Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#84963 by carseller Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:23 pm
I received a scam email via autotrader.com. The email headers are not useful because the message is relayed through AutoTrader. Unfortunately, the IP address of the "buyer" is not provided by AutoTrader.

Here is the initial message from the scammer. It contains an abundance of red flags (grammar, punctuation, etc), in addition to the fact that I received it multiple times. Note that instead of the usual "item", this message included the actual vehicle, which I have removed for security reasons. The scammer used the name "tom summy".

Hello seller I am intrested on your (vehicle ) posted for sale on autotrader please do get back to me with your last price and the condition of the (vehicle ) cos am ready to make payment now am waiting to read from you very soon.
Advertisement

#88272 by acbuys Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm
I have one too - not the first time he has emailed me:

Thanks for the prompt response,the price is okay by me,I am ready to buying it now for Birthday gift for my Dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for Dad so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://WWW.PayPal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.
Cheers...

Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:43 PM
Subject: CAR

Hi there
yes the car is still available.
Make me an offer...

AC

Question
Good Day, Good day Mate,i will like to know if the Car still available for sale? and i will like to know the final asking price of it..Your quick response will strongly appreciated. Cheers.