Room for Rent and other rental scams
#80325 by Bubbles Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 am
Welcome to ScamWarners valecoil and NicolaiF . The name the scammer uses is only a name they have chosen to sound ligitimate. It is not their real name. Scammers lie and everything they tell you is a lie.

What does help is if there is any change in email address from the information which has been posted already. Some times it is real good to get an email address several times so the search engines pick it up easily.

The IP helps to know where the email is sent from with some restrictions because some email providers hide IP addresses, and some scammers use other means to hide their IP address.

It is great news you didn't get taken in by this scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
Advertisement

#91985 by Titar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:32 pm
On 24 Mar 2012, at 04:43 AM, Tan tong Ne <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Flatmate,

I noticed in your profile in Share Accommodation you were in search of a room lucky enough i have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located at 82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587  but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Tan Nee an easygoing jovial and friendly male. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to France,also recently UK,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon.  My Dad used to live here in this apartment with my Family but we later moved to UK where he passed away and I am the only one in  this apartment although my mother is still in UK overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now on an internship project attached to a firm of my Dad's Company and I have being sent to supervise and would be back by the end of June. As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I will send you the Keys to the apartment by mail

About my apartment,
The house is located at  82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587 It is a three bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have two rooms ready for move in, the rooms  are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room  and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $500 Per Month and this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of $900. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.
I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I also attach the pictures of the apartment and i am willing to send you the tenement contract agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.
Regards and waiting to read from you soon
Tan

#91986 by Titar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:34 pm
On 24 Mar 2012, at 10:27 AM, Tan tong Ne <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for your mail,the rooms are still available either for short or long term basis depending on your choice and Like i said,my apartment has 3 rooms and a living room,so i use one room while two is for rent.The rent for the apartment is $500 per month while you would also make a security deposit of $900.This deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed during your stay.  
Before we proceed though,there are some conditions and rules and I will like us to decide on and it just requires your consent and afterwards we can proceed with the contract and for me to reserve the room  you so you can move in as soon as you want to,i will need you to get back to me with the following:  
1.You shall sign a document confirming that the room has been reserved for you  
2.You shall make your first month payment to me  
3.You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment. For the document to be prepared successfully,I would be needing the following details:  
(1) Your move in and out date;
(2) Your current address and also the address where you would like the keys to the apartment,the Original copy of the contract and also the receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment from me which you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my room mate
(3) Your scanned ID passport for identification
(4) Your Full Name
(5) The Total Months you will like to stay in my apartment (6) Mobile #  
The house is located at  82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587 and the nearest MRT station is ORCHARD . It overviews the courtyard with a large window.
This apartment is ideal for 3 guests.The living room is  well furnished  and perfect,i am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now and would be back by the end of June.As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I would send you the Keys to the apartment by mail and also send the contract documents and receipt as well.   I hope you quite understand me and everything?  
There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry needs and also to the apartment has a car park.Infact,it has being allotted two car spaces.   I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further details about the documents towards having you as my room mate.
Warmest regards,

Tan.        
#91987 by Titar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 pm
T.T

I emailed to Tan my passport page. He got my personal info - all items he requrested above. I have filed a police report. Anything else I should do?

> On 24 Mar 2012, at 11:48 AM, Tan tong Ne <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Okay then just got your passport...let me know if I should proceed sending you the signed contract for you to sign and make payment so I can begin sending you the keys and reserving the room till you want to move in
> >
> > Tan
#91990 by Titar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 pm
From another sender - [email protected]. Really similar content. If I had read both emails carefully then I wouldn't have sent my passport details to Tan.

