Room for Rent and other rental scams
#93670 by smithenz Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:31 pm
Hello,

It gives me great joy to know that you have interest in my lovely house,its still very much available for rent and ready for immediate occupancy. I am sure you would be asking yourself why my rent is low, that's because i am not too keen about the amount in renting the house out but to whom i am renting the house out to. My intention is to rent my house to someone that is responsible and be ready to take great care of the house as if it were his or hers. I am very certain that you would love the comfy of the house.

I would like you to know that i am giving this house out for rent because i have been posted to West Africa as an Pediatrician (kid's doctor) and would spend couple of years before i would be through with my assignment here. So my family and i have decided that we would be moving to our other home in Seattle, Washington when we get back to the states,i would like you to complete the tenant application form below and please be honest with these details to enable us choose the right tenant.

Rent Fees
Rent Per Month: $650 (Including Utilities)
Security Deposit: $500 (Refundable)
HOUSE FEATURES:

Large 3 Bedroom With Living Room,
2 Bath
High Ceilings
Stainless Steel Appliances
Formal Dining Room
Separate Kitchen,
Brand New Cabinets,
Electric Cooker,
dish washer & Refrigerator
Washer and Dryer in the house also.

COMPLETE THE TENANT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:
RENT APPLICATION FORM.
FIRST NAME:
MIDDLE NAME:
LAST NAME:
PROFESSION:
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
KIDS (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
HOW LONG?
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING
IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET:
KIND OF PETS:
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE
DO YOU DRINK
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?

After i have received these details above, i would discuss with my wife and let you know my terms and how we would conclude the Lease process so you can move into the house asap.

I hope to hear from you soonest..
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx.
Advertisement

#94705 by Dotti Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 pm
Thank you for posting this information, David.

It's not fair that real people end up in the middle because scammers decide to use their names, but often posting like you did, besides helping people to avoid being scammed, is the best way to get the word out that you are not involved.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#95022 by Helen Halper Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, tiff715!
I'm really sorry that you inadvertently got involved with the scammer using the name of Robert Cote and the email address: [email protected].
Please don't worry too much about the personal info that you sent. The scammer just wants your money, plain and simple. Thank goodness you didn't lose any, by the sounds of your post! Don't email him again. If he sends one or two more messages to you, just ignore them. He will very quickly move on to another potentially paying victim.

#95126 by tiff715 Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm
That's good to hear. However, I feel like nearly everyone I e-mailed about apartments are scams now! I just received another e-mail from this supposed person name David Lowery. His e-mail is [email protected] and his e-mail contained a similar style and format as all the other ones.

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenant that will be able to take good care of my apartment because I work as Research Associate in Molecular Imaging Research/Neurology and I do travel a lot, Presently I am in the United Kingdom for research and I don't know when I will return back to Canada that's why am looking for a Tenant who will live in the apartment and take care of it as i don't want to sell it. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted. The apartment is located at 140 Simcoe Street, Toronto, Ontario M5H 4E9

The apartment is furnished. The rent is inclusive of the below listed utilities.
• High Speed Internet
• In-Suite Laundry
• Large in-suite storage
• Cable

Its a spacious and lovely 2-bedrooms 1bathroom and 1 storage furnished apartment, Utilities are included and Pets are allowed.
Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric..
I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the apartment and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word,the rental fees is $800 per month including utilities and the security deposit is $500. I will like you to drive by to the building at your convenient time to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located. Find attached, some of the interior pictures of the apartment for you to know what the inside looks like. I will be shipping the keys and documents of the apartment to you through DHL express next day delivery as soon as we have concluded. Get back to me with your final decision after viewing the
exterior features and let me know if you wish to proceed further so that I can forward you the rental application form for you to fill and get back to me.
Regards

I feel like this guy is doing a huge scam on a lot of the craigslist ads, and I'm sure he is the same person. Is there any way that this person could be stopped? I have already e-mailed 2 ads that were both him! It's pretty annoying now.
Last edited by Bubbles on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.
#95201 by Bubbles Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 pm
Yes, this is a scammer again. Scammers give irrelevant information and make the situation sound too good to be true. The want you to send money to them by Western Union or some other money transfer service.

No actual landlord would send keys to a total stranger. Only scammers claim that they will do that.

Yes, scammers do make all of life more difficult, that is why we do what we do. We welcome you to continue to post up scammers you cone in contact with. We need their script and their email address.

Thank you for joining us here.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.