acceptable price. I
will be adding the 3.9% PayPal surcharge to the total amount i will be
paying you. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account
without any delay, and i hope you have a PayPal account.

If you have one already, just send me the address to send it to, which
is the email address you use for it or you can send me a PayPal money
request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the
payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company
after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the
merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company.

Have a nice day

okay; so...i know it is a scam...but can you also tell me what he is after??
I can't figure it out and where do I post this to make sure other people know about this person scamming?
it looked so much like your example that i thought I would tell it here
thanks
Pierrot from belgium
#69609 by Dotti Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:18 pm
but can you also tell me what he is after??

He's after cash. He would send you fake emails that look like they came from paypal. The emails would say that he paid for the item, plus hundreds of dollars extra. They would instruct you to forward the extra money to his "agent," "shipper," or something along those lines, most likely using Western Union or Moneygram. The emails would say that the money is on hold until you have provided proof that this was done.

In reality, he has paid nothing, and anything you send will be your own money. He is using fake names and addresses, and once your money is picked up, it is gone forever.

Any time you receive a suspicious email from paypal, you should forward it to [email protected] for evaluation. They will tell you if it really came from them, and they will also take care of any fake websites if the scammer uses them.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#69708 by pjeroke Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 am
thank you so much for explaining...i think I get it now. How far do some people go to scam...should I email that person again and react in any way? or just let it alone and leave it to this...I will mail this to paypal as you told me...thanks for your insight!
#69850 by aynot77 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm
"He" is at it again, Same name but a different email.

Jason Cotwell - [email protected]

Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks
#71636 by TorontoGirl Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 am
"Jason Cotwell" is still at it. Just made some small modifications to his email

from Jason Cotwell [email protected]
Thanks for getting back to me, can you assure me that it's in perfect condition and i will not be disappointed buying this from you. I'm ready to pay your asking price now but I'm not in state to complete the purchase myself, I'm offshore at work right now.
I just contacted an Agent that will help me handle the pick up and the title transfer, I cannot come for the pick up due to the nature of my work, but the agent will help me handle the pick up and also transfer the title when all the payment has been cleared because the all funds will be send to you via my VERIFIED PayPal account, I will need the address where the agent will meet you for the checking and for the pick up also. i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com

I will also like to see more pics, get back to me with your PayPal email address so i can send the money to you now, don't forget to get back to me with your phone number and your PayPal email address.

Thanks
#72230 by TorontoGirl Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 pm
Here's his response to my car ad:

Hello, I'm kevin and i came accross your contact details through web directory concerning the ITEM you have for sale and im highly interested in purchasing it . I will like to know all the details about theITEM before proceeding with the payment..... 1. How long have you owned it? 2. Why are you selling it? 3. Last Price? So your swift response to these required information would be highly entertained before proceeding to the next stage, the method of payment is Cheque. Kindly email back, if it's still forsale. Hope to hear from you Asap. Regards kevin
#72231 by TorontoGirl Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 pm
Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a Birthday
gift for my Dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine
engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and
visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check
this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be
a surprise for My Dad so i wont let him know anything about it until
it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with
it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank
account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my
paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you
to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the
payments asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it
is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after
you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for
registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick
up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the
payments...Thanks!!!
#72241 by Bubbles Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:21 am
TorontoGirl, that is the reply script from a scammer. I hope you have heeded what Dotti wrote above.

Drop all communication with this person, they are a scammer and all that will happen is you will lose money.

Don't tell them anything, just stop responding to them.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#164945 by lynch77 Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm
This one is still making the rounds, we got emails today looking to buy our car, we are in ireland he claimed to be from USA a marine engineer stationed in astor??? New name and email though! Conversation went as follows;

Patrick Rane <[email protected]>

>02 VW Passat 1.6
The car is still currently for sale.
Thanks,
XXXxxxx.

Hello Friend,
I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise
and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best
price for it and when last was it serviced?

>I have owned it for 7 years.It has a full service history but does need a service at the moment.My best price would b 1000 euros.

Hello Friend,

Thanks for your response,Am ok with your price and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that i live in USA.but right now am in Astor on the sea and due to my work as a marine engineer,I will not be able to come to view the merchandise or come for the pick up but i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home in USA. If possible can you send me some recent picture?,My shipper will be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through PayPal,So do you have a PayPal account for the payment?.

Regards...

>Hello "Friend",
This is Xxxxxx wife. Thank you for your interest in purchasing our "merchandise" or car as I prefer to call it. Unfortunately as you live over seas it will not be possible for us to complete the sale due to the fact you are not available to sign the paperwork for the change of ownership, this is a necessary requirement. Secondly I do not believe it would be cost effective for you to ship the car to the USA for genuine purpose. Thirdly we will not deal through a third party. Lastly we do not accept Paypal payments, we are looking for a local buyer with cash available. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes you, hope you find what you are looking for closer to home.
Sincerely,
Xxxxxxxx.

Fortunately the red flag raised straight away and i knew this one was up to no good so called the bluff straight away. A bit of searching over the internet and i came across this site which confirmed my suspicions. So I have reported the scally to the site where my car is advertised hopefully they will warn others. Thought I would leave my story to let you know this one is still circulating...
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information and added quotation for clarity.
#164959 by Bryon Williams Thu May 09, 2013 7:33 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners lynch77,

Thank you for posting the script and email the scammer used. It will surely help others.

This is the best practice and some great advice to others.
Lastly we do not accept Paypal payments, we are looking for a local buyer with cash available

I also removed some of your personal information from your post. I do not want your names to be searchable and found here.
Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#167748 by jonny2910 Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:11 pm
Thank you to Lynch77.
A friend of mine just rang me, he is selling a motorcyle in Ireland and [email protected] got in touch with him via email and the same excuses as above were mentioned and the usual paypal carry-on.
I just joined to help warn others and to say thanks to Lynch77 and all the people who keep this site going, keep up the good work!
#168723 by nicolasdanut Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:31 am
Hello !!!

I don't speak English very good ,but I want to see you , this .

Re: bike Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
To: Dana
Hello Friend,
I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise
and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best
price for it and when last was it serviced?
On 6/12/13, Dana

To: [email protected]
Hello !
She has used -20h ; only in my plane backyard and i am first owner (july 2010) .
ps...what is your nationality ?

To: Dana
Hello Friend,
Thanks for your response,Am ok with your price and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that i live in USA but right now am in Astor on the sea and due to my work as a marine engineer,I will not be able to come to view the merchandise or come for the pick up but i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home in USA.If possible can you send me some recent picture?,My shipper will be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through PayPal,So do you have a PayPal account for the payment?.
Regards...

To: [email protected]
Upsss.... I am a jurist-lawyer and i "smell" something else . Je ne suis pas interesse. That's all there is to it .