Information on romance scams and scammers.
#49207 by paechr000 Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:47 pm
Hi everyone! I am hoping to get some additional help regarding a possible scam attempt that a family member is falling victim to. This family member had a profile on match.com and was contacted by a General James E. Cartwright. The family member kept the contact secret for several months until finally revealing to us that they had been talking with this gentleman. Highly skeptical, I did some research regarding James E. Cartwright. If you do a quick google, you will learn he is the 2nd highest ranking Military official in the US.

Long story short, this individual has spent time communicating with a family member of mine. I know that this is headed in the wrong direction. The family has tried conveying to this family member the dangers of this situation, however, they continue the contact. I have gone as far as to contact the local police department to warn this family member of the possible dangers. A little over a year ago this person lost their spouse so is extremely vulnerable.

I am looking for any advice that anyone may have regarding how to put an end to this contact. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement

#49210 by Bubbles Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners paechr000 . This certainly <strike>sounds like</strike> is a scam. [I changed this based on the discovery of the General's wife.]

Is your relative communicating by email?
If they are, I would encourage you to get the Headers and analyze them using http://www.iptrackeronline.com/ or some other IP tracker. This can tell you where the person is emailing you from in many instances. There are a few email providers who don't give IP address locations.

I did a little checking and James E. Cartwright is married to Sandee. Show your relative this website: http://www.muckety.com/James-E-Cartwright/28484.muckety
James E. Cartwright

James E. Cartwright personal relations:
Sandee Cartwright - spouse

Other current James E. Cartwright relationships:
Joint Chiefs of Staff - vice chairman

James E. Cartwright past relationships:
U.S. Strategic Command - commander
White House state dinner (11/24/2009) - invited guest

The US military would look real poorly on a married General lurking on match making sites. :shock:

Edited to add: As of July 2010 they were married.
caption on picture wrote:Sandee Cartwright, wife of Gen. James Cartwright Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, joins Elaine Rogers and Cheryl Laaker Hall, of USO of Metropolitan Washington, during a Pentagon care package event on July 2, 2010. (USO Photo by Mike Theiler) http://blog.uso.org/tag/care-packages/

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#49212 by paechr000 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:33 pm
Hi Bubbles. Thank you for the welcome and the additional information. Unfortunately I am not able to gain access to the original emails through a web browser. The family member that is doing the communicating used another's phone to access their email once and now each new message is sent to this person's phone. I haven't found a way to view the header through the phone so I've been having her forward me any emails that she gets to her phone from this person. I think between the information I have already found, and the information you have shared with me, we're making progress.

This whole scam is pretty ridiculous how these people carry this out. "James" has now shared his "son's" email address with my family member and now my family member is communicating with his son now as well. However, when James was asked for photos of his family, including his son, he was unable to provide any because of "security." I pointed out to my family member that if it truly was because of security, it doesn't make sense that he would share his son's email address.

I'm really hoping that with all of the research I have done and all of my findings she will come around eventually. If anyone else has any additional suggestions or ideas, that would be great.

**edit: I have gotten the original impersonator's email address as well as his "son". James' email is [email protected] Michael or his "sons" email is [email protected]. I was also able to get a copy of one email that was sent from Michael if anyone would like me to post that, I definitely can.
#49218 by Helen Halper Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 am
Hi paechr000!
How wonderful that you are looking out for your family member! It may be hard for them now but I'm sure that there will come a time that they will appreciate your efforts to help keep them safe.
Please do post a copy of the email, and if it hasn't been forwarded, please get the headers as well.

#49270 by paechr000 Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm
Hi there! Thank you both for the support and help. We had a major break through today. The family member had an appointment with her grief counselor and I offered to go so I could hopefully clear things up. The appointment went well. After the appointment this family member allowed me to delete Yahoo messenger from her computer and block the two email addresses that "Michael" and "James" were using. Below is one of the emails from Michael. I will try and get access to more emails so I can post them here.

Hi Ms XXXX,

Hope you are doing great? Dad told me about you and I know he's got so much
affection for you, I love reading a lot most especially Motivational books, as
it give me more inspiration and motivation to go through everyday Life, I go
swimming weekends, also love to watch football matches when I'm Leisure, that's
part of my Hobby, Though. I live alone and have no family of mine yet, when the
time is right I'll start up my Family too. I work and live in the United Kingdom
as a Geologist, Dad must have told you about that, Its a bit tough in that field
but I comprehend it so well. I've been trained as comprehending to every
situation or circumstances life brings. I'm working on a project in Nigeria and
it involves drilling of crude oil.
My aim is to set international standards and backups to provide reliable and
efficient solution to energy supply in Africa to quality desiring organizations,
companies and industries in the World. Also to be the spearheading innovation
in the industry, by using range of technologies and skills to explore Oil and
gas in such a way so as to reduce risk of error. This as a result, will earn me
a leading position in the industry on the basis of major discoveries.
Information from field geology, satellite remote sensing, seismic and other
technologies will be used to access areas that contain Hydrocarbons, my virtual
reality centers will help interpret results from seismic survey in the most
accurate and reliable ways possible.
I know this will be a big challenge and we're bound to face challenges in Life,
its only Glorious when challenges are been handled with integrity, intellects
and above all, the fear and passion of God, With God on my side I know the sky
will be my starting point.
Don't want to get you bored, I will say, my objectives for now is getting an
export license for
i. Natural gas
ii. Crude oil
iii. Light crude oil
iv. Liquefied Natural gas.

