Room for Rent and other rental scams
#91399 by salah Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm
Hi All,

My great thanks for the people working on this site. Today I have recieved this email from Alice offering me a room for rent. Please have a look at her email.

"Hello Salah,
I am pleased to offer furnished double bedroom in a flat share for 4 weeks starting from 5th of April, 2012. However, the flat comprises of Kitchen fully furnished (washing machine, microwave, kettle, fridge, table, cutlery, plates)

Central heating
It's a really cosy flat

The location: Alie Street, London E1 8Da (The apartment is located 3 minutes from the Aldgate East tube station)

The room:

Bright room newly decorated, with wardrobe, drawers, desk, chair.
Wood floor it’s really warm in winter!
Double glazed, double bed, chest of drawers, computer desk.
New Flat TV 32” with more than 100 Channels.

The Price:

Room : (£480 pcm) all bills included, (electricity, gas, council tax, broadband internet)

Kindly reply for further information.

I look forward to your reply soon.

Kind Regards
Alice Watson
+44 (0)7932391918
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:01:05 +0300
Subject: Room details wanted
To: [email protected]
Advertisement

#91408 by Dotti Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm
Thank you for posting this information.

As you can see, this scammer has been active using this name for some time, but I see "she" has changed email addresses.
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30795&p=85956

Later, we will add these posts to the other thread so that people can see her different emails at one time.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#95872 by izabalza1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 am
Hello,

I have been contact by Alice Watson. I copy here the email.
Please be aware guys.

Hello Inaki,
Thanks for your reply. I am willing to have you in my flat for a short term. Also, you will be sharing the flat with an affable male professional. However, it was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in Reading, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 1 month rent and security deposit of £400 which is refundable after your stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through Western union money transfer. You can make the transfer with your name as a sender name and your partner or friend in UK as the receiver.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing.

Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver picks up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

Kindly reply if you have more questions to ask.

I look forward to reading from you.

Kind Regards
Alice
#96074 by susu66 Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 am
I received an email that obviously is a scam. He think I'm a sucker :mrgreen:

Here's the content.

Hello,
I just read your message regarding my apartment.
Sorry if my answer comes quite late, but your email arrived in my spam folder, and I couldn't see it until now.
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Canada, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
The flat is fully furnished and renovated, exactly like in the photos.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 2 parking spots in garage, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the price of $1200/month. The security deposit is also $1200, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.
Before we go any further I would like to know how many persons you intend to share the flat with, and for how long.
Now, a little bit about myself: My name is Herbert Ennico and I'm a 59 years old graphic designer from London, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely wife, Christine and a 25 year old daughter, Linda. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :).
Another member of our family is a six year old Labrador Retriever which we all love, so, since I'm a pet owner myself, I will have no problem if you want to keep a pet in the house.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training, so my schedule is pretty hectic right now.
But this won't affect the rental at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).
Looking forward to hear from you soon.
All the best from Britain!

the second email I received:

Hello ,
Thanks for your reply,
The apartment is located at 110 Bloor St W, M5S 2W7.
You seem to be a very nice person and I can assure you we will not have problems. Like I have informed you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month of rent will be $1200 and i want also one month guarantee deposit $1200 ( the guarantee deposit $1200 you will receive back when you leave the apartment ), with no extra taxes to pay. I want to receive the money monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money .

Of course you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details . I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.The delivery for the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made with TNT to make sure that we can trust each other.
I will explain the procedure if you are interested so please email me as soon as you read this message because I really need to take care of this matter.

Regards
Last edited by Bubbles on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.
#96199 by Bubbles Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:03 am
Welcome to ScamWarners izabalza1 . Please post up the email address the scammer used to send that message out. That is the best way we have to track scammers.

susu66 wrote: He think I'm a sucker :mrgreen:

Don't take scam emails personally, the author hopes everyone who receives them will be a sucker and believe what they have written.

Please post up the email address the scammer used to send this message out.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#110639 by Michelle Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:57 am
Subject: RE: About agreement
To: Michelle Banks
Date: Thursday, June , 2012, 10:22 PM

Hello Michelle
I have contacted my lawyer in other to clarify the total rent of your stay. However, my lawyer have done the clarification immediately and i have attached the new contract indicating on #3, the date (1st of July, 2012 - 20th of September, 2012) and the total amount for 12 weeks minus 2 days (1760 pounds).

