Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#10062 by scott Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
I sell all the time. I have been accumulating a list of scammers. You can add these names to your list, if they aren't already on it.
VENNESSA BAXTER, JOSH PAUL, JEFFREY LEE, JAMES SCOTT, JANET COLE, MIKE COLE, JAMES RUSSELL, CHRIS MARCUS, CHRIS BAKERS, BENJAMIN WEST, CHARLES RODRIGUES, WENDY WILLIAMS, RICK GOLD, JOEL BENSON, TUNSAM LEO, TONY SEGZEE, FABIO GOMES, BRYAN SALBACH, SHANE TOMMY, KENNY SURRYCHEN, JOHN GLOVER, BRUCES SMITH, DR. WHITNEY RAY, CRAIG WOOD.
Advertisement

#10063 by Holly Brown Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 pm
Thank you, Scott.

Do you have proof that these people are scammers? An email from them, with headers (if you can get them) and their email address would be even more helpful.

Be sure to remove anything that points to you, though - such as your email addy or name.

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.
#10992 by enerolf Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:59 pm
I just got an email from Bryan Salbach [[email protected]] and thank you for listing him on your scammer list. His email sounded like a fake. He wanted me to give him my name and address and cell phone number so that he could send a check for an item that he wanted to buy sight unseen. So when I checked him out I found his name on your sight. Thanks. Enerolf
#11029 by Ralph Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:26 am
Hi Enerolf

Welcome to Scamwarners

Glad to hear we we able to show proof that the person is a scammer before you lost money, thanks also for the additional information

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
Last edited by Ralph on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#11188 by enerolf Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:33 pm
Hi
This is pretty much along the same lines as the last scam letter that I got on another sale item. Is this name on the scam warners list? erick smith [[email protected]] the PAY WITH DRAFT part below is very similar to most other scams letters.
I hope that this helps someone else.
Enerolf

'Hello
I appreciate your response to my inquiry. Am interested in
buying it from you. I would love to come and check it myself but I
just got married and am presently on an honeymoon trip to Hawaii with
my wife. Pls kindly withdraw ,with immediate effect, the advert from
Web as i don't mind adding $50 for you to do that, so i can be rest
assured that the item is held for me. I should believe it is in good
condition as stated. will be making the payment via a Certified
Check, which my secretary will mail across to you. I'll be picking
the item from you with the aid of my mover.
My Mover will be coming to
pick it from you once the Certified Check has been cashed.[/b][/b] Pls I will
need both your full name and physical address to issue out the
payment.
Hope to read back
>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Oak Bedroom Set - $500 (Sun City) Reply to:
> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:36:03 -0700"
#11189 by AlanJones Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:35 am
Hi enerolf,

Thanks for posting these new details, they may well save someone else from being scammed.

Based on the facts that he wants to buy sight unseen and involve movers (who he will no doubt want you to send the money to) I would say this is definitely a scam.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#15672 by Jovigal Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 am
I am glad I Googled the name of the person that sent me an email. I listed a piano for sale in the Penny Saver and got a response from a Tony Segzee. Now I know, thanks to your site, not to have anything to do with this person. Here is his email address in case you are interested.

segzee tony <[email protected]>
View Contact
#15674 by Ralph Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:08 am
Hi Jovigal

Welcome to Scamwarners

I am very happy that we have been able to help you avoid being scammed

Thank you for posting the new email address used, if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#15680 by Arnold Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:12 am
Thanks for that. Scammers' email addresses are always useful, but that doesn't mean that an advert is genuine, because a Google search comes up with nothing.
You also want to watch for give-away signs like
The email being addressed to "undisclosed recipients" or not addressed to you.
It refers to the"item" not the piano or whatever.
The lack of the questions that a genuine purchaser would ask.
Being offered extra payment if you withdraw the advert.
The check including the cost of delivery to be sent on to an imaginary delivery service via Western Union.

