Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#85430 by LauraS Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:26 pm
Hello,
this is my first message in this forum, I want to share my experience about a very strange mail sended to me from a Society that don't have a website and recruited me without interviewing. The things that put me in alert was the man at the Ukash terminal, when i asked him to pay the amount for CRB certificate he told me was very strange and any agency do this.

This is the message

We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the post of a Bar Staff our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new team in London. There will be a 2 day induction and training which will start on the 16th and end on17th of February 2012 from 10am to 1pm each day at the 16 Laystall Street, London EC1R 4PE The two day training will be fully paid for and you are expected to come with your original documents.

Passport /Birth Certificate/ID card (showing your right to work in the UK)

Utility bill (showing current address)

N.I number

Bank/Building Society/Local Post Office details (for your wages)

The Confidential Application Form (print out)

The pay rate for your position will be £9.75 an hour, your shift pattern will be 8 hours a day, 5 days on and 2 days off, there is also Full time and Part time positions to choose from, there is morning shift and night shift and you will be paid every forth night(two weeks). The company will issue you a uniform on the induction/training day and you will be allocated the office site to work in London area.

Please e-mail us back the following, on or before the 13th of February 2012;

Your uniform size (i.e. Shirt, Trousers and Suit Jacket)

The mode of payment for your CRB checks (Ukash Voucher).

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £55.Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The Ukash is a new safe and secure payment method that we use for effective payment for CRB fees. The newsagent shops and off licence top up shops with a Paypoint services can issue you a Ukash voucher for £55.The Ukash voucher 19 digits numbers is what we require you to email us back for your CRB payment fees and also to ensure that your job placement is still effective. The CRB fees will only be refunded on your next wages if the report comes back satisfactory. The company will delist your name from the job placement list if we do not receive your uniform sizes and the Ukash voucher numbers.

The deadline for the submission by email of your uniform sizes and £55 Ukash voucher numbers for your CRB fees will be on the 10th of February 2012, no work placement will be offered without any of the above and you will not be eligible to come in for the two day training and induction. We are extremely very busy this period and may not be able to respond to your enquiries. We will give you any more information needed on the training/induction day and we are glad to welcome you to our company. Attached is a confidential application form, please print, fill in all relevant sections and bring it with you on the day of induction/training.

Recruitment Dept
Effective Recruitment Agency
Tel/Fax: 08445070284

Please let me know if this is a scam becouse the message seems very serious and full of details!!

Laura :D
Advertisement

#85434 by Flibble Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:47 pm
Hey LauraS!

Welcome to the forum :) If you see the man at Ukash terminal you should thank him :bowdown: This is definitely a scam! Yes that is a very detailed and convincing email (one of the best I've seen so far) but there's a few things that stand-out:

- You did not apply for the job
- They want money
- Strange payment method
- No website (not a definite indication but in 2012 it should raise questions)

No legitimate company/agency operates like this.

I'm so happy you didn't send the money! Laura can you please post the email address you were contacted from? You will help protects others like yourself :)

#85458 by cutelilly Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:46 am
Hi LauraS,

as Flibble said, this is not legit.
Some additional red flags:

1. they ask you to send them Ukash via email, while http://www.ukash.com/uk/en/alerts/security-tips.aspx warns

"NEVER send Ukash by email as you may become a victim of these scams and lose your money. Participating Ukash Merchants will never ask for payment to be made by sending voucher details over the telephone or by email or ask for payment to be made directly to a carrier to release a shipment."

2. their English contains some strange expressions (quite obvious to even a non native English speaker like me, but I will not list them as it can serve to educate the scammer).

Could you post headers too (delete your details)? (see Flibble's signature if you have trouble finding headers)
Last edited by Con Warner on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Corrected text
#86028 by eburdeniukaite Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm
Here is my version. Newly received today, Feb 15.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:29 PM
Subject: Your Application

Dear XXXXX,
We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the post of ‘Personal Assistant’ our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new security team. There will be a 2 day induction and training which will start on the 23rd and end on 24th of February 2012 from 10am to 1pm each day at the Bergius room, The Teacher Building 148 Old street London EC1V 9HQ.

The two day training will be fully paid for and you are expected to come with your original documents:

N.I number

The pay rate for your position will be £9.75 an hour, your shift pattern will be 9 hours a day, 5 days on and 2 days off (weekends), there are also Full time and Part time positions to choose from, there is morning shift ( 8am-4pm) and set shift (9pm- 5am) and you will be paid every forth night (two weeks). The company will issue you with id cards and entrance permit cards on the induction/training day and you will be allocated the office site to work in the city of London.

Please e-mail me back the following, on or before the 20th of February 2012;

Your uniform size (i.e. Shirt, Trousers and Suit Jacket)……(where applicable)

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £52.Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The Ukash is a new safe and secure payment method that we use for effective payment for CRB fees. The Post Office, Newsagent Shops and Off Licence Top Up Shops with a Paypoint, Payzone or epay services can issue you a Ukash voucher for £55.The Ukash voucher 19 digits numbers is what we require you to email us back for your CRB payment fees and also to ensure that your job placement is still effective. The CRB fees will only be refunded on your next wages if the report comes back satisfactory. The company will de-list your name from the job placement list if we do not receive your uniform sizes (where applicable) and the Ukash voucher numbers.

