Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#79947 by hansel2011 Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 am
Hi,
I have received a suspicious email recently on an item I have put up on sale both on ebay and my blog.

1st Email :
"Hello i am Mr Emam Martins from United State Of America,how are you today and how are your families ? hope all is good ? well i am interested in buying the item for my daughter who is in United Kingdom (EUROPE), because it my daughter that need it and i hope she would like it , so kindly get to me with the total cost of the item including the shipping cost to her address, i will prefer the shipment through Post Office because it is more cheaper and safer,i will be making the payment through either PayPal or Bank Transfer.I await your response as soon as possible.

Thanks and have a blessed
day "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the 2nd email after I replied on the total amount of the item:

"Hello am happy to tell you that I have made the payment into your paypal account,kindly check your email both inbox,spam and junk email for the payment confirmation from paypal what you have to do now is that you get the item shipped and send the Shipment receipt and Tracking Number to paypal for verification and after paypal verify the Shipment the money will be fully credit into your account thanks reply asap.."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the same time, I have received payment confirmation below from Paypal, but the Paypal address seems weird :
[email protected] <[email protected]>

"Dear Valued Customer,
This message is originated from paypal company. We have received an order from our client (XXX) making a payment into your paypal account (xxx)

Description:GOODS
Amount -$XXX

Buyers Verified Shipping Address
First Name :Becky
Last Name :Martins
Address: XXXX
City:XXX
Zip-Code:XXXX

The payment has been successfully made but due to security reason we have to receive the shipment tracking number before the next 72 hours for the processing of your order.

This a new measure we are taking to protect both our sellers and buyers against fraudulent customers.
Once you have shipped the item send us the shipment tracking number for verification after the number has verify your account will be credited instantly.This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail [url][email protected][/url]

**PLEASE NOTE **
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited.
Note: eBay and PayPal will be responsible for the item loss or damage once we receive the tracking number
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

PayPal, an eBay company
Copyright‚© 2005-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... cy-outside http://www.bbbonline.org/cks.asp?id=20111061155818568
PayPal, an eBay company
Copyright © 2005-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal (America) Ltd. is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United States as an electronic money institution. "

3rd Email after I told him that I have not seen the amount on my account:
"Kindly check your email well,i am sure you should have gotten the Confirmation from PayPal,try and check your spam and junk email too"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After his email, I received another duplicate Payment Confirmation immediately. So I called up Paypal hotline and was told not to send anything and to forward this email to [email protected].
My item was less than US$30, so do be careful, they are now looking for low priced item too.
Advertisement

#79950 by AlanJones Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 am
Hi hansel2011 and welcome to ScamWarners,

As you have found out the above is a scam and you haven't really received any money from them, just a fake payment email made to look like it has come from PayPal (it actually comes from a free email address provided by mail.com).

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.