Hi Flatmate,

I noticed in your profile in Share Accommodation you were in search of a room lucky enough  i have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located in  370 Thomson Rd, Singapore 298128  Subway: Toa Payoh (0.81 km) It is a few minutes ride to Toa Payoh MRT Station and just minutes walk to at Balestier Shopping Center..close to shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants,shopping mall,Central train station,Fully furnished with TV , fitted kitchen with all pots/pans, toaster, fridge, dishwasher, dryer, etc.Heated indoor pool and spa, Gym,sauna,fully serviced apartment complex,Large balcony with excellent views,Internet Access,Air Conditioning,Opening Windows,Washing Machine,Ironing Equipment,Tea/Coffee Making,Hair dryer but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Michelet Etienne James and I am a 21 year old easygoing Male,My father is from Liverpool England and my mother is from Singapore. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to Germany,Wales,also recently Scotland,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon.  My mother used to live here in this apartment with my Family. but my father live in the apartment also later moved to USA where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment at the moment, although my mother is still in the USA overseeing my late father's business and I am not in Singapore right now and would not be back for sometime.

About my apartment, It is a two bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have one rooms ready for move in, the rooms  are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver,Air Condition,laudry machine, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

Living room description:
Air conditioning ; DVD ; Hifi ; Broadband Internet WIFI ; Tv by Cable ; Phone ; TV ; Bookshelf ; Desk ; Sofa ; Chairs ; Double Glass ; Shelves ; Armchair ; Window ; Parquet flooring ; Coffee Table ; View on courtyard, Air Condition

Bedroom 1 description:Bed, bathroom and households linen ; Double bed ; Double Glass ; Shelves ; Window ; Bedside lamp ; Bed ; Parquet flooring ; Wardrobe ; Cupboards

Bathroom 1 description:
Shower ; Bed, bathroom and households linen ; Hair Dryer ; Tiling ; Single wash basin ; Towel Dryer ; WC

Kitchen description:
Vacuum cleaner ; Kettle ; Iron ; Fridge ; Toaster ; Coffee machine ; Micro wave oven ; Chairs ; Shoulder-height kitchen cupboards ; Floor-standing kitchen cupboards ; Parquet flooring ; Kitchen Table

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room  and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $700 Per Month and this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of $800. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I also attached the pictures of my flat and also the tenement agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon,

Michelet
#91991 by Titar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:57 pm
Another sender: [email protected]

Hello,

I am a chinese woman PR holder , offering my unit to let on a short on longer term basis to responsible individuals,groups professionals, student with sense of humour that can take good care care of the apartment , its a two bedroom unit consisting a master and a common bedrooms , each rooms are attached/ ensuit with own toilet and bath, fully furnished living room with new LED TV and , DVD player, sets of comfy leather sofas, airconditioned furnitures and starhub WIFI receiver, the room has a private lcd tv , wall fitted wadrobes, shoe racks,reading table, dressing mirror, and airconditioned, all new recently fixed.

The kitchen is fully furnished and equipped kwith washing machine, dishwasher, fridge/freezer,hob/oven Its in Central location, less than 10 minutes to Orchard Shopping District and of the of the most beautiful developments in District 8, Singapore, its Convenient 5 Minutes walk to Farrer Park MRT Station (2 stops from Dhoby Ghaut Metro | Orchard Road)Direct Bus Service to Raffles Place, Orchard Road, Vivocity, Bugis Junction

Fully Furnished with Queen-size Bed,Built-in Wardrobe,Bay Window with Pool / City View Wireless Internet,Total freedom and privacy for the tenants as i , the owner will not be living in the unit due to my recent job adventure outside SGP, and oppurtunity to Meet people( expats) from all over the world .

Amenities includes 1 Road away from City Square Mall (9 Levels of Restaurants, Supermarkets, Shops) and 5 minutes walk to Mustafa Shopping Centre (24-hour Shopping Haven)

50M Lap Pool, Bubble Lounger, Jacuzzi, Pool Deck, Ring Fountain Poll Playground, Kids waterway, Clubhouse, Gymnasium, Bowling Alley, Function Room, GamesRoom, Karaoke Room, Steam Baths, Table Game Lounge, Fitness Stations, Teniss Court, BBQ Pits, Putting Green, Covered Car Park and , and 24-Hours Security Services
City Square Residences stands tall to give you breathtaking views with units facing the park, the city or the beautiful landscape incorporating the pools and water features.

