Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#76779 by toniodu74 Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:14 pm
Hey.
Thanks to you, i just avoided a stupid thing. I received the same message from a Linda Melin.

Look what does "she" say :

Hello Antoine,

I just received an email from my pick up agent...am most sure i did not include that in my previous email, they said they won't come for the pick up unless i pay the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time and my pick up agent Head Quarters is in the United Kingdom and all commission payment made for pick up from anywhere in the world is sent to their Head Quarters in the Uk and the only form of payment they accept is western union money transfer.

I have tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring on-board ,and there is no post office or FEXCO(there is usually a western union section in most post offices and FEXCO) Can't locate any western union agent on sea. So i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the 4,000.00 SEK they charged to pick it up and take it to my home(1st class treatment),and also i will add another 350.00 SEK for the western union payment transfer charge. I have add all to the payment i will send through PayPal which will be the total sum of 9,350.00 SEK , after i'm done with the payment, i will need you to help me send the 4,000.00 SEK to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made online at www.westernunion.com .

I'm going to send the full payment of 9,350.00 SEK to your PayPal account as soon as i hear from you.

Can't wait to read from you

Thanks

Finally, there will be no transfer thanks to you!! :D
Advertisement

#76874 by Bubbles Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 am
Welcome to ScamWarners toniodu74, this is wonderful to hear as this is our goal, helping people not send money to a scammer. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#79644 by AlanJones Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:44 am
The fact the scammer has your cell number is not the end of the world. If he calls you just tell him the car has been sold to someone local, who has already picked it up.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#80306 by TRo Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Mattew Scott still scamming on car sales. Wants PayPal user info as if he can make it work. That is not how paypal works. When selling stuff, the seller needs the buyers email account for paypal so paypal can bill the buyer. Guess what, he does not respond after this! He wants to buy your vehicle for his father but cannot come and pick up the vehicle and will send his assistant to pick up the car at a later date. Dont be fouled! No one buys a car by only reading the description. Besides, his grammar his horrific!
#80917 by hurstme Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 am
I was contacted by Mattew Scott also! Same game...here is the email from Craigslist.

Thank for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as
advertised in the listing,i will like to add $100 to your final price
for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as
i am serious with this.I would like you to know that i am really
interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal
and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come
down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will
like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account
to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available
since i would not be seen it in person so i can pay it right away I am
a busy at work and do not have much time around me.if you don't have
paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
http://www.paypal.com and get it set up.. looking forward to your
response.

Thanks and reply asap.

Regards

His email address was listed as [email protected]
#81247 by TimberCreek Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm
Still At it.... Googled his email address and your website came up, I am now a member and will continue to search and post as needed.... thanks!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:52 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 03' Fatboy

Is it still available for sale?Im interested

Mattew
#81886 by snowman3521 Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 am
I received an email from Mattew Scott ([email protected]) in response to my truck on craigs list. At first, I thought nothing of it, but after my last email to him, I decided to search his name and found your site. Thanks for helping me to not make a huge mistake. Here is my post on cl followed by the emails between us.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 $6500

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Slt 4x4 V-10 Quad Cab. Approximately 120,000 miles Fully loaded. Leather interior, this truck has every option that was available in 2001. Runs strong with a lot of life left. Buying a new truck so I need to sell. Price is not negotiable, I am asking what I owe on it. Truck still books at almost $10,000. Email or text with questions or for pics.

Is it still available for sale?Im interested

Mattew

My response

Yes it is

His response

I'm interested, and consider it sold, I'm buying it for my father and
payment would be through PayPal, my agent will come for pick up,
actually I'm working in a ship and most time I am off shore. Expecting
your prompt reply, with the name and email address on the your PayPal
account so that I can make the payment and please provide me with
recent pictures including this item so I can see the condition before
we proceed since I would not be seen it in person so I can make a
payment right away, and pick up would at your residence. And lastly,
I'm offering additional $100 to your final price for you to keep it
off from other offer. If you don't have paypal account yet, it is
very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up..
looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Mattew

My final response before searching his name

Matt,

I will try to get some pictures this evening. If you are serious, I will have no problem holding off selling to someone else. But, since this is my first time selling something like this, you have to understand that I am a little leary of scams. So I want to do this by the book. According to pay pals website, I request the money from your account by giving them your email address, and they send you a notification asking for the money. After the money is in my account, I will have no problem with you or a representative of yours picking up the truck. However, to ensure that we are both protected, we will make the transaction at the local Chrysler dealership where we can have a bill of sale notorized, and make all the necessary arrangements to have my financial institution send the title to wherever it needs to go (which will be done in the presence of you or your representative). Please understand that I am not accusing you of any ill intent, but I have to protect myself.

Thanks for your understanding,

Jason
#81915 by Boysx3 Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm
I am so glad people post their experiences with this! I almost doubted my instinct, which immediately told me...SCAM!

