If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#5952 by judio35 Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:55 pm
This person used to be a pet scammer and is now preying on teachers and tutors. He wants to send you fake checks for his "daughter's tutoring" and then have you send the difference.

Here is an example of his email.

The scammer is named Duane Saunders. Here are two emails he has tried. He says he wants to buy a puppy or

Has a daughter named Tiffany and wants to pay for tutoring lessons.

Here is the email. [email protected]

Here is an example of the email

Hello

Thanks for your email and Yes Tiffany will be coming along with her study books and materials but you can also go ahead and bring any that you think will be helpful and i'm glad to know you can tutor her right there in my sister's home. Well i spoke to my husband about your rates and he's just as excited as i am about having you tutor Tiffany.

I want you to know that my daughter initially had a teacher whom we hired for her lessons but the teacher apparently lost his wife and he decided to quit teaching to take proper care of his Family, after we had paid him upfront for 2 months, but he has long agreed to have the payment forwarded to any alternative teacher that will be handling Tiffany for the lessons.

The payment you will be receiving will be in the amount of $2,500,i'll need you to have the total costs for the lessons deducted as agreed($720) and have what's left sent out to my travel agent via Money Gram as they will be handling my daughter's visa procurement/travel documents,BTA as this is also required as proof of funds by the American embassy upon her arrival at the airport.

Have an enjoyable weekend and be in touch.Anyday of the week you choose for the lessons works just fine as Tiffany's schedule is fully open for now Let me know your thoughts and hopefully we can proceed.My sister found your resume while searching the web for a reputable tutor for Tiffany.

USA.

Regards,

Duane Sanders

Thanks.
Advertisement

#7806 by sr180584 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 am
I was sent an email by this Duane Sanders 1/19/09 about dance classes for "HER" daughter. Me. being a starving artist and needed tudoring experience jumped on at and responded. I however did not think about checking out the email addressuntil much later. after 14 email from this so called "Her" I started to wonder because they wouldn't ever give me a direct answer to when might the daughter be coming over so I can clear my calender and so forth.
This past week I was sent a letter containing two Money Gram Money orders in the amount of $1000 each! I was wondering why this was done because they could have sent me one for my fees and just sent the other to the "travel agent" in New Jersey... haha. I then emailed Duane simply asking why that was not done and they got testy. Saying they had already explained what that was for and what i supposed to do with it. I was thinking that I know "Kent, UK" is as sophisticated in the money order business as the USA is so why not just split in the easiest form.
So I went to the bank and fortunetly my bank, Wachovia, caught it because it wouldn't scan and the circle on the bottom to authenticate would not perform properly when rubbed. AND we called money gram and the numbers on them did nt exist to them. SOOOOO. i'm sure you can guess: I had been duped but am not a victum!

When and if your money gram/money orders do scan the money processing in you're account will bounce and you'll be responsible for the unnsufficient funds fees and whatever else they decide to ask you to do. When and hopefully it won't happen, this does occure call you local police and reportit immediatly. I called right after the bank but since I wasnot a victum I was calling for suggestions on what to do with the pieces of paper. The officer said to make a fire with them!

So be wise. If you get an email that i tooo good to be true search the email address before you do anything. and if its legit and you get and address to send stuff to search that one too. Mine did not exist. I later sent an email back to this Duane Sanders and told him all what Ihad found out about this so called tudoring and such. I don't expect anything else from them.

Happy Emailing
#7807 by Dan Jones Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 am
Good work that bank.
I'm glad to see you've learnt from this without having to lose money.
You might want to read up on the other types of scam you will probably receive.
#9385 by weidman Sat May 02, 2009 3:08 pm
I live in the Boston area of Massachusetts and received an email from Duane Sanders.

I am a math/science tutor, and I met an English tutor, so that we can give each other referrals. She received this email:

On May 1, 2009, at 4:42 AM, Duane Sanders wrote:

> Good Morning,
> How are you doing today?My husband and I are searching for a qualified Math/Algebra1 tutor for our 15yr old daughter Tiffany,.If you are qialified and available,kindly get back to me and hopefully an arrangement can be duly made.
> Regards,
> Duane.
>

My friend gave them my contact information, and I received this email:

from Duane Sanders <[email protected]>
date Sat, May 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM
subject Math/Algebra1 Tutor Needed.
signed-by yahoo.co.uk
6:34 AM (8 hours ago)

Hello Daniel,
How are you doing today?I got your email from Michelle who asked me to contact you as my husband and i are looking for a qualified Math/Algebra 1 tutor for our 15yr old daughter Tiffany.If you are available Daniel,kindly get back to me and also let me know what state/city you reside.
Regards,
Duane.

Here were my clues that made me uneasy, no one of which would be cause for alarm, but, taken together, made me suspicious.

* The spelling was atrocious, and might be ok from immigrant parents, but the email address clearly showed a thorough knowledge of American/British culture.
* The email address revealed nothing personal. My email address, for example, is my name.
* The email time stamps were incredibly early morning hours, although might be ok from hard working parents.
* The email address was foreign, although might be ok if there were a problem while signing up for the yahoo email account.
* Duane would be a very unusual name for a person who has a husband.
* Also, my friend's tutoring marketing materials are the best that I've seen for any individual tutor anywhere any time, and while someone might ask her for a referral to someone like me, it seems unlikely that an intelligent (even if foreign, and poor typist) would ask her if she is qualified at algebra. She is clearly an English/reading/writing tutor.

Their email to me asked me where I was located, and would, no doubt, be followed up with a story about their child visiting nearby.

Beware.

Daniel
#9386 by The Enchantress Sat May 02, 2009 3:37 pm
Good post weidman. A definite scam. Glad you realised and that your information will alert others.

This search click here shows many examples of this scammer.

Including this one;

Last week I received an email inquiry regarding private lessons for Ballet and Hip Hop for "Tiffany, 15 year old from Kent, England". Her "parents" sent me several emails requesting cost for lessons and explaining the details of the lessons "at her aunt's house in downtown Ft. lauderdale over the next three weeks while she is here on vacation". The emails seemed harmless and legitimate until they requested me to accept a great deal more than I requested for the lessons, and then remit the balance to their "travel agent for Tiffany's travel and visa into the states". This caught my attention and I immediately thought everyone in our community should know about this type of scam to avoid anyone falling for it. They asked me for my full name, phone number and address to mail the check.

The email address this came from is Duane Sanders [email protected]

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.