Most blocks are oriented north-south, and with the soothing sight and sounds of water everywhere,you’ll experience resort living right at home and right in the city it is accessible via the nearby Central Expressway (CTE) and East Coast Parkway (ECP). Commuting to the Central Business District

Location .

12 Kitchener Link Singapore,207224, located on high (12TH ) floor with free air and a great view to the whole enviroment,

The rent is SGD1800$ for the whole unit for single or group renting , SGD900$ for master room rental , 700$ for common room rental , with an option of two people renting or sharing room as well, cooking allowed and PUB inclusive, the rental are negotiable if you are interested, advance rent will be required with a refundable security deposit of $SGD1000

Regards,

GTALK [email protected]
MESSANGER, [email protected]

+44 7719556957
#91994 by Dotti Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 pm
It's a scam. The ad consists of lots of really poor cut and paste, and the redirect phone number is a dead giveaway. He probably copied part of his description from this ad (which was several months ago): http://www.sg-house.com/classifieds/room-for-rent/3818608-rooms-and-units-for-rent-at-city-square-residences-minutes-from-the-city.html

Plus, the costs are way too low. Normal rents are over $3000 as you can also see here: http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/7727269/for-rent-city-square-residences

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#93630 by Dotti Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm
We would need to see the actual emails from him to say for sure whether this is a typical rental scammer, but ANY rental offer requiring you to pay via WU makes it virtually certain that it is a scam.

Western Union is not intended for sending money to strangers--it is not a safe way to carry on any transaction with someone you don't know personally.

#93633 by andiandi Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:05 pm
okay, here it is:

Thanks for choosing my Apartment... Luckily, the apartment is still available for
your dates, 04/05/12 to 04/19/12, 2-weeks, is $840 ( @ $420 a week).. Weekly
Discount Rate.. To secure the Apartment down for your dates 50% of the rental fee
will be required = ( $420) + $500 a fixed refundable damage security deposit, so all
you need pay to book down the Apartment for your desire dates is = $920 (cleaning
and taxes inclusive)...The apartment is located on 96 Somerset Road, Singapore
238163. Not shared, Private Full Apartment. More pictures attached. There are lots
of security around easy access to transportation, Noting much to write about the
Apartment is situated on the 4th floor with an elevator in the Building lots of
shops, bar, hotels and restaurants. Facilities:Luxuries: Internet access, DVD
playerGeneral: Central heating, Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-fi
availableStandard: Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryerUtilities: Clothes dryer,
Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine. Beddings arrangement: 1
Bedroom, Sleeps 4.Bedroom 1 - King-Size bedThis apartment Sleeps 4 people
comfortably in beds. The couch in the living room. Access: Secure parking Linen,
Towels and Toiletries also provided. It can Accommodate 6 people with comfort..
Newly renovated kitchen includes microwave, full size oven, coffee maker and cooking
utensils to satisfy the most discriminating gourmet chef and many more Appliance you
want in a Modern full Kitchen.... My method of payment is via Western Union or Money
Gram. The Remaining 50% Balance will be paid when you arrive to the Apartment and
Your Damage security deposit of $500 will be refunded to you when you are leaving
the Apartment on your Departure date... Please let me know your interest asap, If
you really need to secure down the Apartment, get back to me asap to move further,
so I can send you a Booking Agreement Form and how to make your payment.. RESERVE
ASAP, before someone else does... NOTE: I`d Love to provide you a Reference. My
past Tenants, so you wouldn't need to waste your time making a Decision.. Mr Damian
Stewart from U.S, stayed [email protected] Many More.. Waiting to
read back from you soonest, if you are still interested in this apartment or not...
Best RegardsJames Mooney
#93957 by eSpaSol Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 am
Hi,

I would just like to share what I've experienced so far. Saw this ad in st701.com for an apartment for rent for just S$1200 (inclusive of PUB) in the city area, Victoria Street, which I believe is surrounded mostly by business shops. A bit suspicious, then I've been reading the posts here and did a little bit of research. I haven't made any transactions because she keeps refusing to avoid the apartment viewing. Just to warn those who have seen the post from st701.com. Here's the exchange of emails from this person named GONZALEZ CASTANON ELENA which I think is a scammer. I would like to get your views on the email below:

------------------

To:
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2012 6:38 PM
Subject: Urgent Apartment for Rent No Agent!