I too received a Matthew Scott email [email protected] in regards to an add on craigslist for our vehicle:

"I'm interested, and consider it sold, I'm buying it for my father and
payment would be through PayPal, my agent will come for pick up,
actually I'm working in a ship and most time I am off shore. Expecting
your prompt reply, with the name and email address on the your PayPal
account so that I can make the payment and please provide me with
recent pictures including this item so I can see the condition before
we proceed since I would not be seen it in person so I can make a
payment  right away, and  pick up would at your residence. And lastly,
I'm offering additional $100 to your final price for you to keep it
off from other  offer. If you don't have paypal account yet, it is
very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up..
looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Mattew

I just wonder WHO is the 'Agent' that comes to pick up at the residence? And could you not have police here waiting for them with all this evidence?
Sad that so many know this scammer by whatever name, yet he is still scamming innocent people as we speak?? I don't get it....
#82030 by Bubbles Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Boysx3. You ask a great question below:

Boysx3 wrote:I just wonder WHO is the 'Agent' that comes to pick up at the residence? And could you not have police here waiting for them with all this evidence?
Sad that so many know this scammer by whatever name, yet he is still scamming innocent people as we speak?? I don't get it....

The scammer will not be coming to your door. He is in most cases in West Africa or Malaysia. What will come to your door is a shipping package or something like that. Having the police there would just waste their time.

Once you receive the forged check the scammer will then cancel the order, tell you to depost the check and refund money to him, but keep some money for yourself. The problem is the check will be a forgery and any money you send to the scammer by Western Union will come back to haunt you and the check will "bounce". Then all of the money you send to the scammer will have to be returned to the bank and the police will most likely become involved in the situation.

Yes, scammers look at scamming as their "job" so they do it on an ongoing basis.

#82147 by Boysx3 Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 am
Amazing!! I just received another one for my younger boys gokart they have listed on craigslist! I am just in awe that I have been hit TWICE in ONE WEEK by these scammers & Nothing Can Be Done?? I can only imagine how much this happens and how many people are fooled by this?! Absolutely unbelievable!!

This wasn't a Mattew Scott attempt, rather a Tonia Conie ([email protected])& here's what she had to offer:

Thanks for the prompt response and am sorry for the late response ,Am
OK with the
last price, i will love to make an instant purchase, also pls do
withdraw the advert from Craig, so that i can be rest assured that am
in hand of the  item . I will also like
you know that i will be paying check, and it will be over night
payment due to the distance.You don't need to bother your self with
the shipment OK,i will take care of
that. So i will need you to provide me with the following information
to facilitate the mailing of the check
1: Your full name
2: Your mailing address be it residential address
3: Your State
4: Your Zip code
5: Your phone number
I will be looking forward to hear back from you back Thanks

I guess it's just one more we all just blog about and can do nothing about..... Again, Amazing!
#82158 by Bubbles Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 am
Hi Boysx3,

If there were a way to positively connect the scam to a real person, yes, absolutely there would be something which could be done.

The challenge is like here. I might assume you are female and have 3 sons, but I cannot verify that. Even if you were to say "yes, that is true" I have now way of telling if you are lying, or maybe you are a grandma.

Even if you say "This is the real me..." I have no way of knowing with certainty.

If sites demanded copies of identification, the scammers would just make fake ones, which they do plenty of.

I hear your frustration. We work to help people not become victims, or if they are a victim, to break free from the trap and lies the scammer tells. Thank you for posting this information. It will help someone else! :D

#83042 by km3650 Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm
Mattew Scott is still at it. This is the e-mail I got from his e-mail [email protected]

Thank for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as
advertised in the listing,i will like to add $100 to your final price
for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as
i am serious with this.I would like you to know that i am really
interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal
and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come
down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will
like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account
to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available
since i would not be seen it in person so i can pay it right away I am
a busy at work and do not have much time around me.if you don't have
paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
http://www.paypal.com and get it set up.. looking forward to your
response.

Thanks and reply asap.

Regards

~~~~~~~

When I received this e-mail I automatically searched that e-mail address and it came up with this site. I'm thankful that everyone's shared their experiences or I might not have known. So then I played into his act and tried to get some more information from him. He eventually sent the phishing "PayPal" e-mail. So after some digging I didn't get much but I did get a fake phone number and I figured out other e-mails, besides [email protected] that are linked to him also: [email protected] , [email protected] , and [email protected] (that is the one that sends the phishing e-mail).

So has anyone reported this guy yet? Because I reported him to Homeland security, PayPal, and Gmail. :P
#83043 by Con Warner Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:13 pm
^^^ Homeland security can't act on him as he's out of jurisdiction. The legalities and diplomacy involved in catching this criminal outweigh the value of him.

Reporting his email addresses for closure only moves him on to new email addresses that can be set up for free and in minutes.
If his email accounts are not closed and the details are posted on-line, then people may see the warning.
If you report his email address for closure, then people may not realise that he's a scammer when doing a web search on him until they have been a victim themselves from his unlisted address. :(

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com