Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#6843 by arkansaslawyer Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:12 pm
I just received a check in the amount of $385,000 on a Citibank "Official Check." The emails that I have received fit this scam exactly. Here is the most pertinent info:

Name of Asia company: Matila Manufacturing Pte Ltd
Contact name: Patrick Chan
email: [email protected]
Bank: Citibank
Amount: $385,000
Debtor American Company: Eagle Power Equipment, Attn: Paul Gettel, 2211 N Dupont Hwy., New Castle, DE 19720, tel: 1-302-380-3705

I called the number and told "Paul Gettel" to go F*$@% himself. The real Eagle Power Equipment has never heard of a Matila Manufacturing, although the website looks very real.

Also, the check was mailed to me from Paul Owen, 3310 South Service Road, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N3M6, 289-888-2348

Any thoughts on what to do with the Check (other than tear it up)?
Advertisement

#6848 by bill_b3llo Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 pm
Keep everything. I'll PM you my email address and will hopefully steer you in the right direction.

The number 289-888-2348 is registered with Fido Solutions, a disposable prepaid cell phone that is a favorite among scammers.

302-380-3705 is a real Delaware number that needs some research.

Could you post the website for Matila so we can check it out?

Bill

Write me at scamspook at gmail.com
#6858 by italhero4 Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:27 pm
I received an e-mail from a PJ Martins saying he owns a textile company and he needed me to do collections for his company. He said to collect 10% and send the rest over to him. Now this sounds like what everyone here is talking about. However, there are some differences that I would like cleared up:

- Usually this targets law firms, but I am not involved in any way with a law firm. Are they targeting anyone now?

- He said that if I have an RBC account, everything will be deposited through direct deposit. If money is directly deposited, then how can there be fraud on it? I understand the fraud scenario with the fake cheques, but if it's direct deposit then there are no cheques involved.

- I saw in another post the name Jeff Lawson with the same number. He is the associate that PJ Martins assigned to talk to me. He called me from a New York number but left me a message asking me to call him from that 647 (Toronto) number that was posted here earlier.

I am obviously assuming this is a scam since I have seen so many on the net already. I am just curious mostly about the direct deposit thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Regards,

JF.
#6859 by Jillian Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm
Hi italhero4,

What you're describing seems to be an employment scam, also known as a company representative scam. While this thread is regarding targeting law firms, the employment scams are quite widespread.

You seem to be very familiar with how the check scams work, good for you. The direct deposit scams work similarly, using something known as account flashing. It is explained in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24&start=0&hilit=account+flashing

Flashing – this can happen in one of two ways, but basically involves the scammer trying to convince the victim that money has arrived in the victim’s bank account to stay, when really it is only paying a passing visit. The first way is when the scammer tells the victim he is making a direct transfer into the account using cash or a cashier’s check or some other secure payment method. The victim will see the proceeds in a couple of days, but actually the scammer has paid in a fake check, and the bank will eventually realise and debit the account again, leaving the victim out of pocket if he has sent on the proceeds. Essentially, it is like the basic check scam (see here but with the scammer depositing the check instead of the victim. The other method requires the scammer to have access to a hijacked merchant account for credit card usage. These are the kinds of accounts any store or shop has, which enable them to make credits and debits to a credit card account with the card owner’s permission, of course. If a scammer has one, he can make a credit into the victim’s bank account with the merchant account, tell the victim the money is there, and later, when he’s got the goods or cashback he was after, debit the account again.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#6860 by Arnold Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 pm
italhero4 wrote: Usually this targets law firms, but I am not involved in any way with a law firm. Are they targeting anyone now?

Possibly, or you might have received it by mistake. There is one scam aimed at hotel owners that has been sent to people not in that business.
If money is directly deposited, then how can there be fraud on it?

Quite easily. The transfer is from the account of a victim of a bank phishing fraud. Phishers can't just transfer funds to their own account as bank transfers are easily traced and reversed. So they recruit mules to receive them and pass them on via Western Union.
As with dud cheques, the mule is left out of pocket, and possibly facing criminal proceedings for money laundering..

#6869 by bill_b3llo Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:20 pm
Could the site killer crew check out the Matila website and kill as needed? It looks bogus to me, but it's been registered longer than most scam websites exist. This isn't my field, but there are no issues involved with killing it. :wink:

@italhero4 These scammers often purchase email address lists for target groups, eg lawyers or hotels, from dubious direct marketing companies. The product provided is often inflated with whatever addresses needed to meet the number required by the customer. It's not unusual for these scam letters to reach the unintended, and the spam companies offer no refunds, so the scammers have nothing to lose by spamming them all.

Mr Tambourine Man is dead on, there are a number of ways to flash an account. There are also countries that take a blind eye to bank employees who carry out these fraudulent transfers. (for a bribe)
Last edited by bill_b3llo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#6870 by Jillian Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 pm
The Matila site has been posted in the Fake Bank forum at 419Eater for research and reporting to the host.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

#6872 by Jillian Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:16 pm
italhero4,

If you have an email from the Matila domain, please post it here or send it to me in private message. Thank you. :D

#6876 by Bill3 Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm
Hello Bill B3llo, nice to see you again. I know, I didn't look in the right places :D

Jillian, can't find the listing in aa419, but will make the time to research this one for a kill if you put me on the right track here (as usual :wink: )
Thanks

only expressing my opinion, not handicapped by any knowledge what so ever, I've been scammed myself, but that's it.Think people!Anyone can be scammed, over the Internet or at the car dealers, there's no shame in that.
#6986 by bill_b3llo Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Wonderful to see you again Bill, I know that fish hook anywhere. :D You've done some outstanding work!

I'll see what I can dig up on that Matila website.

#6987 by Bill3 Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:52 pm
:oops: just hanging around my friend, just hanging.
Matila is not responsive to several different ASEM's from different addy's so I'm at the end of my line here or they're just slow as money must be pouring in like rain. Hoping for the best, keep you posted on progress here or the eater side and a PM here.
:beer:

only expressing my opinion, not handicapped by any knowledge what so ever, I've been scammed myself, but that's it.Think people!Anyone can be scammed, over the Internet or at the car dealers, there's no shame in that.
#6996 by Sinecure Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 am
Here's a copy of the email I received:

Name: Patrick Chan
Email: [email protected]
Company:
Street Address:
City, State, Zip:
Phone Number:

I have previously sent you an email; please confirm the receipt of this mail due to the urgency of this matter. If you are not in position to represent us at the moment kindly advice immediately.
After a careful review, we decided to contact you to represent our Company in North America. Matila Manufacturing Pte Ltd is a Manufacturing company in Asia

We would require your legal representation for our North American delinquent Customers. We are of the opinion that a reputable attorney is required to represent us in North America in order for us to recover monies due to our organization by overseas customers, and as well follow up with these accounts. In order to achieve these objectives a good and reputable law firm like yours will be required to handle this service. We understand that a proper Attorney Client agreement must be entered into by both parties.
This will be done immediately we receive your letter of acceptance.
Awaiting Response.

Thanks,

Patrick Chan
+65 6211-2116,
Email: [email protected]
#7013 by Jillian Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:12 pm
Hi Sinecure, thank you for posting that email.
:D