How many of these signs are in your email?

#26324 by websford Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm
Here is the scam email I received

--

Hello I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to
consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid
disturbance from another buyer.I want you to know that i will be
paying via bank certified check .So i want to be the best offer by
adding $50 to your money and i hope you will keep this item for me..I
will like you to provide me with the following.information to
facilitate the mailing of the check to you .

1.....Full name to write on the check
2.....Full Physical address to post the check (NOT P.O BOX)
3.....City, State and Zip Code
4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you

*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT
DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check** Thanks i can trust you on this so we can
move forward from here. Regards

Have A Nice Day

thanks
#26338 by Ralph Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Hi Websford and welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for posting the email from this scammer, there are a few tell tale signs of a scam in there that I will highlight.

Notice the lack of a space after punctuation and some of the unusual wording, they are common mistakes made by Africans.

There is the added $50 for your trouble, in reality just to make you more likely to accept his offer and to "compensate" you for any inconvenience.

Payment by cheque which will be a fake or drawn on a compromised bank account, legitmate buyers generally know that payment by cheque is not accepted and would not ask, to a scammer, that is how their scam works so it an essential part of their scam

Not refering to what the actual item is and calling it "item", this is because they will use the same email to send to people selling all kinds of things, the items being sold are irrelevant to this scammer, he is only interested in the over payment and asking you to forward money by Western Union to another person.

The introduction of a "shipping company", this is the person that you will be asked to pay a delivery fee to and where the scam comes into play, the "shipping company" is in fact the same scammer so any money sent to him will be lost and gone forever.

There are other variations on this scam where the buyer asks to pay by paypal, you will receive an email that appears to be from paypal telling you the money has been deposited, there will be an excuse as to why your account does not show details of the transaction that will not be solved until you send either money or your item to another person, the paypal variation takes 2 forms;

There is the scammer who actually wants you to send your goods, (usually smaller elecectrical items such as laptops) then there is the scammer who wants your money, usually larger items such as cars or boats.

In both of these variations, the email from "Paypal" will be from a fake email address made up by the original scammer
#26959 by tjp0212 Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am
uh oh... i got an email from fabio gomes, i gave him my info...crap...what is going to happen and what should i do?

Hello I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you toconsider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoiddisturbance from another buyer.I want you to know that i will bepaying via bank certified check .So i want to be the best offer byadding $50 to your money and i hope you will keep this item for me..Iwill like you to provide me with the following.information tofacilitate the mailing of the check to you . 1.....Full name to write on the check2.....Full Physical address to post the check (NOT P.O BOX)3.....City, State and Zip Code4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you *** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXTDAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not beresponsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon asyou have cashed the check** Thanks i can trust you on this so we canmove forward from here. Regards Have A Nice Day thanks
#35927 by angeline263 Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am
Hello-- I have received 3 emails from Janet Cole regarding a mattress I am selling on craigslist DC.

First craigslist post:

[email protected]
Is this still up for sale?

[email protected]
Hello,

Thanks for the response... I'm okay with the condition and price of the item and ready for its purchase. My form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day air delivery.
I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers fee will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after check has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside the item.
And secondly , Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you and it would be sad for me to have the payment in the mail only to be informed of the its sale.I will also wait for you to cash the check before i have my mover come for pick up.
Would have love to come over for viewing but I'm afraid that might not be possible due to my work frame. If you have more pics please send so I can have a good look. Do get back to me with your full name and address (not p.o box) including your cell and land number so I can make out payment.Also am deaf and will like to be contacted via email
Regards
Thanks

Second Craigslist post:
[email protected]
Is this still up for sale?

I did not give out any personal information. I just wanted to make these email addresses public.
Thanks!
#36202 by Dotti Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:50 am
Thanks for posting and welcome to scamwarners.

By getting the newest information out, you may very well help others to avoid being scammed, and keep more money out of the pockets of scammers!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.