Room for Rent and other rental scams
#97192 by crissgriss Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 pm
Because when things are too good to be true, they probably are:

When I approached this "landlord" I received the following:

Hi, I am unable to see your emial here, I think that is blocked, please get back to me at karstengild at gmail . com if you can see this
Thank you

It followed with:

Hello,
My name is Gild, I am from Denmark and the flat is still available for rent. It was redecorated last year is looking very nice and clean. Has a fully furnished kitchen, clean and well tidy sitting rooms, laundry room and fully furnished with home utilities like: electric shower, Lounge,Vacuum Cleaner,Toaster, Owen and microwave, dryer, iron, washing machine , refrigerator , dishwasher, power shower, heater, cable ready,TV set and DVD player, Internet connection, equipped kitchen and everything a house needs. I m interested in finding someone clean who can take care of this house more then getting money from renting it if you know what I mean.

Till last month the apartment was rented by some students from Germany and now they left and the apartment is available again for rent. The price I want is £490 per month,bills included and I am interested in a long term agreement,minimum 6 month!
If you are decided to view the flat and have the money I could come in the next few days to show you the apartment and maybe sign the tenancy agreement if you like my flat (I am sure you will love it) but first I have to be sure you really do need a place to live because two weeks ago a person from Portsmouth told me he is really interested and he asked me to go to Portsmouth to meet him and sign the tenancy agreement and when I arrived there no person showed up to rent my place and I lost time and money for nothing. Please accept my apologies if I am rude but I hope you will understand me!
I will wait for your e-mail,

and then:

Hello,
I will attach some pictures of the flat,floor plan and also a model of the rental contract! The flat is located on Duckworth House, Kent Street, PO1 3BX but I can`t give you the exact address because there`s no one living out there and I`m afraid of thieves and I do apologize for this but I hope you understand me because I`m in Denmark right now! The property benefits from access to beautifully maintained communal gardens and comprises reception room, kitchen with washing machine/tumble dryer, master bedroom with fitted wardrobes and en suite bathroom, second bedroom with fitted wardrobe and bathroom.Parking place is included too!
In the kitchen there is a dishwasher and also a Big fridge freezer! Regarding the council tax I can tell you that it is included in the price of £490 per month and also Sky TV,internet broadband,gas and electricity are also included in this price! I am interested in a minimum six month agreement and I request two months rent in advance plus the equivalent of one month as a refundable deposit which you will get back at the end of the contract.
Regarding the plumbings and all that kind of stuff I can tell you that the flat was recently renovated and all electrical part and plumbings are new so that won`t be necessary any repairs anyway I have a person who can manage this starting from June.
We can sign the rental contract starting from next weekend but I need to be sure that you have serious intentions in renting the flat that`s why I attached here a model of the rental contract and also we can discuss the terms when we will meet!
If you are decided to view the flat let me know because there is another person interested in reserving it!
Kind regards

and then:

Hi,
I can come this weekend to meet you and show you the flat! Will you be prepared to sign the tenancy agreement on Sunday in case that you will like the flat? I need to know because I don`t want to make two trips from Denmark.
Regards

and:

Hello,
We could meet and maybe sign the tenancy agreement this Sunday but you see these is due to previous predicament that I have gone through in the past trying to rent the property to some students,I have got to realize so many people are not really in need of an apartment all they do is secure a place in advance, My last experience in trying to rent the property to a particular lady had got me topredicate on these,she made me believe she was willing and ready to get the apartment she even went to the extend of showing me her statement of account,which made me took her for the viewing but after taking her for the viewing,she saw the apartment and got to love it and never wanted to loose it,so she kept pleading i retain it for her because she is not financially composed at the moment,which i did but end up disastrously.
So basically for me to be sure of you been willing and ready to get the apartment I will employ you walk into any Western Union agency and send the total bill cash £1470(two months rent and one month refundable deposit) to your partner's name (NOT to ME) or your partner can send it to you with location of Portsmouth or any other city in UK,All I need is for you to get back to me with the receipt issued to you after making the transaction so I can confirm it! When we will meet in person to sign the papers we will go together to Western Union and you will withdraw the cash and pay me in hand or you can pay me on Monday by bank transfer! I just need to see that you do have the money available and you do have serious intentions in renting the flat! If the Western Union agent will ask you about the receiver you should tell him that is a relative of yours because the transfer fees will be cheaper! If you will tell them the reason they might consider this a commercial transaction and charge you more. Anyway I will pay for it either you take the flat or not! I will book the flight for Sunday as soon as I have your positive answer !
I do apologise for that but as I told you last time when I arrived to Portsmouth to show the flat to a person everything was a stupid joke and I hope you understand me because I don`t want to waste my time and money on plane tickets..
Regards

This is a sign that I really thought I cached God by the feet:

Hi,
Please note that I didn t asked for any kind of advance payment and the main reason I asked you that is the fact that I can come only in weekend when the banks are closed and some Western Union agents are open 24hours!
Its simple! You could find a Western Union in your area! You just have to go to the Western Union agency with your ID and the cash ready,fill a paper with your name(sender) and the receiver name( the person who will cash out the money you sent when we will meet)! There s no need for the receiver to be present when you will go to the Western Union agency and I think that the fees for this money transfer will be cheaper if you send the money to a family member that s why I told you to tell the agent that the receiver is a relative of yours!
As soon as you made this transaction you will get the receipt and only the sender and the receiver have the right to cash out the money using their ID when you will do that-in fact on Sunday as soon as we sign the tenancy agreement! In this way I am sure you will have the money available in cash at the moment when we will meet on Sunday when the banks are closed and some Western Union agencies are open and you have the assurance that I will keep the flat reserved for you! Please send me some close up pictures of the receipt as soon as you made the transaction and have the receipt so I could buy the flight ticket in time! For the next payment we will use my bank account and all the things will be much easy!
I am very sorry if you cannot accept my terms and I wish you luck in finding a flat but I hope you could understand me that I can t risk come again without having any kind of assurance that I will meet someone who really need a home!
Best regards

and the last one, with the promise I will pay (NOT):

Hi,
Western Union is one of the biggest cash money transfer services in the world! You can find it in many other places on street! Its very easy to use because the sender and the receiver of the money can make the transfer only with their ID`s! There`s no need for both persons to be present,the sender just have to fill a form,have the cash ready and have to know the receiver`s details!
I promise I will reimburse you the 30 40 pounds , Western Union fees the first thing we meet, even before I will take you for the viewing this way you will know for sure that you will take it back even if you decide not to rent the place. We will then proceed with the viewing, I will provide you with my ownership papers so you can check them out for your peace of mind and if you decide to sign the agreement I will give you the keys and then you will cash out the money and pay me. Also please keep in mind that if the western union agent will ask you about the receiver you should tell them that you are relatives or something because if you will tell the the whole story they might consider this a commercial transaction and charge you more. That`s my number in case you need more details +45 3695 9794!
Please don`t forget to send me some close up pictures of the receipts so I could check it out! Have a nice evening!
Thanks

I do tried to get as much information from him, I also proposed to send him money right now in his account, but he refused to give me any account.He gave me a telephone number, i don't know if helps.+45 3695 9794

I am attaching also the email header, the last Received. I tried to track it down but I was unfortunate.
Received: by 10.68.233.198 with HTTP; Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much for everything.
Advertisement

#123499 by claire_mally Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:40 am
OMG........

We have just had the exact samne emails about this propert and the only things that are different are the name and the email address!!!

These people shud be stopped and slammed in the nick!!

everyone please be carefull about anyone saying they are working out of country etc and like the other guy says if its too good to be true then it IS!!!
#123548 by Bubbles Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:20 am
Welcome to ScamWarners. Please post up the email address you received the email from so others can be warned. Thank you.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#176363 by belever Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:16 pm
omg... please people be very careful, the same thing happened to me today!!!!and careful because he will send you all the photos and bills and everything and finally ask you for the payment to western union. Denmark person called stefen olegen!!!! with exactly same emails!!!! :twisted:
#219546 by scarlett11 Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:33 am
So I had this email which is a total scam as I had the the same email last year too!!
These people should be locked up do not fall for it!!!!

I doubt these people are even in the uk!

At first I recieved this email :
Hello and thanks for your interest, the flat is still available. I am not able to send you photos and more info as your email address is hidden for some reason. Can you please get back to me at [email protected]

SO I SENT THEM MY EMAIL THEN I RECIEVE THIS: Hello,
My name is Lopen, I am from Denmark and the flat is still available for rent. It was redecorated last year, is looking very nice and clean. It's fully furnished , has home utilities like: vacuum cleaner, toaster, oven and microwave, dryer, iron, washing machine , refrigerator , dishwasher, power shower, heater, cable ready,TV set and DVD player, Internet connection and everything a house needs. I'm interested in finding someone clean who can take care of this house more then getting money from renting it if you know what I mean.
The price I want is £400 per month, bills included and I am interested in a long term agreement, minimum 6 months!
If you are decided to view the flat and have the money I could come in the next few days to show you the apartment and maybe sign the tenancy agreement if you like my flat (I am sure you will love it) but first I have to be sure you really do need a place to live because two weeks ago a person told me he is really interested and he asked me to go to Plymouth to meet him and sign the tenancy agreement and when I arrived there no one showed up to rent my place and I lost time and money for nothing. Please accept my apologies if I am rude but I hope you will understand me! I will wait for your e-mail

ITS SO BAD WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING REPORT THEM PEOPLE!!!!!
DO NOT FALL FOR IT AND REMEMBER IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS!!!!!
#226160 by BrendanOB Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:26 pm
This happened to myself too during August 2014. I've been trying to contact Western Union about it but they have been less than helpful.

The only way for this to stop is if we all harassed WU enough for them to tighten security and harassed the police enough for them to take it seriously. For one thing I know that the person is in or around London as on the night I realized what was happening I called Western Union and discovered they had it on record where the money was taken out of and the time.

I left it to my friend to sort it out for a while as I was too stressed and then later realized nothing was happening and after a while of struggling by and just phoning the company regularly asking for updates, pressure is too much now. The only way to resolve it is if everyone who has been taken in by this person complain enough that the police really do something about it.
#226193 by vonpaso xlura Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:02 am
I'm sorry to hear you were scammed. Any time you are told to send money by Western Union to rent an apartment, it is a scam. The writing style of the email is obviously West African. Any time you notice either of these traits, cut off communication and don't give the scammer any clue why. (Of course, if you're renting an apartment in West Africa, expect West African writing, but drop it at the first mention of WU or MG.)

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10