Enough for now, I hope this e-mail finds you in good spirit. Take good care of
yourself and God bless.

Michael.
#49291 by Bubbles Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm
paechr000 , the break through is GREAT news. Thank you for keeping us informed as to the progress. Hopefully no money has been sent to the scammer.

It really makes me mad :evil: that scammers take advantage of people when they are most vulnerable. I am glad you are helping get through this.

#50418 by writer24 Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 am
]Dear Peach. Here is something to share - I have been scammed by this same person AT THE SAME TIME your family member has. He started writing to me in November 2010 and is still sending me stuff though IM. He has just recently been asking for money 20K for Michael's project. OMG, I turned him down, you better check and make sure your family member is okay. He will go to the nearest well to get the funds. I had noone to keep me safe, just lucky I found this site. So keep her safe. Theses people are scum, she does not need any more hurt and he will hurt her. Trust me, my heart is broken, but I will survive! :shock:
#50424 by Bubbles Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 am
Thank you for your post and encouragement writer24. You are correct, scammers will go to as many wells as possible to steal money.

If you still have any emails from your encounter with this scammer, please post them so someone else can find them too.

I like the attitude that you will survive and grow from this experience. We are glad you found us!

#50499 by virginiawoolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Hi everyone,
I am from Austria. This "General" contacted me via skype 2 month ago, saying he would like to have a friend. I never answer to such requests, but this time I was stupid enough. I soon found out that he could never be the real general, a quick google research showed that all personal details were false. He never answered my questions but wrote some romantic stuff, could not present any pictures and so. Also he pretendet to be in Afghanistan, the real general was always in Washington.
So I made and end to it and wrote, he should not dare to chat again on skype or write me emails. And he stopped it.
Would it help if I told you the skype name and e-mail address he used?
Best regards and let's hope, one will find this individual and go after him.
#50526 by Bubbles Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:30 am
Welcome to ScamWarners virginiawoolf , it is great that you recognized the scam and did not send any money.

Yes, please post the email and Skype the scammer used. Some people search to see if they are working with a scammer by the email address or other contact information.

#70888 by Goldiefox4044 Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 pm
I have been a victim of General James Cartright and have been yahoo messengering me for one week now.It became weird when he couldn't talk about things because he was in AFGAHNastan?I went to google and read everything and all the papers says he is in Washington and never beenn on the front line?Then In read your articles and HOSS told me his son was in the Marines.Your articles said that he was on MATCH.com and included his son Michael who says he is in England?You article also said he was married to Sandee and he said he was divorced for 2 years?
Help me to understand how they can get away with this and what can I do to catch this bastard!he has asked me for no money so far!
#70897 by Bubbles Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Goldiefox4044. It is good that you found this is a scammer. There is really noting you can do to "catch" the scammer. He is in a country different from yours and the police do not really pursue international crime of this nature. They have bigger things to do.

Scammers get away with this because many people do not check the "facts" the scammer presents. Scammers just make up the details to draw the victim in to the trap.

Just stop all communication with the scammer. Don't tell him you know he is a scammer. Just stop communicating with him. That is the best thing you can do. We are glad to have you here.

#70948 by began steele Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:38 am
I am a professional Geologist and you can find the letter text here. The lying dog has little or no knowledge of what it is talking about. It misses the point on what a Geologist does.
I will say, my objectives for now is getting an
export license for
i. Natural gas
ii. Crude oil
iii. Light crude oil
iv. Liquefied Natural gas.

http://tinyurl.com/3velbzl
Shell has been spearheading innovation in the industry for as long as we have been in business. We use a range of technologies and skills to explore for oil and gas in ways that reduce the risk of error. As a result, Shell occupies a leading position in the industry on the basis of major discoveries, resources added and new business generated. We assess areas that could contain hydrocarbons using information from field geology, satellite, remote sensing, seismic and other technologies. Our virtual reality centres help us interpret results from seismic surveys in the most accurate and reliable way possible.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#333971 by Annawolf2002 Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm
Goldiefox4044 wrote:I have been a victim of General James Cartright and have been yahoo messengering me for one week now.It became weird when he couldn't talk about things because he was in AFGAHNastan?I went to google and read everything and all the papers says he is in Washington and never beenn on the front line?Then In read your articles and HOSS told me his son was in the Marines.Your articles said that he was on MATCH.com and included his son Michael who says he is in England?You article also said he was married to Sandee and he said he was divorced for 2 years?
Help me to understand how they can get away with this and what can I do to catch this bastard!he has asked me for no money so far!

I almost fell victim to this as well. Here recently. Says he is in Syria due to some OMG top secret contract he was given. Asked me to pay out 750 bucks to bring him home early. Oh and apparently has a son out fending for himself that is about to turn 16. Promising me he would pay me back once home with me. First I'm married, second the photo of said son was of a kid that looked 10 or 11 not 15 going on 16, thirdly that 750 is needed to pay my family bills ((we don't have it to begin with))
Things didn't add up. I did my research and listened to my gut instinct. Trouble follows this guy, please becareful if you choose to not ignore. He is a smooth talker, assured me just wanted be friends. Thank God I listened to my guts on this. Who knows what kind of trouble I would have been in, or who would have been let into the country with that money.
#333972 by Bryon Williams Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 pm
Please post a couple of his initial email to you, Remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Also post his email address/phone numbers and user name on the site he found you on.

This will help other women avoid his scams.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/