Also, i have informed my lawyer about your opinion as regards the payment and my lawyer have agreed that you can make the payment through the bank transfer. On execution of the Agreement, you will transfer one month rent of 600 pounds plus the refundable security deposit of 400 pounds making the total sum of 1000 pounds in other to confirm rent for the two bedrooms.

Here is my bank details:

BANK NAME: Lloyds tsb bank
ACCOUNT NAME: Alice Watson
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 21360768
SORT CODE: 77-91-34

Kindly let me know when you would proceed with the transfer in other for my lawyer to put all necessary paper work in place before your arrival.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Alice

#126991 by Hellenback Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 pm
I received identical emails when looking for an apartment at a different address in Toronto on Kijiji from:

Richard Jammell <[email protected]>

The ad has been removed as I'm afraid he likely got plenty of replies. I actually sent him my name/address/phone# as I thought he was in London Ontario :oops:

susu66 wrote:I received an email that obviously is a scam. He think I'm a sucker :mrgreen:
Here's the content.

Hello,
Sorry if my answer comes quite late, but your email arrived in my spam folder, and I couldn't see it until now.
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Canada, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 2 parking spots in garage, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the price of $1200/month. The security deposit is also $1200, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.
Before we go any further I would like to know how many persons you intend to share the flat with, and for how long.
Now, a little bit about myself: My name is Herbert Ennico and I'm a 59 years old graphic designer from London, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely wife, Christine and a 25 year old daughter, Linda. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :).
Another member of our family is a six year old Labrador Retriever which we all love, so, since I'm a pet owner myself, I will have no problem if you want to keep a pet in the house.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training, so my schedule is pretty hectic right now.
But this won't affect the rental at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).

the second email I received:

Hello ,
Thanks for your reply,
The apartment is located at 110 Bloor St W, M5S 2W7.
You seem to be a very nice person and I can assure you we will not have problems. Like I have informed you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month of rent will be $1200 and i want also one month guarantee deposit $1200 ( the guarantee deposit $1200 you will receive back when you leave the apartment ), with no extra taxes to pay. I want to receive the money monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money .

Of course you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details . I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.The delivery for the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made with TNT to make sure that we can trust each other.
I will explain the procedure if you are interested so please email me as soon as you read this message because I really need to take care of this matter.

Regards
#140166 by AnnaKitten Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm
I would like to thank you because you've just saved me from a scam.
I was suspicious because it seemed too good to be true and after a few web searches I've found this topic. THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D
And I think you should add this name "Angela Dawson" and e-mail: "[email protected]" to the list of scammers. This is the text of the e-mail the scammer sent me today:

Hello X,
A nice, bright bedroom available within a flatshare, the property is located in Laburnum Street, Shoreditch, London E1 8Bd. However, the flat comprises of Kitchen fully furnished (washing machine, microwave, kettle, fridge, table, cutlery, plates)

The room:

Bright room newly decorated, room with wardrobe, drawers, desk, chair.
Double glazed, chest of drawers, computer desk.
New Flat TV 32" with more than 100 Channels.

The Price:

Rent : (£600 per month) all bills included, (electricity, gas, broadband internet)
Refundable security deposit: £400

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
Angela Dawson
+44 (0)7932391918
#220240 by mieske33 Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:09 pm
24-09-2014
Same message here, the room ( in Amsterdam ) seemed to be too good to be true but there were some little things that made me doubt about this message. I googled the message and got to this page.
Hello,

I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Netherlands, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 2 parking spots in garage, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the price of 400 €/month. The deposit is also 400 €, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.
Now, a little bit about myself: My name is Christina Maria Murer and I'm a 44 years old graphic designer from London.
I have a lovely husband, Thomas and my daughter, Linda. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandmother :).

Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#220242 by Bryon Williams Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:35 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners mieske33,

What was the email address and phone numbers used?

If you have questions on rental scams feel free to ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#220324 by mieske33 Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:28 am
Hi The email address was
Christina Maria Murer ([email protected]

The telephone number was actually to a real-estate agency that was selling the place.
I think "Christina" put it here by mistake cause this was what also made me realize there was something wrong.

She removed the telephone number from the ad but the ad itself was on for a bit longer.
I warned the website about it. But I also send Christina a message I was on to her.
Maybe I should not have done that and just played along with it for a bit, I don't know but as I had to pay 20 euro first to become a member of this website and get contact info of the person who rents out the place, I was a bit pissed off about it.

Well the add is not on the site anymore.

Thanks for having this site !

Mies