Hello Lanie,,

My name is Gonzalez Castanon Elena. I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment, as soon as possible, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in Spain. I'm a project manger in civil engineering, so my accommodation period here will be very large (more than 7 years ). I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment, for what period, etc. I will tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem with pets (I own a little dog myself). Now I am going to tell you something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other. The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, and available from 2 months to 10 years. Also, very important, the utilities are INCLUDED in the price of SG$ 1200 /month. About myself, I am 51 years old and as I told you I am a project manager and my job even if it pais very well, requires that I move a lot and without notice. I bought this apartment while I was working on a 4 year contract in Singapore. You can move in the apartment in the same day you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m already in Madrid because we started the work, but you don't need to worry because I have made all arrangements to rent the apartment from here. Thank you for your interest and looking forward to a future colaboration and friendship.

Best regards,

---------------

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 wrote:
Hi Elena,

Thanks for your response. I am currently working here in Singapore as an IT Consultant. I've been here for almost 3 years. I am looking for an apartment together with my 3 other well-known friends who are also working here in Singapore. I would just like to know a few more details about the apartment, like where is it located and is it available for viewing? Also, how will the terms of payment be?

Hoping for your response. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Lanie

--------------

On 2 Apr, 2012, at 22:36, Gonzalez Castanon Elena <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Lanie,

The apartment is located on Victoria Street, Singapore.
The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after you can also share that apartament with a freind or family. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a rent agency which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys.
Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week!

Greetings

--------------

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 5:57 AM, wrote:
Hi Elena,

Would it be fine if we view the place first before moving on? If so, how will we be able to view it and to whom are we going to arrange with?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Lanie

--------------

Hi Lanie,

I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to I.T.N Real Estate Company 2 months of rent and 1 of deposit, so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract. Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. 
 I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
1 - To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping name and address to proceed with this deal.
2 - I go to the  I.T.N Real Estate Company Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 -  I.T.N Real Estate Company  will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 -  I.T.N Real Estate Company will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody.
5 - At this point you will have to go and make a money transfer deposit on the  I.T.N Real Estate Company agent name assigned with this transaction.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to I.T.N Real Estate Company .
7 -  I.T.N Real Estate Company will verify the payment information and if everything is ok they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you.
8 - After you receive the package, the I.T.N Real Estate Company will go with you and check the apartment and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apartment or not, if everything is in order you will instruct  I.T.N Real Estate Company to release the funds to me. If you don't like the apartment, they will send your money back and you will send them the keys and the contract to return the package back to me on my expense. Now I must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and I want to know for sure what I must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then I must have all the shipping details so I will be able to make all the arrangements for the  I.T.N Real Estate Company delivery.
Thanks and wait news from you!

Thank you,
#93968 by Dotti Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 am
Your suspicions are correct. That is 100% scam. The language, storyline, and tactics used are those of an African scammer. In fact, look at these words from a scam over 2 years ago:

http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2122

My name is Angela Brassing and I received your email of interest for the rental of my apartment located in Lausanne onCh.du Bois-de-la-Fontaine 9,postal code:1007.
I'm looking for someone to live in the apartment, as soon as possible, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in United Kingdom, Manchester. I'm a project manger in civil engineering , so my accommodation period here will be from 5 to 10 years.
I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment, for what period, etc. I will tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem with pets (I own a little dog myself).
Now I am going to tell you something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures
, fully furnished, renovated with taste and available from 2 months to 10 years. Also, very important, the utilities (water, gas, electricity, Internet, cable TV, parking space, refrigerator, microwave, etc) are INCLUDED in the price of 850 CHF/month. I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs).
About myself, I am 42 years old and as I told you I am a project manager and my job even if it pais very well , requires that I move a lot and without notice . I bought this apartment while I was working on a 4 year contract in Switzerland.