Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#75434 by Dotti Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:59 am
Thank you for posting this information Ardmina. These are typical of photos used by scammers pretending to be soldiers, and having them posted may help other victims who are in doubt. Could you post the email address(es) associated with these pictures?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#76080 by shortwings1 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 pm
my story is very similiar and his story was very similiar. His name this time was Charles Woodman from NJ. He also called himself Isaac Tony or Emmanuel . I got him to confess and admit his name was Nicholas (maybe.) He is in Ghana he says. Will say he wants to talk to you on Messenger and joined Seniormeet as Charles. His email was [email protected] or at Seniormeet as Armymann or mrwood. He made the mistake of sending my sister who was supposed to be talking to his best friend the same letter he sent me. That was funny. Any way, he spells badly and speaks broken english. Beware!!!
#76084 by Dotti Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 am
Welcome, and I'm glad you caught on pretty quickly.

I got him to confess and admit his name was Nicholas (maybe.)

That is a perfect example of a typical scammer. His "confession" is simply another set of lies. Nicholas is Greek in origin. While it is a name that would be normal for America or Europe, it is not a name that would be used in Ghana. This is what Ghanaian names look like: http://www.babynology.com/ghana_babynames.html

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#84320 by Tunderlilla Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 am
These images were sent to me by someone pretending to be a soldier (Michael Roquemore) deployed in Afghanistan. He even sent me a pic of his daughter (Danielle). It's a scam.

#85867 by Broken2Pieces Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 pm
Hi, I recieved a message on one of the dating sites. I have been scamed before so when I saw a militar pic. i knew i had to check. The pic, i got i saw it right here also. So, i'm woundering if and who i should report this to. I am taking him off messenger right now.
#85892 by Bubbles Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Broken2Pieces. There is no official place to report scammers. Scammers hide behind faked email addresses and stolen photos. The police do not typically investigate crimes from overseas. The scammer does not live or work where he claims to. You do not have any real information on the scammer, just what he has told you in his lies.

You have done the best thing you can by posting information here so others can be warned. If you have different or additional information, please post it here.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#86054 by liveandlearn42 Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:36 pm
Hi, I just spent 9 days being scammed by someone I met on OkCupid using these images. He said he was a widowed Marine from Oak Park, IL currently posted in Marjah, Afghanistan with the 1/6. He used 2 email addresses the first was [email protected] (yes, it was spelled partick) the second and most recent was [email protected]. I've reported it to OkCupid but so far the profile is still active. OkCupid Profile name is Patrick101645. He got very angry when I asked why I couldn't find him on any internet search and even once I let him know that he was busted he continued to try and contact me for a few days.

Last edited by liveandlearn42 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
#86063 by Bubbles Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am
Welcome to ScamWarners liveandlearn42 and thank you for posting this information. Scammers always get angry when they are challenged. They see that they are probably losing a victim to take money from. It think they know people often give in to anger.

It is most people's reaction to report and try to close the account the scammer is using. This doesn't actually hurt the scammer for much more than acouple of minutes. They just open another account with the same or a different name. The story stays the same.

The best thing we can do is expose them like you just have. I am glad you didn't get scammed.

I hope you understand that the person in the photos is NOT the scammer. A scammer has lifted the photos from some online social site and is using them to trick their victims. Your best course of action is to stop all communications with the scammer. Just disappear and leave him wondering where you went.

#86125 by liveandlearn42 Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am
Hi Bubbles, thank you and yes, I know he wasn't the guy in the pictures. I fixed the pictures to read fake instead of scammer to avoid any confusion. Unfortunately I did confront him before I found this site but once I stopped responding he did go away.
#86243 by Bubbles Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am
I am glad you found us and hope you will help expose more scammers. Thank you for changing the watermark. That is more accurate. I didn't "expect" you to do that, but if the victim of the photos were to come across the photos, they might have objected, so thank you!

#87980 by hikergirlwny Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 am
So, I am one of the recent people to be hit with this scam!

His details: Maj Mathew Mason, Stationed in Kabul Afghanistan as Army intel. Claims he is divorced, lives in LA but has a son named Henry in Tx who lives with grandparents. He contacted me on peoplefishing.com as mattmason07, his Yahoo! Id is Mathewmason08 and his email is [email protected]. At this point all he knows is my first name and a made up last one because my warning bells were going off.

We've only been talking for a few days. I knew something was fishy when he asked me for my address to have a friend ship an Ipad to me and then I'd send it on to him. I told him I was willing to pick up the Ipad at the local Apple store for him and then send it along. Never heard any more about it after I passed along the info for the local Apple store.

Then came the "help me get leave" part. I'm the child of a retired Air Force CMSGt and the sister/sister in law of two Air Force officers. So I knew something was off right away. I have had several friends be deployed in the Middle East and all of them got 2 week leave around the 7-8 month mark. This is standard and the military pays for most, if not all of the travel expenses and arranges everything.

So, with my spider-sense just a-tingling, I contact my brother in law and he tells me to write this back to him:

My brother-in-law put me in touch with the 101st S1 at Fort Sam Houston and they are sending me a DA31 to request leave for you. However, I need your full name, date of birth, social security number, number of leave days you have accrued so far, your commanding officers name and rank, and your @us.army.mil email address to complete the forms. I was told I can't do anything without that information.

I also asked for a valid shipping address. Because everything for Overseas goes to a APO - NY processing facility first.

Also, his pictures just don't add up right. The guy looks similar in all three, but there are just enough differences to make you go "Hmmm." Also, his style of talking changes email to email and the times that we chat. Sometimes its proper English with punctuation and other times its as though a middle school kid who is in the OMG WTF stage is at the keys.

Hope this helps someone!

I'll post the pictures momentarily.