The deadline for the submission by email of your uniform sizes and £55 Ukash voucher numbers for your CRB fees will be on the 20th of February 2012, no work placement will be offered without any of the above and you will not be eligible to come in for the two day training and induction. We are extremely very busy this period and may not be able to respond to your enquiries. We will give you any more information needed on the training/induction day and we are glad to welcome you to our company.

Recruitment Dept
Tel/Fax: 0870 486 3611
#86113 by Nolwenn Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 am
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum too. it is so useful I think cause it has probably prevented me from loosing money!! I have received nearly exactly the same mail but some thimgs seems to be weird.
First of all, I have received the mail in my Spam box. I can't find the company on the web. I paste the mail that I have received on this post, you will see that it is nearly the same as LauraS. The difference between us is that I have replied to ads on Gumtree for this kind of position, but the mail that I have received doesn't come from Gumtree...
could you confirm me that it is a Scam?
Here is the mail that I have received :

Dear Nolwenn

Thank you for your recent application for the above vacancy.

We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing of your CV for the post of bar staff and waitress our company advertised, you have been shortlisted to join our new team in Birmingham. There will be a 2 day induction and training which will start on the 27th and end on 28th of February 2012 from 10am to 2pm each day at the 20 Pear Tree Drive, Birmingham, West Midlands B43 6HS. The two day training will be fully paid for and you are expected to come with your original documents;

N.I number

The pay rate for your position will be £9 an hour, your shift pattern will be discussed on training / induction day, Full time and Part time positions to choose from, there is morning shift and night shift, and you will be paid every forth night(two weeks). The company will issue you a uniform on the induction/training day and you will be allocated the office site to work in Birmingham area.

Please e-mail us back the following, before the 25th of February 2012;
Your uniform size (i.e. Shirt, Trousers and Suit Jacket)

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £55.Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company. The Ukash is a new safe and secure payment method that we use for effective payment for CRB fees. The newsagent shops and off licence top up shops with a Paypoint services can issue you a Ukash voucher for £55.The Ukash voucher 19 digits numbers is what we require you to email us back for your CRB payment fees and also to ensure that your job placement is still effective. The CRB fees will only be refunded on your next wages if the report comes back satisfactory. The company will delist your name from the job placement list if we do not receive your uniform sizes and the Ukash voucher numbers.
The deadline for the submission by email of your uniform sizes and £55 Ukash voucher numbers for your CRB fees will be on the 25th of February 2012, no work placement will be offered without any of the above and you will not be eligible to come in for the two day training and induction. We are extremely very busy this period and may not be able to respond to your enquiries. We will give you any more information needed on the training/induction day and we are glad to welcome you to our company. Attached is a confidential application form, please print, fill in all relevant sections and bring it with you on the day of induction/training.

A. T. ( I deleted the name of the woman cause I don't kmow if it is legal to let it... :roll: )
Recruit Dpt
20 Pear Tree Drive
Birmingham,West midlands
B43 6HS
Tele: 08445070261
Fax: 08445070261
#86115 by AlanJones Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:50 am
It's a scam, no legitimate company would use UKash as a means of payment.

Also, when I have had to have CRB checks in the past, they have been arranged directly with the provider of the check, not via the employer, despite what the email says about not accepting ones done outside the company.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#86797 by lsobrixton Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm
Beware, this is a scam

Here is my version.

This ad was on Gumtree:

DRIVER-COURIER London £19,000
London

Contract type

Permanent

Applications are invited for the position of Driver Courier - small vans and cars. Full driving licence, have a good geographical knowledge of the London areas.

Some previous experience of courier work preferred, but not essential must be able to use a Sat-Nav.

Accordingly, your interpersonal skills must be of the highest order, and we will be looking for evidence of experience at supervisory level in a medium to large size organisation.

The rewards, alongside a highly competitive benefits package, include a rare degree of freedom and responsibility.

To apply, please write with a full CV and current salary details to our consultant Josh Mcguire. Closing date: 29 February 2012. Please be advised that this position is subject to an enhanced disclosure check (CRB)

THIS WAS THE REPLY. 21/02/2012

DRIVER-COURIER London £19,000

Josh Mcguire: [email protected]

Dear Mr .............,
We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the post of ‘Driver-Courier’ our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new team. There will be a 2 day induction and training which will start on the 28th and end on 29th of February 2012 from 10am to 1pm each day at the Bergius room, The Teacher Building 148 Old street London EC1V 9HQ. The two day training will be fully paid for and you are expected to come with your original documents;

N.I number

The pay rate for your position will be £10.75 an hour, your shift pattern will be 9 hours a day, 5 days on and 2 days off (weekends), there are also Full time and Part time positions to choose from, there is morning shift ( 8am-4pm) and set shift (9pm- 5am) and you will be paid every forth night (two weeks). The company will issue you with ID cards and entrance permit cards on the induction/training day and you will be allocated the office site to work in the city of London.

Please e-mail me back the following, on or before the 24th of February 2012;

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme (VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £55 (fifty five pounds sterling only) .Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The Ukash is a new safe and secure payment method that we use for effective payment for CRB fees. The Post Office, Newsagent Shops and Off Licence Top Up Shops with a Paypoint, Payzone or epay services can issue you a Ukash voucher for £55.

The Ukash voucher’s 19 digit number is what we require you to email back to us for your CRB payment fees and also to ensure that your job placement is still effective. The CRB fees will only be refunded on your next wages if the report comes back satisfactory. The company will de-list your name from the job placement list if we do not receive your uniform sizes (where applicable) and the Ukash voucher numbers.

The deadline for the submission by email of your uniform sizes and £55 Ukash voucher numbers for your CRB fees will be on the 24th of February 2012, no work placement will be offered without any of the above and you will not be eligible to come in for the two day training and induction. We are extremely very busy this period and may not be able to respond to your enquiries. We will give you any more information needed on the training/induction day and we are glad to welcome you to our company.

Recruitment Dept
Tel/Fax: 0845 299 1740

Beware, this is a scam
#87130 by daniels17 Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 pm
OMG So glad i did a littel research on numbers name of bussiness etc. I thought this was to good to be true. Thank you my fellow job hunters for stoping me wasting £52 quid from my poor self! This deffo a scam i got this email below. I called the hotel and they have nobody in on them days fact 1 ! Fact 2 CRB Checks are never done like this. Number 3 they have not even mentioned the job and they know job seekers applying for everything on gumtree diverting our attention to ask what the job was ! I just sent him an email telling him to pi** off. Thank you scamer for geting me excited

Dear Chevi

We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV , you have been selected to join our new team in London Bridge. There will be a 2 day induction and training which will start on the 7th and end on the 8th of March 2012 from 10am to 1pm each day at The Marriott London Regents Park. 128 King Henrys Road London NW3 3ST The two day training will be fully paid for and you are expected to come with your original documents;

N.I number

The pay rate for your position will be £9.75 an hour, your shift pattern will be 12 hours a day, 5 days on and 2 days off, there is also Full time and Part time positions to choose from, there is morning shift ( 8am-8pm) and night shift (8pm- 8am) and you will be paid every forth night(two weeks).

The company will issue you a uniform on the induction/training day and you will be allocated the office site to work in London Bridge area.

Please e-mail us back the following, on or before the 27th of February 2012;

Your uniform size (ie Shirt, Trousers and Suit Jacket)

The mode of payment for your CRB check is Ukash.

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £52.Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The Ukash is a new safe and secure payment method that we use for effective payment of CRB fees. The post office, newsagent shops and off licence top up shops with a Paypoint,Payzone or epay services can issue you a Ukash voucher for £52.The Ukash voucher 19 digits numbers is what we require you to email us back for your CRB payment fees and also to ensure that your job placement is still effective. The CRB fees will only be refunded on your next wages if the report comes back satisfactory. The company will delist your name from the job placement list if we do not receive your uniform sizes and the Ukash voucher numbers.

The deadline for the submission by email of your uniform sizes and £52 Ukash voucher numbers for your CRB fees will be on the 24th of February 2012, no work placement will be offered without any of the above and you will not be eligible to come in for the two day training and induction. We are extremely very busy this period and may not be able to respond to your enquiries. We will give you any more information needed on the training/induction day and we are glad to welcome you to our company. Attached is a confidential application form, please print, fill in all relevant sections and bring it with you on the day of your induction/training.

Adam Lee

Recruitment Dept
TradeCoast Ltd.
Tel/Fax: 08704863611
#87382 by Teacake Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Re the above. If a CRB was needed for any position then legally in the UK it has to be done by the company you are working for, the clients policy would have nothing to do with it. For example, say you decided to have two jobs and each needed a CRB check then you would have to have a check for each company you were working for, one would not cover the other position. Also the company you work for usually pays for it, not the individual. I don't know of any bar tending / hotel / driving jobs (cept maybe Securicor) that would require a CRB.

Bar positions do not usually pay over the minimum wage per hour and £9 plus would have me wondering what sort of bar I would be working in ! Also hotels pay monthly, bars may pay weekly, but I have never come across anywhere in the last few years that will pay on a two weekly basis, apart from one factory, but now even they don't do that.
#88035 by ak47 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm
FUCKIN TOSSER I CANT BELIEVE THAT I FELL FOR THIS SHIT EVEN AFTER ALL MY STREET SMART I GUESS LOOKING FOR A JOB MAKES YOU HELPLESS SHOULD HAVE DONE THE RESEARCH BEFORE HAND NOT AFTER THE PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE
#88039 by Justin Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm
Hello ak47,

Sorry to hear you were scammed. Please don't be so hard on yourself no one expects to be scammed looking for a job. I'm sure you will do a little research next time I know it sucks learning your lesson this way.

Justin

#88429 by Larissa Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 pm
Ah! Damn! I got quite the same message as daniels17 just today!
Got me so excited! Then I realized it sonds too good to be true. Glad I did some checks on it!